Zaxcom Microphone Compatibility - Complete List

Soundee

The purpose of this topic has been changed slightly to:

-If anyone knows of a microphone that, when used with Zaxcom transmitters, has RF interference issues, list them here.

------------------------

The original post below:

------------------------

Zaxnet can cause RF interference with some mics (as posted in their documentation).

A while back, I asked Zaxcom about this they pointed me to a pdf with short list of Compatible Lavs and Compatible Stick Mics (detailed below).

What I was really wanting to know at the time is if the Schoeps CMIT5U had any issues.

I asked Zaxcom and they said they didn't know for sure so I contacted Schoeps directly and they said they didn't know for sure either.

I have checked the .pdf document occasionally and have not seen any "additional microphones" added to it, but I recently saw Jeff post (Sanken CS-2 topic) that he uses the CMIT and the CS-3e. Is this with zaxnet?

Even though I was really only interested in a select few microphones, I thought collectively we could post ALL the mics that are compatible with zaxnet in one place.

INFO from the current TRX_Series_Digital_Wireless_User_Manual

---------------------------------------

Compatible Lavs

Use one of the following microphone models:

Brand - Model // Voltage Notes

Countryman - B6 // 1.5

Countryman - E6 omni 

Countryman - EMW // 1.5 Specify for use with Zaxcom

DPA - 4063-BMZ // 3 Use only the Zaxcom 3.3 V model

Sanken - COS-11D 

Sennheiser - MKE-2 Platinum // 3

Sennheiser - MKE-2 Gold //  New model – YES. Older models – NO

Shure - WL50 // 5

Sony - ECM77 

Tram - TR-50 

Voice Tech. - VT401HS 

Voice Tech. - VT506 

Voice Tech. - VT910 

Additional microphones will be added to this list after a review of their 3.3v power performance and RF interference susceptibility has been completed.

Compatible Stick Mics

Use one of the following microphone models:

Brand - Model // Voltage Notes

Schoeps - CMC6MK41 

Sennheiser - MKH 40 // Older models may pickup some RFI

Sennheiser - MKH 50 

Sennheiser - MKH 60 

Sennheiser - MKH 816 

Additional microphones will be added to this list after a review of their RF interference susceptibility has been completed.

Zaxnet can cause RF interference with some mics (as posted in their documentation).

When you say "Zaxnet" can cause interference, are you actually referring to the interference that can occur when using some microphones with Zaxcom transmitters? It is true that when first introduced, the Zaxcom digital transmitters did have an interaction with some microphones, both lavalier type microphones and regular ("stick"?) microphones, causing nasty noises and making the mics basically unusable. What the digital wireless revealed was susceptibility to AM RF interference inherent in the design of several popular microphones. The microphone manufacturers, partially under pressure from the growing number of Zaxcom users, set about redesigning these microphones. Everyone benefited from this redesign, not just Zaxcom users, since the new mics were now much less prone to RF interference. The older Schoeps microphones were redesigned and now are almost completely immune to RF interference. The newer Schoeps mic, like the CMIT-5 shotgun, were already RF proof and worked fine with the Zaxcom transmitters. Sanken redesigned the popular COS-11 lav, naming it the COS-11D, which works fine with Zaxcom transmitters.

When you say "Zaxnet" can cause interference, are you actually referring to the interference that can occur when using some microphones with Zaxcom transmitters? ...

Yes, thanks for the clarification Jeff. That is great information, just what I was looking for.

I knew a little about this, but I did not know how far the effort to update the different mics went.

Does this mean that ALL mics are now compatible with Zaxcom transmitters?

If not, maybe we should we then change the topic to -

"Complete list of microphones that still don't work with Zaxcom transmitters"?

Thanks everyone.

Does this mean that ALL mics are now compatible with Zaxcom transmitters?

If not, maybe we should we then change the topic to -

"Complete list of microphones that still don't work with Zaxcom transmitters"?

Thanks everyone.

I don't think we can say that ALL mics will work perfectly with Zaxcom transmitters. I think it is safe to say that most all of the most common microphones in use will work fine. You are right about a list of the mics that do NOT work well with Zaxcom transmitters, it is just that it would be a difficult list to compile now that most of the popular microphones that had problems have been corrected.

I think the topic heading will still work, but I will restate the purpose of this topic then...

If anyone knows of a microphone that, when used with Zaxcom transmitters, has RF interference issues, list them here.

Also, for used equipment buyers, it may be helpful if any manufacturers could give serial numbers that are cut off points between the modified and unmodified versions of there mics with regards to this RF interference (when they didn't change the model name).

Modified Schoeps are easy to tell.  The inside of the XLR connector has a gold base.  The unmodified mics have a dark plastic base.

btw, I sold my Neumann KMR82.  It was too susceptible to rfi from the Zaxcoms, video transmitters and even neon lights.  Mine was an older model, so I'd check newer ones.  Often manufacturers have been improving the rfi rejection of their mics without publicizing that fact.

Billy Sarokin

I think the topic heading will still work, but I will restate the purpose of this topic then...

If anyone knows of a microphone that, when used with Zaxcom transmitters, has RF interference issues, list them here.

Also, for used equipment buyers, it may be helpful if any manufacturers could give serial numbers that are cut off points between the modified and unmodified versions of there mics with regards to this RF interference (when they didn't change the model name).

hello

i have been using my neumann 82i succesfully with the zaxcom both as a wireless boom using zaxcom transmitter and when i have been using my zaxcom camera hop, it originally had Rf problems but the neutrik EMF ? xlr cured it all, the neutrix emf does need to be wired as per the manufacturers instructions to work.

hope this is of some help

richard

I'll second what Richard says/ been using my KMR81i very happily with my trx700 with an EMC XLR in the back of the microphone.

also been using my sanken cs3e with the rf mod with the trx700 with no issues.

i did try a borrowed DPA 4017mk1 with the trx700 and there was a little bit of rf picked up - not as bad as my cs3e was before the mod but not great.

the mk2 version claims to gave better rf immunity, but as i am not looking to buy one, i havent checked it out.

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...

With the TRX 742 with CCM41,  my experience, 

With the minix mount,  no interference, even if mounted right next to the head....

With the original schoeps cable... no interference, 

With the piannissimo,  lots of interference.   Rich's recommendation of taping the antenna to the pole + snipping the ground to shell  works perfect

I just don't understand how the minix can be so different to the pianissimo,  it's really strange.