Sennheiser MKH50 Rumble

Rob Lewis

I have a Sennheiser MKH50 that seems to conduct a large amount of handling noise.  When on a pole I always have the low frequency roll off engaged, but I still have to use quite a bit of mixer roll off as well. I use the shockmout that comes with it and he mic still sounds good, but I'm just wondering if there are any other experiences like this.

Rob,

I use and happen to love the 50's and yea that is a common problem as well as rumble from wind noise, not really buffeting just vibration of the zepp.

I've heard my boom ops shoulder creak as tranferred up the pole and through the mic. Takes a steady hand and a light touch.

Lately I've been using out of convenience , the rycote softie mount with success. Also if using the supplied shockmount make sure you attach the cable to the mount as well.

As far as wind whew... good luck in high winds I've tried everything.

LL

Hi Rob,

I have had problems with one of my earlier MKH50's, but that one had been to the floor once and had something come loose inside, on the actual component board, I had a clear thump everytime I flipped it over. Really hard to hear without connecting the mic to a mixer, but loud in the HP.

Make shure you have a really thin and soft cable up to the mic, and a good wind protection, even indoors there are a lot of air moving, and you moving the boom...

Oscar Lovnér

Sound Image

I have used the softie mount nd I find it is the worst of all the mounts as far as handling noise.  As far as wind noise, the only problem I run into is cueing the mic quickly.  I rarely if ever use the mic outdoors.  The Pole i use it on is a KTEK 152cc.  I wonder if it is just cable conductance.

I have some fabric "hobo" gloves that I use sometimes in high gain situations.  But a lot of rumble means you should probably check your shockmount and perhaps make some way of "shorting " the rumble coming up the cable by either tieing a loose knot in it or taping it off to the boom just before it goes into the mic.

Philip Perkins

I boomed a couple of shows in my day and in that whole time I only used gloves for warmth. I boomed entire scenes with a Schoepps on the end of a VDB with a 4' extension and you can feel when you are rumling. Overly moist hands will bump on fast pulls so some up pressure from the rear hand allows the pole to move in the forward hand quietly. Ham handed booming may benefit from gloves but there is no physics that support gloves reducing rumble telegraphed thru the pole.

Long Poles Rule

Nick Allen

The K-Tek mounts are very good in supressing handling noise. For fast swings across a shot I've found that the "Fat Cat" from Remote Audio does a great job in cutting down any "swoosh" sounds.

One of these days I'm going to build a prototype of my boom op's head gear. A hat with a built in oar lock type of mount on top to support the pole so you can swing it with one hand. Might even make it so it could clamp on to the top of the headphone band.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...