Points for "WHO NEEDS SLEEP?"

Doug Brandon

Thank you Jeff for posting the invitation to the camera local's screening of "WHE NEEDS SLEEP?".

The documentary was informative and entertaining. I spotted some cameo's: Jeff, Moe, thought I might have seen a Don.

It was most interesting to listen to the discussion afterword (I spared them my babbling search for eloquence). There were high ranking reps from the camera union participating in the discussion. Haskell Wexler and a producer friend were moderating the Q & A session.

It seems know one has any solution to achieving shorter work days for the film industry here in the states. Is it really so, that in some parts of the world they ONLY work eight or ten hour days? That's what the documentary seemed to be telling us. "The French work to live, the American's live to work..." was one of the quotes from the film.

People will continue to die from sleep deprivation. That was said years ago, and it happened again. And statistically it will continue. One conclusion offered was, as usual it's the bottom line. In some twisted fashion, money drives the schedules, and we will continue this way until literally everyone says no more. The IATSE chief insists this has to take place at the bargaining table of local levels. OSHA says it has to happen on the set. On the set, production says were going to make our days, we'll shoot 'til the day's done. Studio says, you can't have more days, our hands are tied. We're owned by a larger company. The larger 'mother company' says, we make weapons (not movies).

The question was asked of Haskell, "so who is making these long day schedules guaranteed to spoil a work day?" And then we were all treated to wit and wisdom as he threw his hands in the air and said something like, "hell, I don't know, some half wit fresh out of school moron sitting on the other side of life punching numbers into a computer, you know, like, okay, we'll need a couple grips, I suppose some electricians, uh...camera, snacks...uh I don't know, I guess forty five days..." and then he turned and looked away, as if that kid somewhere was thinking about what he might have on his sandwich for lunch, and who cares about that ol' film production anyway.

Another unfortunate response of people being interviewed says, if you don't like the days, "go sell shoes."

Haskell suggested the quickest change would come when the insurance companies step up and force companies to shoot shorter days, not wanting to afford the lawsuits. Not enough deaths, then it's not worth worrying about. This was truly saddening. My friend and I talked about it on the way home.

People die from auto accidents all the time. They still sell cars. They die from ciggerattes, still sell them too (and those of us that don't smoke or drink, often pay taxes that help support medical bills for those dying that do). Airplanes, alcohol, schools without large walls around them and armed gaurds to keep crazies from coming in and shooting kids... the list goes on and on. Cost prohibitive to investment return.

"WHO NEEDS SLEEP?" Great work Mr. Wexler(s)!

(no one asked me to plug this) DVD @ http://www.whoneedssleep.net

Regrettably I didn't have time to see the documentary and I will see the DVD in time. I've been the recipient of long tiring days for many years and I'm almost sad to say I'm used to it. I can't imagine having to work an eight hour day and being home with my family and enjoying a "life" I've become firmly entrenched into the twelve hour workday, five days a week and if I'm lucky enough to be on a renewable TV show then I get two and a half months off in spring/summer. I'm lucky at the moment that I am on a show that mandates a twelve hour day and will and has "pulled the plug" on directors that exceed that mandate. I realize that this is a rarity which is why I appreciate not only the chance to work at all, but to have a reasonable amount of down time to re-charge and travel to and from work in relative safety and comfort.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating, supporting or encouraging the twelve hour plus work day, but as one who was out of work for a considerable amount of time back in the late nineties, I appreciate my good fortune every day and try not to bitch about stuff that I know for a fact many other less fortunate people would exchange a limb for. We work long hours, no question. On night shoots especially this becomes a severe hazard, but one which most productions in my experience will sometimes compensate for by making either free or cut rate hotels/motels available if crew members choose to take advantage of this facility. I know that it's sometimes inconvenient and that the call of "home" is strong on a cold night just as the sun is rising after a sixteen hour work day/night, but the point is that we have choices. We chose this business hopefully knowing that this would happen sometimes depending on the show and how much the local has given away in concessions... I'm hoping that a reasonable compromise promoted by production's fear of litigation and the more humane attitudes regarding the safety and well being of fellow human beings will prevail, but when I exit from my temporary idealism, I admit that the cost efficiency ratio, the bottom line will always dominate motivation especially since the union has demonstrated a complete lack of real concern, not just rhetoric, for its members. After all, this is America and God Bless her.

Regards

Mick