Help - My 7506's CREAK

greg sextro

Can you explain why?  I haven't A/B'd them with a new pair, but they still sound fine to my ears.

I've found the drivers start to make little noises and such that become quite annoying when you're mixing.  I guess the wear on the cans themsleves just cause it to have little vibrations and such.  I'm on my 4th pair now.  One of them was replaced because the cable sheathing disintegrated.  I guess every year is a little too often, but I haven't gone past 2 years.  I've never had the issue of them squeaking though.

I've had the squeak but it hasn't bothered me. Once they're on your head they dont move/squeak. Its only when folding them up or maybe when adjusting.

I've never worried about lubricating them.

I too, seem to replace my 7506's every two years for one reason or another. The last pair was because the cable insulation/sheath split open and the wires inside were fully exposed but they were working fine.

The pair before that was because the cable broke/came out of where it goes into the driver. This is a weak point on these headphones IMO. Having said that, they go through quite alot before these minor problems occur.

I had both pairs fixed and now use them for directors/producer headphones (or spare for myself)

Guest Ken Mantlo

I've had so many over the years I'm surprised I'm not crushed to death by an avalanche of them when I open my closet, ala Fibber McGee & Molly.

(About 1/10th of you will get the reference)

Don't know about the creaking headphones. It is common with Ultrasone phones, but I don't think I've heard this problem with the Sony 7506.

Except for the drivers (that rarely need replacing), here is a complete list of replacement parts for the Sony MDR-7506, plus some cable upgrade kits: http://www.trewaudio.com/store/home.php?cat=110

Tip: Removing the pads exposes the drivers, and when exposed, the magnets can attract tiny particles (hold a paper clip near the front to see how strong these magnets are). These particles are often what cause the occasional buzzing noise, particularly with low frequencies. So be careful when replacing the foam pads.

Glen Trew

Tip: Removing the pads exposes the drivers, and when exposed, the magnets can attract tiny particles (hold a paper clip near the front to see how strong these magnets are). These particles are often what cause the occasional buzzing noise, particularly with low frequencies. So be careful when replacing the foam pads.

Glen Trew

Wow, would have never though about that happening.  Good to know.  I'll try to be careful about where I take them off if I ever have to.

Once they're on your head they dont move/squeak.

actually, this is precisely the problem!  when I turn my head with them on, they creak.

I haven't had a chance to run to the hardware store yet, but will let you guys know the results.  I've got some WW40 in the kit, but like I said, think I will try graphite first.

-Greg-

Dont feel alone with this, as every pair I ever own seems to end up doing exactly this. Maybe we have too big of heads or something but its not the wiring, its a physical plastic on plastic type sound.

actually, this is precisely the problem!  when I turn my head with them on, they creak.

I haven't had a chance to run to the hardware store yet, but will let you guys know the results.  I've got some WW40 in the kit, but like I said, think I will try graphite first.

-Greg-