What Timecode should I use if RED Camera is recording at 24fps?

ProSound

Why on earth are they using TRUE 24?  Films (actually shot on film) are commonly doing HD transfers and using a 23.98 work flow.  It seems crazy to me that a RED show would choose 24 as a work flow.

I agree 100 percent no one could give me a straight answer I asked twice to make sure that it was true 24 and it is. It is for TV too and cable at that.

Guest BobD

That's why Mike's advice is so dead on....  Because there is a hundred ways things are being done now... Cameras, work flows, on and on.... there is STILL no real protocol... 

WRITE post the question on what they want, then keep the email on file...  Who knows what they're up to... 

My constant teaching on set has become laborious....  I went into a " I'll do whatever your post wants me to", unless it is plain stupid... M.O.

So far so good....  I always run it by them.... always...

I agree 100 percent no one could give me a straight answer I asked twice to make sure that it was true 24 and it is. It is for TV too and cable at that.

Is this something new, because discussions I've had w/ DITs re the RED have had the DIT telling me that true 24 was not avail on the RED?  More than one guy...

Philip Perkins

True 24fps is available on RED.... However it would be a blunder to do so...... Unless SOMEBODY HOLDS A REALLY BIG GUN TO YOUR HEAD it shall be in EVERYONES best interest to record at 23.976...... No Foolin'..... Teeth gnashing and tears will result...... if the gun comes out then either record at full integer 24 or 30 ndf

Dave Lezynski

Video Engineer

Oakland CA

lezynski@mac.com

However it would be a blunder to do so

I agree 100 percent every RED Project I have ever done but this was at 23.98 with my timecode at either 29.97 or 23.976 whatever post requested. This project was a series of blunders so it doesn't surprise me

If they demand 24.00 TC, I would get it in writing so there's no blame game later on.

The last few Red projects I've done, I stick a "23.98" P-touch label on the left side of the front of the slate, where it says "FPS." Every crew I've worked with has automatically gone with 23.98 -- so far.

BTW, note that the current big-budget Adam Sandler comedy, Grown Ups, was shot at 24.00fps and 24-frame timecode! In all my post experience, this is the only major project to do this so far (that I've seen). It works fine as long as the camera crew, sound crew, post crew, and editorial crew are all on the same page.

(Note that Grownups was shot on Panavision Genesis, but the principle is the same.)

--Marc W.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've done all my last feature films with RED cameras running in real 24fps and TC was 24fps in both camera and sound recorder.

No problem at all.

All those movies were edited in FCP with a real 24fps Time Line.

Sound post was done at the very same 24fps.

Both FCPs and ProTools had 2 computer displays, no NTSC/PAL TV sets, so they could play perfectly well QTs @24fps.

Once image was locked a transfer at 25fps (yes, PAL) were asked. Then digitized. That QuickTime was conformed to 24 fps (speed change) with Cinema Tools. So a one to one relationship between negative frames and QuickTime frames was obtained.

The very same amount of frames in the neg were found in the QuickTime movie.

No problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...

>>>snip

BTW, note that the current big-budget Adam Sandler comedy, Grown Ups, was shot at 24.00fps and 24-frame timecode! In all my post experience, this is the only major project to do this so far (that I've seen). It works fine as long as the camera crew, sound crew, post crew, and editorial crew are all on the same page.

>>>snip

I've done several things with 24 frame time code.  In fact it's getting requested frequently.  Not that unusual for film.  But for video, that's a bit of a different story.

Has anyone just ran audio right into the RED camera?  If so, how did it turn out?  I'd think for small productions that would work fine.

I do that all the time for a particular client by their choice as they don't want to be bothered syncing up audio. For their internal corporate use it sounds fine using the camera audio. BTW, I feed the RED via hardwire. If they're happy, I'm happy.

Eric

I do that all the time for a particular client by their choice as they don't want to be bothered syncing up audio. For their internal corporate use it sounds fine using the camera audio. BTW, I feed the RED via hardwire. If they're happy, I'm happy.

Eric

Thanks Eric.  I just didn't know how the quality is going in with a hard line.  For simple projects, I will try that.

I recently finished a RED true 24 production for a film out. 24 frame timecode was requested and that is what I delivered.I received written (e-mail) confirmation from the appropriate authorities (audio and picture post supervisors). I fed the camera guide track which  was specified for editorial use only. All went well and the cheque didn't bounce.

Chris Newton

Thanks Eric.  I just didn't know how the quality is going in with a hard line.  For simple projects, I will try that.

Hardwire is always going to sound better and be more reliable than wireless and without any potential rf problems. As long as you adjust the input sensitivity on the camera to match the output from your mixer you should be fine.

Eric

Searching through the discussion is a great tool for finding not just the answer to the question you have but also for other potential issues. But I wonder if it would be possible on this board to have some sort of section of "white papers" (is that the right term?). A collection of reference guides. If  that were possible, it would be a nice addition to the conversational education found in the message boards.

It would also give Senator another auto-type answer "Check the reference section, peon."

Josh

Searching through the discussion is a great tool for finding not just the answer to the question you have but also for other potential issues. But I wonder if it would be possible on this board to have some sort of section of "white papers" (is that the right term?). A collection of reference guides. If  that were possible, it would be a nice addition to the conversational education found in the message boards.

There is a section already, "Technical Reference" with the idea that it could be the repository of exactly what you are proposing (and "white papers" is a good term, though in the Internet age these sorts of compilations are often referred to as Wikis). The section here has been under-utilized to say the least but it isn't really anybody's fault, it is just that a forum-type site like this does not lend itself so much to this sort of library collection. Also, it would be a lot of work for someone to go through posts here, thousands of them since 2006, and extract, categorize, edit and publish this info into a special section. If individual members, on a post by post basis, could put things in this Technical Reference, Wiki area, then it would build itself.

It is an excellent idea and I will look into what could be done. The other sites that I have, CinemaSound (and the new form the site might take in the next month) would allow for this sort of thing, but nobody seems to want to move anywhere off this site.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Oops. I tend to keep the main sections closed so I can easily get to the latest posts section. So I missed that.

I would love to read "full length" reviews by members about working with certain cameras or equipment. But you're absolutely right that it would be a lot of work. And who wants to think about writing all of that after the job is done anyways?

Josh

Oops. I tend to keep the main sections closed so I can easily get to the latest posts section. So I missed that.

I would love to read "full length" reviews by members about working with certain cameras or equipment. But you're absolutely right that it would be a lot of work. And who wants to think about writing all of that after the job is done anyways?

Josh

You have to be careful w/ a section like Tech Ref etc though.  The RED camera, among many, is a moving target and aspects of it are updated all the time, so the MO for us soundies changes too.  Jeff can't be expected to update that section to the latest spec every

time there is a change, so it is important to look at the DATE of any post there, and then search and see if there have been threads posted on the subject that are more recent.  This state of constant change in video technology is one of the reasons why JWSound has become a minor "hobby" for a lot of us--it takes a lot of attention to keep up these days.

Philip Perkins

Unless post requests something different (in writing, by email), when a camera is shooting an actual 24 fps, your timecode should normally be 30nd. Your sampling freq should normally be 48.048 (though be careful with this because some recorders automatically adjust timecode when 48.048 is selected). These settings are to accommodate the pulled down target specs of 29.97 (or 23.976) and 48k. However, if possible, a conversation with post is always best, getting them to sign off on the specs (in writing).

Glen Trew