What Timecode should I use if RED Camera is recording at 24fps?

ProSound

You have to be careful w/ a section like Tech Ref etc though.  The RED camera, among many, is a moving target and aspects of it are updated all the time, so the MO for us soundies changes too.  Jeff can't be expected to update that section to the latest spec every

time there is a change, so it is important to look at the DATE of any post there, and then search and see if there have been threads posted on the subject that are more recent.  This state of constant change in video technology is one of the reasons why JWSound has become a minor "hobby" for a lot of us--it takes a lot of attention to keep up these days.

Philip Perkins

I didn't mean that we should expect Jeff to spend his down time writing service manuals for us.

I like the forum arrangement, but as the database increases it gets harder and harder to do what the Senator requests. It may not be possible on a site like this, but it would be nice if there was some sort of Wiki styled document that we as a group could modify and limit the blind searches through past conversations. I still think searching through the conversations can be beneficial because you learn other things along the way, but the quantities of posts will surely increase at a faster rate than already are.

Josh

Unless post requests something different (in writing, by email), when a camera is shooting an actual 24 fps, your timecode should normally be 30nd. Your sampling freq should normally be 48.048 (though be careful with this because some recorders automatically adjust timecode when 48.048 is selected). These settings are to accommodate the pulled down target specs of 29.97 (or 23.976) and 48k. However, if possible, a conversation with post is always best, getting them to sign off on the specs (in writing).

Glen Trew

I agree that this method makes sense, but on the shoots I've done in my area (SF) in the last several years we have never used 48.048 at all--I'd be very afraid to do so unless instructed to by post (ie it has to be their idea, not mine).  For real 24 fps I've been asked to do 30 NDF TC and 24 TC at different times, but they wanted 48k audio (go figure).  You can only ask so many times.....

Philip Perkins

Unless post requests something different (in writing, by email), when a camera is shooting an actual 24 fps, your timecode should normally be 30nd. Your sampling freq should normally be 48.048 (though be careful with this because some recorders automatically adjust timecode when 48.048 is selected). These settings are to accommodate the pulled down target specs of 29.97 (or 23.976) and 48k. However, if possible, a conversation with post is always best, getting them to sign off on the specs (in writing).

Glen Trew

Ok, so how does a Deneke or Ambiant Lockit box come into play here? or does it?

Kevin Sorensen

" how does a Deneke or Ambiant Lockit box come into play here? or does it? "

it depends...

they both are jamable sources for accurate SMPTE TC

they come into play if you need an accurate source of a SMPTE Time Code value.

this has been discussed here before, do a search...

" how does a Deneke or Ambiant Lockit box come into play here? or does it? "

it depends...

they both are jamable sources for accurate SMPTE TC

they come into play if you need an accurate source of a SMPTE Time Code value.

this has been discussed here before, do a search...

It may have been discussed, but when one is seeking clarity on this issue or others, a search seems to just turn up more confusion.

Puttin all the bits and fragments of different views and expreiances of the posts together, one can only come up with a frankenstienian

understanding, but its all beautiful sorta, but not......

Kevin Sorensen