Zaxcom QRX100 - Questions For Glenn

RPSharman

Glenn,

I am interested in adding/replacing some wireless to my kit (currently Lectro Venue - 4x21 & 2x22, along with one each 411a, 6xSM, 2x400, and a plug-on).

I am interested in the TRX900AA for wireless boom due to its flexibility for recording and IFB reception and AA battery usage.  Is there some sort of quality difference between the QRX100 mentioned above versus the RX900?  I like the idea of buying one receiver (which also seems to be an IFB transmitter) and 2 transmitters with the IFB reception option.

The QRX100 is described as for use with a video camera.  Any reason it can't be on the cart or in a bag with external 12v power?  It also appears to have the ability to send an IFB signal to the TRX900AA with the IFB option, and can remotely affect the gain also (effectively working as an IFB100).

Robert

P.S.  I did read the website, but want some sort of clarification as to whether I can receive a signal from 2 transmitters as well as feed the receiver an external source of audio and TC for IFB transmission.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robert

The RX900s and QRX100 have the same audio quality. Definitely use the QRX100 in a bag or cart. The form factor is designed for a camera but the QRX100 will go anywhere.

I would look at the TRX992 for Boom rather than the TRX900AA. The TRX992 7 Hour battery life, true diversity IFB RX, 48V power, balanced XLR input and powerful headphone amp/ monitor mixer make it the TRX992 the best choice.  If you have your heart set on the TRX900AA look at a neat 48V boom adaptor made by our French dealer Arietec.

The QRX100 with option board will be able to control the gain of the TRX900 as well as broadcast IFB audio and time code.

The RX900 will receive a single mono or stereo transmitter. The QRX100 will receive two mono or stereo transmitters for 2,3, and 4 channel audio receive combinations.

As the QRX100, ERX1,  TRX900LT and Zaxnet are very new and allow for functionality that has not been seen before I invite questions to be asked here on uses of the new system. I will be on the group every day to answer.

Best Wishes

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

Hello Glenn,

Thanks for the info on the new product.  Let me see if I get this right...  I can have 2 TRX992 boom rigs operating with the IFB and full gain control with one QRX100 receiver?  The receiver giving discreet mono outputs for each boom rig, not a split stereo?

Thanks again.

Thanks, Glenn.

TRX900LT?  What's that?  Not on the website.

I did look at the 992, which is a great product, but I like to buy things with multiple purposes, and the 900 series can go on an an actor if necessary.  I like the use of AA batteries, although the smaller Tx using the CR123 is interesting too.

Have people had good luck finding and using rechargeable CR123 batteries?

Robert

Thanks, Glenn.

TRX900LT?  What's that?  Not on the website.

Have people had good luck finding and using rechargeable CR123 batteries?

Robert

My investigation and testing of rechargeable CR123 batteries did not go so well. For some reason, possibly that the CR123's are just too low capacity, I could not get my TRX900 to run more than 3 hours on a rechargeable. Typically they run 5 hours + on disposable lithiums.

As for the TRX900LT, it is on the Zaxcom website:

Check out the latest addition to the TRX series of digital wireless transmitters, the TRX900LT. The TRX900LT combines crystal clear digital wireless transmission, a built-in backup recorder and remote control functionality via ZaxNet into a single, lower-cost system for episodic television production, motion picture and broadcast events.

Designed to be lightweight and durable, the TRX900LT is housed in a high strength, impact resistant nylon polymer casing that provides protection from both corrosion and water damage.

Like all Zaxcom digital wireless, the TRX900LT features 100% digital transmission for audio quality that rivals a hard-wired system and is fully encrypted to eliminate the possibility of production audio interception and theft. It features our patented internal timecode referenced back-up recorder which backs up the transmitted audio onto a removable microSD card eliminating the possibility of audio loss due to interference or signal dropout. The TRX900LT operates for up to five hours on a single AA lithium battery and is fully compatible with all Zaxcom wireless receivers and IFB transmitters.

