Microphone Data resource is back with a new name Micpedia

The Immoral Mr Teas

I got a nice surprise with my spam this morning, an email from John Anderson letting me know that microphone-data.com has been resurrected and relaunched as Micpedia.com

https://micpedia.com

(Note I just typed that out - it's not working for me at least as a link, but should be easy enough for any of you to type/find)

I haven't looked at it yet but the old mic-data was a very useful and much missed resource, particularly for comparing stuff at a glance (relative sensitivities between mics the like) and for vintage models. I hope this is as good, if not even better, and wish them the best of luck.

Jez

linked worked fro me also. They say it is the Rycote microphone database they have put online. It seems the "production status" data is not up to date, far from it (MK6 schoeps still "in production" 😅) so they have just used the old data without doing much work on it. the search is also not very useful. 

Cheers Philip and Fred. I agree it could do with some sorting out: my greatest bugbear is the super narrow scroll bar on the side, which I had tons of trouble grasping with the mouse - considering how much scrolling down (and pressing 'load more') I had to do just to see if a mic was in the database or not. As Fred says, the 'search' sometimes found what I wanted, sometimes didn't, even when the mic was there. It used to be strictly alphabetical (by manufacturer and model number) - it now half holds to this and half loads upon what I can only presume is 'most viewed' or something ... so I did (or tried to do) a lot of scrolling down and loading more mics (Sennheisers my first try, Schoeps my second, Neumann third ...) until I found what I wanted or it ran out of mics.

I will report my ideas to them (rather than here) when I've had more time using it. I'm very pleased to have it back however, and hope they manage to expand the library side of it to include the like of 'The Stereophonic Zoom' and vintage schematics ...

Jez

Hi everyone, thanks for checking out the site and for your comments. We're working on a new search solution. The issue is currently if the query isn't exactly the same term (with spaces in the right places) the result doesn't show. We're finding a better solution. Keep in mind that you can also filter the database by selecting manufactuer at top (there are over 200) and using the filters at left. We will be publishing all the docs that were present on the Microphone Data site, plus a bunch of new content we have commissioned.

Regarding the data itself, we've tried to clean it up and keep it current but certainly there will be things we missed. We've also expanded it considerably. Plots and curves will be coming soon as well.

Hope you find it useful!

John