Where can I find this gear?

TD

Ok, two things...

FIRST:

I'm not a seasoned production mixer, but I was on a set the other day and we were mic'ing up several scantily clad women with these "necklace lavs". They were provided by the rental house . The mic element was apparently hidden in a somewhat octagonal and metallic looking piece of jewelry worn around the neck. While I could not SEE the mic element, it was hard to tell if this was a homemade creation where someone glued the element to a necklace. The cable leading to the necklace was definitely COUNTRYMAN. A Google search for "any combination of "necklace-lav-countryman-mic-etc" yielded no results, just links to forums where other people asked similar questions. I contacted Trew, but no one had seen/heard of this. Why I didn't ask the gear wrangler from the rental house is beyond me.

SECOND:

I've recently started doing field fx recording again. Years ago I had built a ridiculous contraption/hat so with Schoeps capsules tucked into the brim with a cable running down my neck/back and going into a bookbag with a portadat in it. I heard recently that someone has devised a cool little setup with mic caps mounted on ear buds with split cable that will allow you to plug this device into a portable flash recorder's mic input for recording as well as a cable to plug into the headphone jack for monitoring. Does anyone use a system like this? Does someone manufacture one? Has anyone had success building their own?

Sorry for these newbie questions. I'd like to hear from the pros!

-T

jewelry lav's (and variations) can be made, and there are a few specialty folks who custom make them for sale, as reported on this group...do a search!

stealth recording is another subject, rarely discussed hear, but usually discussed on a couple of other forums. I don't think many professional (as in: we making our living doing this) production sound mixers engage in much stealth recording, but try searching this forum for mentions of the appropriate forums for those topics.

Question#2 sounds like someone trying to bootleg concerts.

C'mon man. That's an unnecessary accusation to make. You do realize hidden mics are used for the purpose of FX recording as well, right? I don't know much about bootlegging concerts, but I'd be skeptical that dudes like that know what Schoeps mics are or would come to Jwsound to ask for assistance.

jewelry lav's (and variations) can be made, and there are a few specialty folks who custom make them for sale, as reported on this group...do a search!

stealth recording is another subject, rarely discussed hear, but usually discussed on a couple of other forums. I don't think many professional (as in: we making our living doing this) production sound mixers engage in much stealth recording, but try searching this forum for mentions of the appropriate forums for those topics.

Thanks man..

As I mentioned before, I'm not a production mixer. I have the same toys as you guys, but I only do it from time to time. I love FX gathering and was just wondering if any of you guys had heard of those mic/headsets. I'll do a search for those necklace lavs on this board.

Guest Ken Mantlo

C'mon man. That's an unnecessary accusation to make. You do realize hidden mics are used for the purpose of FX recording as well, right? I don't know much about bootlegging concerts, but I'd be skeptical that dudes like that know what Schoeps mics are or would come to Jwsound to ask for assistance.

Calm down, I'm not accusing you of bootlegging.  I've heard of these type of rigs being used to bootleg.  More specifically, a pair of COS-11's run up both sides of Raybans with the recorder in the pocket.

Sorry if you took it as an accusation, it was not my intent.

Guest BobD

Deadheads would beg to differ.  In the recording section, they knew....  Don't be so "skeptical"...  Why the need to hide them for effects as was said?...  The birds don't care, nor do speeding cars, or atmos at a carnival...

many of us do record Sound FX, but almost always openly, not "stealth" mode.

Do you record public ambiences?  Restaurants?  Parks?  Malls?  State Fairs?

Ever done that with a stand, a stereo bar, and 2 Baby Ball gags and Windjammers?  Not very fun to set up.  Not fun to edit out all the questions like, "what are you doing?  You're recording?  For what?  Hey Martha! he's recording sound for a film!!  Which film?...." etc.

Stealth is a great way to go in many circumstances, and a perfectly valid way to capture stereo FX..  I use a set of DPA 4061's, clipped to a hat, a coat, a shirt, etc.

Guest BobD

Do you record public ambiences?  Restaurants?  Parks?  Malls?  State Fairs?

Ever done that with a stand, a stereo bar, and 2 Baby Ball gags and Windjammers?  Not very fun to set up.  Not fun to edit out all the questions like, "what are you doing?  You're recording?  For what?  Hey Martha! he's recording sound for a film!!  Which film?...." etc.

Stealth is a great way to go in many circumstances, and a perfectly valid way to capture stereo FX..  I use a set of DPA 4061's, clipped to a hat, a coat, a shirt, etc.

I have never had a problem, I learned to not use eye contact,  move to a good spot, and I prefer to use my normal Wind protection, set up is as or not as complicated as any of the other crap we do...  but I could see it work if that is what someone chooses to do... just not my personal style...  That's what makes us all different!!!  whatever suits you..  Oh,  and, I don't do the edit....  I do all I can for the guys and gals, but it is what it is....

I have never had a problem, I learned to not use eye contact,  move to a good spot, and I prefer to use my normal Wind protection, set up is as or not as complicated as any of the other crap we do...  but I could see it work if that is what someone chooses to do... just not my personal style...  That's what makes us all different!!!  whatever suits you..  Oh,  and, I don't do the edit....  I do all I can for the guys and gals, but it is what it is....

I too prefer a larger, more wind protected rig.  But, whatever works!!  I have been doing FX collection and editing (and then mixing those sounds into films and shows) for many years and I keep growing my rig.  Options are a good thing.  Sometimes the stealth way is great way to go and can sound really good.

