I'm going SOLAR!

However, Al Gore, who is the biggest spokesperson and booster of reducing man's impact on the environment, lives his life in a totally opposite direction. Gore owns two sprawling mansions with carbon footprints several times the size of a small nation. I think he's a hypocrite and a phony.

RL

"I think he's a hypocrite and a phony" so is that why need to go nuclear?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As they often say in our business, judge the art, not the artist.  There are some awfully great films made by drunks, womanizers, scoundrels and dare I say, hypocrites.  Doesn't lessen the power of their work.  Whether you think Al Gore is a bum or not is irrelevant.  It's his work that has gotten people fired up on both sides of the issue.  If his film is accurate it's just as accurate no matter where the filmmaker lives.

[quote author=Richard Lightstone, CAS link=topic=5970.msg46376#msg46376

However, Al Gore, who is the biggest spokesperson and booster of reducing man's impact on the environment, lives his life in a totally opposite direction. Gore owns two sprawling mansions with carbon footprints several times the size of a small nation. I think he's a hypocrite and a phony.

Thats just the thing, his film was made using bad information, which has been proven false time and time again. The UN has admitted it, the EU wont accept it, Gore wont appear in front of the US Congress and prove it. He preaches how to live and does the exact opposite, from his place that uses 10 times the average monthly utilities (love the satellite and thermal imaging photos of his house), to only flying via private jet, to now this place in CA. The only man made disaster here is his film and his impact on this world.

The only man-made disaster here?  Not counting what's happening in the Gulf, the Exxon Valdez, the fires in Kuwait after the Iraqi retreat, Chernobyl.....?  Al's house is stupid.  The film may contain info that has now been proven incorrect.  Science gets overturned all the time, and guys with big egos buy big houses.  But the accumulation of disasters relating to oil and nuclear power continues unabated.

Philip Perkins

Shine the light of truth on any politician and you will see a "Hypocrite". They have always been snake oil, smoke n mirrors, sellers of sizzle, not steak. Lets not make lists of the fools n clowns who take sides and preach. Walk n talk the life like Jeff n Billy n Scott and many others.

My family came from and did well in the oil patch in old California, but it is/was a dirty biz. That was the way of last century. This is the country that put a man on the moon when we had no business even trying. I love us and that spirit. We can and will do better than oil, nuke, or coal. Keep your eyes open as well as your minds. The system need rebuilding. Let's do it.

CrewC

lol, how many components in nuclear plants were made by Halliburton (the same people who made the now famous blow out preventer which is preventing nothing a mile under the Gulf of Mexico). 

Completely random fact correction: The Blowout Preventer Stack was made by Cameron. it consisted of two Cameron TL double shears, a Cameron TL single shear, and a DL annular BOP. Halliburton did the cement work.

Anyway, I will rant a little...

I've got some family and friends in the oil and merchant shipping sectors. it's been interesting getting their views on the rig accident.

Oil is a truly international industry, and this accident yields this mouthful (compiled from a few different people):

How did an exploration drill rig built in Korea, flagged by the Marshall islands, owned and run by a company headquartered in Zug, Switzerland, but with primary operations in Texas, with major subcontracting services by a former US company now based in Dubai, operating in the US Exclusive Economic Zone on contract to a British company, with Vietnamese supplied risers, American BOP equipment, and selling oil on the world market create the worst oil spill the US has seen since the Exxon Valdez?

Anyway, it would be nice if we stopped externalizing costs, and calculated the true cost of energy sources. Oil spills, radiation leaks, uranium mines leach, coal ash floods valleys, windmills need steel, rare earth metals and nasty carbon fiber resin, solar panels need heavy metals, geothermal can mess up water tables, natural gas fracking...

We all bear just a little of the externalized cost of energy, regardless of the source. Usually, it's a few months of life expectancy (mercury from coal ash, unregulated fracking chemicals in the water table, or perhaps leached cadmium from thin film PV plants), or a neighbor who doesn't know how to compost meat scraps. The gulf spill is much more than that. It will ruin local industries...So it gives us the opportunity to examine costs more holistically.

I guess I would ask what energy sources have the lowest total cost, including those which are typically ignored and just dumped on the people as a whole. Then I would ask we concentrate on those energy sources. What CrewC said: Let's do it.

Thanks for the fact check.  But not sure it's a relief.  Cameron is a major player in making components for nuclear plants too.

Completely random fact correction: The Blowout Preventer Stack was made by Cameron. it consisted of two Cameron TL double shears, a Cameron TL single shear, and a DL annular BOP. Halliburton did the cement work.

• 7 years later...