ERX -- How did I ever work without them!

Ron Scelza

Dear All,

Heads up on the ERX and Zaxnet, WOW!

Two are hanging on the Red’s for TC and one channel of audio... The other two are being fought over!  They are crystal clear with a great range….  Most surprising is the demand by the “DP” he loves em…  (: Hide them :)

The Director asks…  “Why isn’t everyone using these?”

Don’t get me started on the 992! (Boom ops dream)

Flourish & Prosper

Sincerely

Ron Scelza CAS

Guest BobD

The Director asks…  “Why isn’t everyone using these?â€

I'll answer that.....

Because everyone has turned into cheap Fu*ks and nobody wants to pay for anything anymore...  Why should I go out and spend thousands more to make some DP or director gleeful when they are clueless about the bulls*it we put up with from their producers trying to maintain our equipment rates...

These days, every show starts with the line, and say this with a squeaky, timid and sorrowful voice,  "We really have a limited budget on this one..."  were shooting on a wee cam, and with a reduced crew....

Yeah, makes me want to run out and buy more expensive gear to go with the truck full I already own,  to make those idiots smile.... 

Yeah, you'll get that client, then argue with the producer to recoup your costs.... There are more ways to skin the cat...  or goat... in this case for those who know what that means... :)

Rant off... 

Guest BobD

I would hate to run into BobD on a bad day.

I actually said it with a smile....  The whole scenario is so typical, nice trick gear that nobody wants to pay for..... It's all good!!  Hope your well Jeff!! B

I actually said it with a smile....  The whole scenario is so typical, nice trick gear that nobody wants to pay for..... It's all good!!  Hope your well Jeff!! B

I know what you mean...  just ribbing you on the rant. I used to be the worst on this whole equipment thing, buying the best stuff because I wanted to use it, knowing full well that I could never charge the production more even though I was using better gear. Most of the top gear I have took a very long time to pay off and some of it never gets paid off because I have bought something new to replace it. Where I have benefited, however, is it has allowed me to do better work, I believe, instead of just limping along with whatever I have that I can get by with. Sometimes, more often than not, this translated into my getting another job.

I know what you mean...  just ribbing you on the rant. I used to be the worst on this whole equipment thing, buying the best stuff because I wanted to use it, knowing full well that I could never charge the production more even though I was using better gear. Most of the top gear I have took a very long time to pay off and some of it never gets paid off because I have bought something new to replace it. Where I have benefited, however, is it has allowed me to do better work, I believe, instead of just limping along with whatever I have that I can get by with. Sometimes, more often than not, this translated into my getting another job.

And....it makes you happy....  We live with that gear every day, and it's hard not to see it as a reflection of yourself, your worth, your relative success, like your car only worse (I hope you are spending more time driving your cart than driving your car...).  A famous mixer once told me (paraphrasing): "things like the board (he was a music guy) you buy for you--they never really make back what they cost but you have to live and work with it every day, and life is short...."

Philip Perkins

When I bought my first Audio Ltd Quad box in 1994 my third, the one and only Rich Murphy, looked on horrified as I handed over a check for almost $20,000.  He thought I was nuts until we started using it.  Then he realized that the ulcers it prevented made it more than worth the price.

Billy Sarokin

When I bought my first Audio Ltd Quad box in 1994 my third, the one and only Rich Murphy, looked on horrified as I handed over a check for almost $20,000.  He thought I was nuts until we started using it.  Then he realized that the ulcers it prevented made it more than worth the price.

Billy Sarokin

...and then there are the gastric issues, of course.

Philip Perkins

" The Director asks…  “Why isn’t everyone using these?” "

I'm pretty much in agreement with the points of Bob's rant...

I'd probably say something along the lines of "let xxx (producer, line producer, UPM) know what you need, and he can arrange it"  that arrangement being $$$.

I, too, have always liked to have the best toys to work with, but particularly on low budget projects (where production nickel and dimes me down) when it comes to what gets  handed over to others, like RX's, and headphones, I often apply my rule to production: 'Generally speaking, you get what you pay for!'

stuff gets at least as much 'wear and tear' on free gigs as it does on paid ones!

Dear All,

Heads up on the ERX and Zaxnet, WOW!

Two are hanging on the Red’s for TC and one channel of audio... The other two are being fought over!  They are crystal clear with a great range….  Most surprising is the demand by the “DP” he loves em…  (: Hide them :)

The Director asks…  “Why isn’t everyone using these?”

Don’t get me started on the 992! (Boom ops dream)

Flourish & Prosper

Sincerely

Ron Scelza CAS

Ron, any chance you could share what kind of range you were getting with these

and if using an external antenna what type/kind?

Im very very close to pulling the trigger on these.

Thanks.