The TRX900LT is also fully compatible with ZaxNet, Zaxcom’s new 2.4-GHz RFnetwork that enables the distribution of remote control signals, timecode, IFB audio, and metadata. With ZaxNet, TRX900LT users can remotely control gain settings and replay audio via a timecode reference giving production sound mixers the ability to replay and remix audio, creating a virtual multi-track playback and re-record system

The TRX900LT with internal recording will be available late June 2010.

post-1-130815086843_thumb.jpg

The QRX100 with option board will be able to control the gain of the TRX900 as well as broadcast IFB audio and time code.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

I have asked this in another thread but here I go again: can I use the QRX100 as a replacement for the IFB100? Connect the QRX to the Fusion and control gain settings on the TX with the Fusion knobs?

Best, Matthias

The only benefit of the RX900S that I can see is the fact that it has a full sized XLR connector and a slight weight difference!  The lack of internal power may be a deal breaker for a lot of ENG mixers...most toy cameras do not have external power outputs.

Keep in mind that the QRX100 is a NEW product and possibly meant to somewhat replace the RX900S.

Hey Glenn,

I have a question..  If I want to use two QRX100's in an ENG bag to receive four talent mics and I want to control all four transmitters' functions via zaxnet then do both QRX receivers need to have the IFB board installed?

I'm hoping that one IFB board is enough and you can daisy chain multiple Rx's with the serial connection. 

I am going to check with Howy on this as it could go either way. I would like to see the gain control function work for all transmitters with just one option board but there may be a technical reason that we may need one in each receiver.

Glenn

hi Glenn

i post this again:

now i'm using one RX900S and one IFB100(receive camera output signal and TC out) hang on the camera side,so if it's a single camera job,they use REC RUN,set up the IFB100 and TRX&STA in my bag both to AUTO-LOAD status,the TRX will automatic go into record model,and with same REC RUN timecode as the camera,there is always one frame out from TRX to the camera. And free run also does this function as well.Really make my life easier.

the strange thing is : i want to listen the camera's output from IFB100(camera's 5pin output to IFB100's input),BY the IFB function on my TRX&STA150,but everytime when i listen to the audio output on the STA150,i only can hear PEAK feedback sound(set the audio from IFB RX or IFB MIX),(don't know why),i set the tc source in my TRX to IFB,timecode output OFF, the weird thing is i can hear playback(camera output from ERX,but not on my TRX&STA) anyone maybe can point out i set something wrong or some experience with this set up ?

best

Cloud

When using the QRX  with a TRX900 AA and an STA adaptor can you get both IFB return from the camera and Time Code return simultaneously - or is it one or the other?

You get both coming back but only one is output to the connector. The return time code is used to control the recorder in the TRX900AA. The output jack is switchable between IFB audio return and time code out.

Our ERX1TCD will output both at the same time.

Glenn

Jack

Hi Cloud

You may not have the IFB option in the TRX900. Since you can receive OK on the ERX. We will need to check this. Please Email me your TRX900AA serial number privately and we will sort this out for you.

Best Wishes

Glenn

Glenn thanks for the info.

I've been a loyal Lectrosonic user for around 20 years now, and the QRX will be the first non Lectro wireless I will own. After doing extensive research I am excited and looking fowad to getting the QRX. I think it offers so much more than anything that is currently out there and is a huge advance to bag based recording.

Keep up the good work.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Glen,

I have received my 1st bit of Zaxcom gear, the QRX100, two weeks ago. I did a test with the tech from Lemac in Sydney Australia before leaving, and we found a powering up issue with the unit.

It seems that it requires a battery charge of a minimum 14 volts to power up the unit, but once up and running it can run down to just over 12 volts. There was also a another unit that we tested with the same results.

This might be something to make aware to people who might have difficulties starting up the unit, as it runs on external power.

Apart from this, it is an awesome bit of gear!

Cheers

B Wilson

Hi Glen,

I have received my 1st bit of Zaxcom gear, the QRX100, two weeks ago. I did a test with the tech from Lemac in Sydney Australia before leaving, and we found a powering up issue with the unit.

It seems that it requires a battery charge of a minimum 14 volts to power up the unit, but once up and running it can run down to just over 12 volts. There was also a another unit that we tested with the same results.

This might be something to make aware to people who might have difficulties starting up the unit, as it runs on external power.

Apart from this, it is an awesome bit of gear!

Cheers

B Wilson

Hi Bronson.

Hope you're well mate.

Are you using your QRX to send 4 channels to a camera?

Cheers.

Peter Mega