Zaxcom QRX100 - Questions For Glenn

RPSharman

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arggggh!

So I updated to the latest firmware with the QRX and the TRX and for whatever reason I don't have IFB control from the QRX for TC or just control from the QRX for changing frequencies. Can anyone step me through the steps for what would make it work. I've done the steps according to Jack's instructions in this thread and still it doesn't work. I've been wrestling with it all week on the shoot I'm on. The RF is fine but I want that functionality back. It was handy when scanning and changing frequencies and if I use a recorder with the camera in REC Run. Anyway would love it if anyone has any info for me.

Paul

A few things - first update the TRX software to 730H. There was a bug in the previous version that the TRX would not take the first frequency change after a power cycle.

Second check your menu settings. The key items are:

Make sure both the TRX and the QRX are on the same Zaxnet frequency and the group codes are the same on both.

Make sure the IFB mode is set correctly on both the TRX and on the QRX (one should be TX and the other RX).

Make sure Zaxnet output is set to on in the QRX

Make sure "Allow IFB Remote Control" on the TRX is set to ON

Let me know if this works.

A little feedback... when my battery pack starts to run low, it appears that the IFB board runs out of juice first but the audio receivers continue to work fine. (I loose TRX remote control). It would be nice of there was some visual indication of low battery status, either a DC warning light or some flashing pattern of the LEDs or something.

Rubber Ducks... Hate them, that are too rigid for bag use. I have broken both of mine in the field. I actually am currently using the short whips from Lectro D4 / ISM band, as I have SMA to RP-SMA pigtails. I don't know if range is impacted, but seemed to work fine in a pinch.

When I upgrade to a 3rd QRX in the bag, rather than having a 3rd IFB antenna (strictly for TRX remote control), I would hope that firmware would be available to allow just a single IFB Tx. I like having control from each QRX separately for its associated Tx(s), but would hope that the control signals can be relayed between the QRXs, presumable via the USB option ports or something.

When I upgrade to a 3rd QRX in the bag, rather than having a 3rd IFB antenna (strictly for TRX remote control), I would hope that firmware would be available to allow just a single IFB Tx. I like having control from each QRX separately for its associated Tx(s), but would hope that the control signals can be relayed between the QRXs, presumable via the USB option ports or something.

i think you do can change multi TX's gain by different unit number you put on the one QIFB....... haven't tried yet but should work like that way ?!

i think you do can change multi TX's gain by different unit number you put on the one QIFB....... haven't tried yet but should work like that way ?!

Hi Cloud, you can put any group number and unit ID's that you wish, but only control 2 units at a time. What I would like to have is 3 QRX controlling up to 6 transmitters simultaneously, but only with 1 unit actually transmitting all of the data. I understand that Zaxcom (Howie) was working on a firmware version where this was possible by linking the QRX together so that they could relay the data amongst themselves.

The QRX linking software is finished. It works with 1 of the QRX having the IFB option. I believe it is in the current released version. We will publish a cable diagram to connect up the QRXs.

Glenn

Awesome, looking forward to seeing that. Another thing, is the 3 unit ZaxPaq ready to be ordered now?

A few things - first update the TRX software to 730H. There was a bug in the previous version that the TRX would not take the first frequency change after a power cycle.

Second check your menu settings. The key items are:

Make sure both the TRX and the QRX are on the same Zaxnet frequency and the group codes are the same on both.

Make sure the IFB mode is set correctly on both the TRX and on the QRX (one should be TX and the other RX).

Make sure Zaxnet output is set to on in the QRX

Make sure "Allow IFB Remote Control" on the TRX is set to ON

Let me know if this works.

Thanks Jack for all your help in this particular monster of Zaxcom wireless. :)

It turns out I didn't put the ifb option .bin file in the receiver. It was my bad although I think sometimes the dialogue from Zaxcom could stand to be a little more dumbed down and less programmy. (no offense Howy or Eric :) ). I thought the ifb was already in the original .bin 2-12 file for the QRX.

It didn't stop there though. Heh. The build of 7-30F for the trx900 did have a glitch where it wouldn't change the frequency from the QRX when I'd scan an area and change and then ofcourse the TRX wouldn't change the first time. Of course I also didn't know about that until after back and forth with Eric and Howy on all the menu options of both units and finally saw your post in this thread referring to the latest build that is available on the Zaxcom forum which I was also waiting for confirmation from the administrator. (breath) Anyway after much head scratching all is good now. It is functioning now better than the original build.

One thing I'm massively in love with is the timecode functionality on the units as I often will work on docs whereby I'll need to have a backup recorder that will match the tape time code. Very cool feature which is why I bought into the unit in the first place.

Now I'm super happy about the future with Zaxcom and also from this afternoon alone becoming a bit of an expert on the menus in these units. Heh.

Anyway thanks so much. I was really greatful for Howy for sending me the latest update which fixed that weird glitch in F whereby it doesn't change the channel right away.

Paul

On a related note I've been really wanting to think very seriously of the QRX as being my main Boom Operators Wireless feeds back to the recording environment. I was wondering about any feedback on the 992s and their functionality in the film world. Cable comparisons. Any compander type elements in the units. The RF behaviour et al. Do you have to use high gain antennae? etc. etc.

Also wondering about the QRX as becoming a command station for boom operators and also for video village to have the erx's being utilized for the boom ops for ifb audio and also for continuity and director. I've been building for years now in the world of documentary and lifestyle audio and am taking the next leap and want to be as cool as possible with the latest toys. :)

Lately I've been using movie slate for my notes and it's been a stellar device to use for sending info to post and production. The feedback has been wonderful for that kind of stuff and I want to keep on that line and my feeling is that Zaxcom is somewhat breaking the back of the comtek universe in that regard so I'm eager to push in that direction. I have other reliable ways of working but I'm definitely down with pushing the technological limits. Feedback would be great on that stuff.

Paul

Ok... so you're letting production actually listen in with them. I will never do this with mine, I love the ERX for camera solutions only, they're too brittle and delicate to be given to idiots that always seem to drop, sit on, drag on ground (yes this happened), lose, go home with, and dirty up my equipment (Comteks).

Ok... so you're letting production actually listen in with them. I will never do this with mine, I love the ERX for camera solutions only, they're too brittle and delicate to be given to idiots that always seem to drop, sit on, drag on ground (yes this happened), lose, go home with, and dirty up my equipment (Comteks).

I've never had an issue with the ERX units being fragile, especially if they are in a case. A $5 Blackberry case will protect the ERX from all the things you mentioned.

And if your receivers are abused beyond normal wear and tear then you bill production accordingly.

• 7 months later...

A few months ago I bought a QRX/TRX/STA setup to use as a camera hop. Everything seems to work fine except the IFB return audio.

No matter what I try it is always distorted, some sort of digital sounding static. I can control the transmitters through the IFB, so it is definitely set correctly. Timecode seems to send/receive properly. I've tried all the different settings over and over. I'd really like to get this to work, any idea what might be wrong?

Since we're into updating the topic, it seems there was and still is an issue with monitoring from cam (if I'm not mistaken and that'd be nice if I was).

In the "IFB Home Menu", you go to "IFB Input Mix" and there, you want to put "QRX" so you listen to the unit directly, as opposed to "L+R" that'll give you the camera return feed plus cracks'n'pops. The only setting I'm aware of to reduce these is going into the transmitter's menus and switch the "dropout compensator" on, should you still want to monitor the camera instead of what you send to the QRX.