We are using abackfire dish antenna, have not exceeded thrange yet average 250 ft

Ron SCELZA

" The Director asks…  “Why isn’t everyone using these?” "

I'm pretty much in agreement with the points of Bob's rant...

I'd probably say something along the lines of "let xxx (producer, line producer, UPM) know what you need, and he can arrange it"  that arrangement being $$$.

I, too, have always liked to have the best toys to work with, but particularly on low budget projects (where production nickel and dimes me down) when it comes to what gets  handed over to others, like RX's, and headphones, I often apply my rule to production: 'Generally speaking, you get what you pay for!'

I've made a few changes to my 2.4 gig/ERX rig and it has greatly improved range and seems to have eliminated any interference with wi-fi.  My old rig might have had a bad cable or connection which was causing problems, but now my ifb range is usually better than my UHF range.  If I can figure out how to post a photo here I'll do it, but in words...

My IFB antenna output is connected to a DC injector buried deep in my cart (the DC injector sends 12 through the antenna cable to the amp).  The 12v from my power buss is also connected to the injector.  The rf output of the injector goes to a bnc female on the side of my cart.  Three BNC rf cables go to my antenna tree attached to the cart.  The tree has 2 Zaxcom paddles on the edges and a weird 2.4 gig directional in the middle WITH a linear amp attached to the antenna (Zaxcom recommended the antenna, I do not know what it's called.  The amp boosts the 2.4 gig to almost 1 watt.  It does not have any adverse effect with the UHF receiving antennas.  Cable loss with 2.4 gig is severe.  That's why I mount the amp right at the antenna.  Whatever loss there is getting to the antenna is nullified by the amp.  If you want a photo send me your email.

All that said, I was amazed at how well the IFB did with just a stubby 2.4 gig antenna mounted directly on the ifb xtr.  It easily covered the entire stage. 

Best,

Billy Sarokin

Placing the amp AT the antenna is a really good idea and makes perfect sense. The whole "DC insertion/powering" thing is a little confusing but I am sure it is much clearer once you have figured out all the cables, in and out, to and from, and can see it all work. You would think that Zaxcom, far better equipped than you or I, would post a diagram of some sort on the website that graphically explains this setup. While they are at it, why not let us in on the model number for the amp, the antenna, etc. Other companies have often seen fit to package all this stuff, even give it a company branded model number, and sell it all as a system. This certainly makes for a much better chance that everything is going to work well together.

Jeff,

just another note on my 2.4gHz

config. I am using a 1 watt amp at the antenna also

the backfire dish is 40 dB down in the rear with 60 degree front

radiation.

Ron Scelza CAS

I've made a few changes to my 2.4 gig/ERX rig and it has greatly improved range and seems to have eliminated any interference with wi-fi.  My old rig might have had a bad cable or connection which was causing problems, but now my ifb range is usually better than my UHF range.  If I can figure out how to post a photo here I'll do it, but in words...

My IFB antenna output is connected to a DC injector buried deep in my cart (the DC injector sends 12 through the antenna cable to the amp).  The 12v from my power buss is also connected to the injector.  The rf output of the injector goes to a bnc female on the side of my cart.  Three BNC rf cables go to my antenna tree attached to the cart.  The tree has 2 Zaxcom paddles on the edges and a weird 2.4 gig directional in the middle WITH a linear amp attached to the antenna (Zaxcom recommended the antenna, I do not know what it's called.  The amp boosts the 2.4 gig to almost 1 watt.  It does not have any adverse effect with the UHF receiving antennas.  Cable loss with 2.4 gig is severe.  That's why I mount the amp right at the antenna.  Whatever loss there is getting to the antenna is nullified by the amp.  If you want a photo send me your email.

All that said, I was amazed at how well the IFB did with just a stubby 2.4 gig antenna mounted directly on the ifb xtr.  It easily covered the entire stage. 

Best,

Billy Sarokin

When I'm off set I'll post the model number of the amp kit.  By 'kit' I don't mean it has to be assembled.  It's a kit of the amp, DC injector and power supply.  The DC injector greatly simplifies installation because it works with the amp to allow the 12v power to be sent through the antenna cable so the amp can be remote mounted without needing to run a separate power cable.  I got everything from L-Com.Com  The amp is model HA2401G-1000.  One caveat.  It originally came with a DC injector and a 9v wall wart.  I powered it off my 12v buss and immediately blew it out.  So make sure you order it with a 12v DC Injector if so desired!  All the connectors on the C Injector and Amp are 'N' Connectors so make sure you order the appropriate cables. 

Billy

Thanks, Billy, for posting the source website (L-Com.Com) it looks like everything is there to put together the "kit". The model numbers are a little confusing on the DC injector part. When you get the chance, try and get the model no. off the exact one you have.

I have put some images here for those who may not have seen these items.

post-1-130815086313_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815086317_thumb.jpg