Safe disposal of IDX NP-L7S ??

Johnny Karlsson

Is there any easy / convenient way to safely dispose of old used Lithium battery packs? I have a couple of IDX NP-L7S that are over a decade old and they started acting a bit weird, and not holding the full charge when sitting unused for a while. I just now took one off the charger after it seemed like it was taking too long. And it was HOT to the touch, so needless to say - I do not want to use this anymore. Googling only returns the safety papers from IDX and not much else other than where you can buy them (but looks like they are discontinued now since the NP-9X has taken over).

EDIT: I got a little more creative with the searches, and found this for anyone interested: https://www.call2recycle.org/locator/

22 hours ago, Izen Ears said:

. Two nine year old NPs just decided to completely die. Left on the chargers for hours and still zero lights. What a bummer.

The two I’m talking about are from 2011, so while it is a bummer, I think we got our money’s worth out of them hah!

1 hour ago, ProSound said:

I have sent to IDX for recycling in the past just make sure you send them ground 

The Americas
IDX System Technology, Inc.
2377 Crenshaw Blvd.
Suite# 160
Torrance, CA 90501
Attention: Recycling

I’ll look into this. Thank you! (Looks like the suite # is listed online as 154).

Wow… being Swedish, reading this, I’m kind of shocked that there’s no recycling of lithium batteries in the states (?) 

Not to brag, just interesting how different countries handle the same issues. Over here we’d go to a state run recycling facility and there are people there telling you where to put what and then they take care of it. 

So if you feel like flying, bring your dead batteries and recycle them in Sweden . I’ll buy the beer

(Sorry for derailing the thread btw)

5 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Wow… being Swedish, reading this, I’m kind of shocked that there’s no recycling of lithium batteries in the states (?) 

There's plenty of battery recycling in the US (check Johnny's updated post at the top). I can take most batteries to our local city recycling center. And as Johnny Points out, call2recycle.org makes it easy to find drop-off spots with a postal-code search. Near me, it points to lots of hardware stores, some pharmacies and sports stores, etc. And they do take lithium-ion batteries up to 300Wh:

Call2Recycle.png

54 minutes ago, Jim Feeley said:

No worries. I'm sure there's plenty else to criticize about the US. Like how hard it is to find surströmming here. 😉

Haha! I’d never criticize the lack of surströmming in any country… I’d rather eat an old lithium battery I think. At least they smell better!
Thrilled to see you make an ö!  

Hahahaaaa - you guys... yeah, I'm Swedish too, but nej tack to surströmming. Some aficionados swear it tastes really good, even though it smells like barf from a mile away.

Ok, back to the batteries. I will actually be dropping them off directly at the IDX warehouse in the city of Carson, since I have a job in that direction Friday, and they told me on the phone that they do accept recycling there (different address than their office).

It is a law in NY state  requires 

"Retailers that sell rechargeable batteries OR rechargeable battery containing products must accept used rechargeable batteries from NYS consumers."

The NYS Rechargeable Battery Law 

" and it makes it illegal for any person to throw rechargeable batteries in the trash."

In USA Best Buy and The Home Depot were doing this as of 1-2 years ago. Haven't checked lately. Just be aware improper disposal can make trash trucks caught on fire from lithium-ion batteries.

How often? 3 times in a month according to this article from last month

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/12/recycling-firm-fined-after-tossed-batteries-cause-garbage-truck-fires/

1 hour ago, PCMsoundie said:

It is a law in NY state  requires...

Thanks for the link. It's unclear to me if/how this law applies to the batteries we use for work. Also, if it does then perhaps Gotham, B&H, and such are required to take/recycle our batteries, but general electronics and hardware stores might not be. I could easily be misreading this, but here are a couple bits from PCM's link that I think apply (bold text emphasized by me):

2. "consumer" means any person who purchases one or more rechargeable
batteries, or products containing such batteries at the time of sale,
for personal use;

[snip]

. Rechargeable batteries shall be returned to a retailer that sells
such batteries that are similar in shape, size and function to those to
be disposed of. Rechargeable batteries contained in electronic products
must be removed prior to disposal of such product.

Maybe I've just been lucky. Has anyone else besides Izen (if I'm reading him correctly) been stopped when trying to recycle NP1, V-Mount, and similar professional batteries?