The latest idiotic ad on craigslist!

ILavLA

Need Sound Mixer and Boom, PAY. 5/22 (Chatsworth)

Date: 2010-05-14,  4:04PM PDT

Reply to: gigs-mpgfg-1741376625@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Looking for a 2 person sound team, mixer and boom. It's a one day shoot in an amazing house in chatsworth for a cooking show pilot. You must own your top notch equipment, be respectful to the location and obviously have chops in your work. The pay is $300 flat, both for you and your boom op (i'll leave it to you to figure out the money distribution). Probably a 10 hour shoot, daytime only. I can't stress enough how important the sound is on this production, this is a legit pilot with network interest that could very well get picked up! I need the cleanest, sharpest sound to cut with. Serious people only!

We shoot next Saturday 5/22.

Please send in some examples (must have), your equipment (i'm familiar with sound eq) to my email: jonsydneyc@gmail.com

Cheers,

Jon

Every cooking show I have done is Lav only and the pay is bad. I use to do a cooking show for the food network until one day they informed me that I would have to use rental gear, boom and mix for $375.00 for 13 ( 1 hour off the clock lunch) I declined of course occasionally they will call me to fill in and every time The same producer pretends we have never spoken and offers me the same deal and I give the same answer no and I provide my normal rate. They then always tell me they will get back with me. Within the hour they call back and tell me they found someone at 375.00 but they will pay me 385.00 it is like ground hog day every time.

Booming a cooking show would be a nightmare.  Never mind the low pay!

Bernie

You're absolutely right. It's a total mess! I just finisihed a commercial and one location was in a big kitchen with lots of cacerols on fire with boiling water in it(director wanted the effect of the steam) and actors having the dialogue around it. I couldn't get any good sound under these conditions(boiling water, fire, etc) so I talked to the director and he understood the situation and my concerns (I guess he saw my frustration). So we ended up boiling the water right before every shot in a kettle and we got a clean sound. So, beside the low pay will you be able to get a clean sound under the pressure of finishing the episode?

Staying OT here,

moviemaking is a lot of problem solving:

dry ice in water makes great looking steam!

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip

Dry Ice in water makes the same noise as boiling water in a pot, with it's own noise characteristic that a boiling pot of water never makes. Such as squeeks and clanks in the pot from the dry ice melting. Especially if it's in a pot that would normally boil water. They both bubble, so why go through the trouble?

Keep it simple. If the pot's not in the shot, take it from the set or turn it off, and get the dialog clean. Wild track the pot and let post smooth it all out. If the pot is in the shot just roll with it in the shot, working.

Guest Ken Mantlo

moviemaking is a lot of problem solving:

dry ice in water makes great looking steam!

Dry ice looks like dry ice.  Steam rises and dry ice sinks and puddles.

Dry Ice in water makes the same noise as boiling water in a pot, with it's own noise characteristic that a boiling pot of water never makes.

Keep it simple. If the pot's not in the shot, take it from the set or turn it off, and get the dialog clean...

Thanks Michael, so dry ice it's not a good solution. That's what I also did. Every pot that was not in the CU or Medium shot I turned it off. The ones that they were the art dep would add only boiled water with the fire off.