Boom Recorder 7.24

Hi,

It may be a bit fast because I told the operating system that Boom Recorder doesn't need caching when writing the audio files.

Caching causes a lot of memory to be used and the operating system will bursts very large writes to disk when the memory is filled up or when it feels like it. When you have more memory it gets worse because the operating system is able to write with even larger bursts.

With this change, the operating system can be more aggressive with writes, because it knows that no-one wants to play back the file any time soon. The operating system now uses less memory, and the audio is written with much smaller burst.

This change was needed when I was experimenting with raw video, which allowed me to push 65MB/sec to a single ATA disk while making Boom Recorder feel solid. I removed the raw video recording, but I kept this change.

And yes 7.25 superseded 7.25d, it is a bit confusing, I use the letter notation for release candidates.

I'm in the process of buying a Mac Mini. This should work on a Mac Mini with Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 correct? Just making sure.

Thanks

Nicole

Be advised that it is very likely that the Mac Mini is going to be upgraded quite soon. We don't know what the new model will be but if you're not in a huge hurry to put this together I would wait at least a month to see what's available.

-  Jeff Wexler

Be advised that it is very likely that the Mac Mini is going to be upgraded quite soon. We don't know what the new model will be but if you're not in a huge hurry to put this together I would wait at least a month to see what's available.

-  Jeff Wexler

And the recent Mini models that come with Snow Leopard installed are worth the extra bucks if you are in a rush. Firewire 800, a better and faster video card and the ability to address 4 GB of RAM make it a quicker machine than the older Intel Minis.

Best regards,

Jim

p.s. Anyone here using a Mac Mini with BR?

Yes. It runs fine. The Mini is a great platform for Boom Recorder, although if I had it to do over again with the gear available today I'd be all over a 13" MacBook Pro. In the long run, it would have proved to be far less expensive when you consider all the extra stuff the Mini requires for the work I do.

I've been running it for the last 18 or 20 months. In addition to Richard (and many others here I'm sure), Billy Sarokin is running it for additional tracks.

Best regards,

Jim

I like the fact that the Mac Mini has a small footprint. I have a 1TB G-Tech about $250, a TFT touchscreen, $125 and an indestructible rubber keyboard, $25. Maybe it all adds up to the cost of a nice 13" MacBook Pro?

This means I don't have an expensive computer exposed to the elements and the components are much cheaper to replace or upgrade than a brand new computer.

RL

post-284-130815086894_thumb.jpg

Richard,

I really love your set-up.  But I find myself getting smaller these days.  Next step is trying the CL-9.

Nicole,

I used BR for a few years with a G4 iMac and then the new Intel MacBook.  The performance improvement was noticeable on the MacBook, and I too enjoyed using a laptop which I could take with me.  But if you are getting something that will live on the cart, I believe the Mac Mini is the way to go.  Richard's setup is sweet.

Robert

I like the fact that the Mac Mini has a small footprint. I have a 1TB G-Tech about $250, a TFT touchscreen, $125 and an indestructible rubber keyboard, $25. Maybe it all adds up to the cost of a nice 13" MacBook Pro?

This means I don't have an expensive computer exposed to the elements and the components are much cheaper to replace or upgrade than a brand new computer.

RL

I'm still a big fan of my Mini. I put it on the cart for all the reasons Richard lists: size, price and the individual component piece most particularly. I suspect the reason I'm down on the Mini at the moment is about an odd problem that has hit the Carnetix power supply I run the Mini off combined with my failing eyesight. The power supply won't act up when I can figure out what's up with it and the little Xenarc 7" monitor I'm using is hard for me to see. I'd be happy to hear what other folks are using.

I also do need to go see the eye doc, new bifocals are probably part of the solution as well.

So when my power supply went intermittent on a job recently, I ran BR on the Macbook Pro and was lots less tired at the end of the day. I gotta get the power supply fixed, get a new prescription for the specs and perhaps replace the monitor.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

Best "fix" is a new set of eye glasses. I was even having problems reading my sides, until my new prescription on my progressive lenses made me see like a twenty year old again!

I have a 7" Ex-Audio TFT touchscreen and yes it's small. As I noted in another thread, Extreme Audio has either gone out of business or something else - because an order I placed and paid for never got to me. That has since been resolved by Pay Pal.

I do like a touchscreen; don't need a mouse.

Ikan sells the V8000-T http://www.ikancorp.com/productInfo.php?id=93

I'm sure others will chime in with many other suppliers.

RL

• 3 weeks later...

I recently upgraded my mac to OS 10.6.3 and can't seem to get the sound reports to generate. I know that this was the main reason for this version. I was pretty sure it worked at first upgrade, but now all of the sudden, nothing. Anyone else on 10.6.3, and having this issue? And yes J2N, I've already sent an email to Take!