For instance, I am sound super and re-recording mixer on a film now that needed ambiances from an urban Super America (or any similar convenience store), a tiny stool and counter Vietnamese Restaurant, and a tiny stool and counter hot dog joint. No good places to set up stands, or, even stand there with an MS or other single stereo mic in a Zeppelin.  So, I sent one of my assistant editors out to collect these sounds and it was much much easier to rig him with a stealth setup.  It was faster, easier and sounded great.

You need to be careful of any legal issues that might arise from recording with hidden recording devices.

A stand sporting a furry blimp is one thing. People can see it, and as such, have no misconception of what you are doing.

However, with concealed microphones and recorder, it becomes an entirely different thing all together. And make no mistake, even if you are recording FX and ambience, there is a reasonable likelihood that you'll have some conversations taking place around you.

People have a reasonable expectation of privacy and if they see 'normal' recording gear, can choose how to behave around it. But with hidden gear, they do not have that option and could argue that you were 'surreptitiously' recording conversations that you had no right to.

Can of worms? Possibly. Something to consider? Definitely.

I made a "hat mic" rig in order to record the breathing of runners running at full speed.  It worked very well.  (It also worked very well for puppeteers working "Muppet" style puppets from below.)  I also made a "stealth" mic rig hidden in Walkman style headphones that I used to record things like choirs (who would permit recording when the venue would not) and lots of ambiances, esp in foreign countries where pointing a mic at someone in the street makes people think you are part of the government social-control apparatus.  Nowadays there are recorders like the Zoom H2 which kind of look like weird cel phones or MP3 players, and don't seem to attract a lot of notice.  The things that people notice first about normal pro recording are someone wearing headphones and looking at them, and then a big fuzzy mic pointed at them.  People do not like this combo pointed in their direction in public places pretty much the world over.

Philip Perkins

You need to be careful of any legal issues that might arise from recording with hidden recording devices.

A stand sporting a furry blimp is one thing. People can see it, and as such, have no misconception of what you are doing.

However, with concealed microphones and recorder, it becomes an entirely different thing all together. And make no mistake, even if you are recording FX and ambience, there is a reasonable likelihood that you'll have some conversations taking place around you.

People have a reasonable expectation of privacy and if they see 'normal' recording gear, can choose how to behave around it. But with hidden gear, they do not have that option and could argue that you were 'surreptitiously' recording conversations that you had no right to.

Can of worms? Possibly. Something to consider? Definitely.

Legality of material usage is not predicated upon a "stealthy" or "conspicuous" acquisition.  It is illegal to use copyrighted material (such as a broadcast, produced music, etc.) without permission regardless of how it was recorded.  Stock footage is shot and sold without getting releases from every car and pedestrian.  But there are some structures that require permission to use their likeness.  Doesn't matter if the camera is out in the open or hidden.  Crowd walla is fair use as long as it is legal to record where you are recording it.  AFAIK, it is illegal to record in airports (but I could be wrong).

Guest BobD

I think you'll find it's illegal to record a persons conversation without their knowledge....

Actually, here in the states, I BELIEVE it depends on where you are .....  each state has it's own laws regarding this....It also depends on whether or not the recording person is in his or her "territory or legal control of location...".  Phone laws are the same... lots of variances regarding what state... 

On another note, we here in the states try to cling to a moral adherence as to laws regarding the illegal recording of protected material, such as concerts and motion pictures. Oleg, over the pond it is an orgy of stealing and pilfering of this material which breaches any sane persons threshold of decency...  I am sorry you and your buddies are so excited and boastful about such a classless act...  Stealing is stealing...  not cool and a danger to all of us in any of the entertainment industries we are trying to remain employed in.  Only a classless lout would revel in such activities. I hope you are not one of them :) 

And, please don't place Fuck and USA next to each other like that...As an American I take great offense to doing so... I would never do that  especially on a public forum.. And I would not do it to your country which I am very fond of. Please try to exhibit some sense of class, I know it is a battle for you, but give it a try...

The Dead ALLOWED such recording of their concerts and even had a specially placed section dead in the middle of the arena for those who wished to record, but they were in the minority. Others are trying to work hard and sell their material without being ripped off... They are trying to make a living like anyone else...  I personally don't care for the concept of stealing someones work without permission to do so.

...  Stealing is stealing...  not cool and a danger to all of us in any of the entertainment industries we are trying to remain employed in.

... They are trying to make a living like anyone else...  I personally don't care for the concept of stealing someones work without permission to do so.

Some time ago sitting in a coffee shop I overheard a conversation at the next table about free (illegal) music sites. I joined in the conversation and I asked them a few questions. (I couldn't help myself, I'm a retired Police Officer)

Do you download music without paying? Yes.

If a friend downloaded music, would you want a copy? Yes.

If a friend bought a CD would you ask for a copy? Yes.

If a friend stole a CD would you ask for a copy? Maybe.

Would you steal a CD? No Way!

So what is the difference? Well, stealing a CD is theft.

Whilst they could see the theft involved in talking a physical object without payment, they couldn't see any wrong with downloading, (or copying a CD that someone had bought)

What is the youth of today coming to? Everyone wants something for nothing and believes they have a RIGHT to it.

This is a bit off topic of the original post of undercover recording:

The youth are not the only ones downloading and burning copies of music  and movies.

Actually the youth of today have more access to media (mp3,video,software) than ever before. Alot of underground music is shared by the artists and fans because it promotes the artists to others who might not know about it otherwise. Friends like to share things, and today , it is very easy to share a song or two. Just the other day my mom sent me a link to her newest favorite christian rock group songs.

It is understood by most people that if you try it and you like it, that  you buy it and support it.