Laptop WIN for DAW most silent

humbuk

Hi, I'm looking for a laptop with Windows for DAW (Nuendo). Min. 16gbRAM(better 32), 1T storage and 15"-16" display. If I look at the CPU parameters, the 12700H seems good to me.
But essential for working with sound are quiet fans. Can you please advise me of a suitable and above all quiet laptop? Do you have experience with Dell 7620 16 plus - Inspiron?
Thank,you

In my experience, Dell laptops have a tendency of being noisy . In fact, every windows laptop I’ve ever used have had noisy fans. Nuendo works in Mac as well and Macs are notoriously quiet(er). 
If you want power and silence I think you need to look at Microsoft surface book or the likes, like the windows MacBooks if you know what I mean. 

Humbuk, 

I have had 2 Dell and 4 HP laptops over the past 10 to 12 years. They ALL have developed fan noise. Either ticks or bearing whir. Very annoying. The only laptop I have owned that is still very very quiet, after 6 years, is an Asus except when I am exporting a GPU accelerated video timelime. Then the GPU dedicated fan spins up. Everything about the Asus is superior in my view. 

If silent running is extremely important to you you can get a windows laptop without high end graphics and no GPU or CPU fan at all. My wife has a thin profile Asus that emits no operating sound at all. No fans. 

Hope this helps. 

I do have an asus laptop too, which is quite silent but it is HUGE. It’s a gaming laptop from 2012 which still runs like a cat, sort of. No noisy fan but audible enough that you can’t record in the same room, if treated. I have it in my bedroom where the ambient noise drowns it out. It has a dedicated GPU. 

I have been a Windows user since forever, but I must admit that I agree with Olle: in term of noise the MacBooks pro are impressively quiet. Power consumption is also impressive especially since the M1 chip.

I have not purchased one recent yet though so I cannot give a reference for certain but looking at spec it seems no PC beats can beat them.

So I borrowed a Mackbook with an M1 and compared it with an average (rather slightly below average) PC laptop. And a very big miracle about the M1 does not happen. I tested in Nuendo. The Macbook played high definition video where the PC couldn't (but the PC has a low-cost onboard graphics card). In terms of performance, the M1 handles slightly more tracks and plugins compared to the CPU 11390H, but really minimally. The main difference (good for audio post) is absolute silence from the fan on the MAC side.
But I can't say that I would fundamentally lean to one side of the comparison. MAC more expensive but quiet.

• 1 month later...