Ear Crash Investigation

Hi Everyone

I thought it might be useful to start a topic on protecting our ears, if anyone has any tips on how to avoid unnecessary levels, thumps, bumps please share, do any of our members use limiters on the headphone output ?.

Often depending on the script I come home with tired ears to say the least, and any help to protect our most precious ears would be of great value to everyone.

Kindest Regards

Brian

Same here. Tired ears and a headache after long hours of shooting. A limiter sounds a good idea. What I do is trying to monitor in low level. On my 744 i use the headphone knob at 11 o'clock and sometime during the day I might go even more just to check something really quick.

Best regards,

Marco.

I use these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX29/

Because they isolate so well, you can turn the HP volume down to a comfortable level without getting too much bleed-in from sound in the room.  When I was using Sony cans I always had to keep them turned up pretty loud, which would kill my ears by the end of a long day.  I rarely have listening fatigue with these, because I rarely have to turn the volume up.

Only problem is they can make on-set communication pretty difficult, unless whoever is talking to you happens to be standing in front of the boom.  I've gotten in the habit of taking one side off between every take, whereas I used to just leave the cans on and turn down my HP level when someone tried to talk to me.

I don't think I'd be comfortable using a limiter on the HP output, because that would affect the way the audio sounds.  If you introduce a change in the quality or dynamics of the sound between the mixer/recorder's output and your monitor, then how will you know that you're accurately monitoring anything?

I personally have a small speaker system on my cart, so I can monitor the set during set up time.

It's a 15 year old Cambridge SoundWorks system. With a small amplifier sub woofer and two satellite speakers. Here is a link to their latest incarnation: http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/Cambridge-SoundWorks-MicroWorks-II-Amplified-MultimediaComputer/M/B00345FI14.htm

I often keep the speakers on right up until the cast is on the set and ready for rehearsals; only wearing my headsets when we rehearse or shoot. That has helped me avoid hearing fatigue and probably kept my hearing intact over my mixing career.

I'm not alone, many other mixers do the same. The late David Ronne had a special box he built that his trusty Nagra sat on. It had a speaker and a volume control and would mute automatically when you went into record.

I know I'm off topic here, but David was responsible for the Roll-Logic and the Car-Com system and many other innovative products.

I miss him and his ever interesting inventions.

RL

Guest BobD

I will usually monitor VERY hot while I sort out the mix, and during the first couple of takes... then I back it down quite a bit when I am feeling good about what I have going....  For whatever reason, I need to hear it hot to really get a grip on the EQ and the mic mounts... 

I sometimes even monitor quietly from my cart speaker provided I am far enough off the set...  Again, only when I am feeling good about what I have going.... 

Leaving it too hot all the time over the years has left me with the desire to climb in a deep hole after work. I also find myself loosing patience with noisy environments...

Remote audio makes a set of high noise/spl level isolation headphones based on the 7506 internals.  Bought a pair for working on Pinks for the Speed Channel.  They put you in the box right next to the dragster cars which are ridiculously loud.  I use them sometimes when I'm on the street in NYC so I don't have to deal with the noise coming through the headphones themselves.  Only problem is they could have done a better job on the headphone jack quality.  I think their rated for 30 db of reduction from external sounds.  Weird feeling when you put them on though.  Almost like putting your head under water.

J. Hemmerlin

I did a day on Pinks two weeks ago in Charlotte.  It was the first time I'd used the High Noise 7506s.  Very effective.  Standing right next to the dragster and was very comfortable.  (except when one of the dragsters had side pipes then I got to feel the power).  A bit snug and sweaty tho'. 

...A bit snug and sweaty tho'. 

Jeff,

Try the Beyer cushions on your HNs.  Less sweat and more comfortable.

http://tinyurl.com/5pmhgl

Don't be fooled by the cutout in the center.  It actually has foam padding in the center.  It appears that B&H edited the Beyer picture to make their house-brand knock-offs look superior.  Buy the real thing.

The Beyers offer a little less isolation than the originals, but are more comfortable in more situations.

John B.

I did a day on Pinks two weeks ago in Charlotte.  It was the first time I'd used the High Noise 7506s.  Very effective.  Standing right next to the dragster and was very comfortable.  (except when one of the dragsters had side pipes then I got to feel the power).  A bit snug and sweaty tho'. 

Yes, the rubbery material is weird and not really ideal for the warmer days.

Rather amazing experience being right next to the cars like that?  Next endeavor is to actually be in one sometime.

J. Hemmerlin