1/2 or 1/4 wave antenna for bag setup

Ben Sim

Hi everybody,

I’m thinking about the best antenna for my bag setup:
- AudioWireless DADM226 distribution
- Wisycom MCR42 and MPR30 Recievers

My dealer sold me 1/2 wave Shure antennas: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434782-REG/shure_ua8_470_636_wideband_antenna_for_front.html

But I'm not happy with the lenght, as stick out of my bag pretty much. So I'm thinking about 1/4 wave antennas.

The DADM BNC connectors are next so each other so I have to put at least one cable for one antenna to have different positions.

I'd also like to mount at least one of the antennas to my ORCA harness at shoulder height to have a higher position.

I made some experiments comparing my 1/2 wave to 1/4 wave, 1 mounted to the DADM, 1 at the harness. Also compared the Bowties. In this test I had similar reception with all of these antennas, so I tend to use the 1/4 wave due to the smaller size.

But is there anything I'm not thinking of correctly?

I read something, that it's not recommended mounting 1/4 wave whips directly to a BNC cable?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 2:35 PM, Ben Sim said:

Hi everybody,

I’m thinking about the best antenna for my bag setup:
- AudioWireless DADM226 distribution
- Wisycom MCR42 and MPR30 Recievers

My dealer sold me 1/2 wave Shure antennas: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434782-REG/shure_ua8_470_636_wideband_antenna_for_front.html

But I'm not happy with the lenght, as stick out of my bag pretty much. So I'm thinking about 1/4 wave antennas.

The DADM BNC connectors are next so each other so I have to put at least one cable for one antenna to have different positions.

I'd also like to mount at least one of the antennas to my ORCA harness at shoulder height to have a higher position.

I made some experiments comparing my 1/2 wave to 1/4 wave, 1 mounted to the DADM, 1 at the harness. Also compared the Bowties. In this test I had similar reception with all of these antennas, so I tend to use the 1/4 wave due to the smaller size.

But is there anything I'm not thinking of correctly?

I read something, that it's not recommended mounting 1/4 wave whips directly to a BNC cable?

Thanks!

If you have a proper ground plane, a 1/4 antenna have more gain than a 1/2 dipole