Location Playback cart question

ElanorR

A question for those of you who do music playback on set: Do you use a mixer or controller in conjuction with your DAW and interface? If so, what one?  Ive been looking for the perfect solution for a small playback cart that would have enough busses to feed mains, a potential thumper, and 2 discreet earwig transmitters from DAW and VOG.  I would love to find an analog solution that takes dc power and has enough outputs to do that without being giant...but maybe a controller would be sufficient and stable enough. What do you think?

I can't remember where I saw it (either on here or Instagram) but I saw a playback cart with the SSL Big 6 mixer.  It's DC powered but needs 15 volts so you'd need something like the Remote Audio JBIG15 to regulate the power.  Being SSL, I'm sure it sounds great and it's USB-C too to talk to your computer + also is technically analog.

My playback cart is a Soundcart Minicart. Signal Flow is:

DAW > Behringer FCA610 Interface (8 line outputs) > Sound Devices 552. 2 out of 3 outputs that don't hit the 552 I use as direct outs to the production mixer for program and timecode. The remaining one floats as an extra which I sometimes use as a thump track.

I use a Korg Nanonkontrol 2 controller mainly just for transport controls, but the faders are good for adjusting sends when needed and you can program the buttons to do whatever you want. I power everything except the laptop off of DC. The cart is cute and tiny!

That sounds good also.  Right now Im using the 552 as my mixer as well, but am looking for a few more outs in the next design without losing dc power. Its hard to beat that little 552 for sure.  There are many ways to skin this proverbial cat.  

I don't do big playback stuff...However I get asked from time to time for it.. this is how I do it on my cart. Keep in mind this is for thump track or 10-15 seconds of music for a spot. Not a full on music video.

MBP --> Protools --> Dante --> SD Scorpio --> Powered Speaker

Dante routing from MBP
Assign MBP Dante output  to an input on Scorpio. Usually #16.
Route to BUS ONLY (usually Bus10) to an output and then out to the speaker.

This gives me fader control on CL16 and all the routing/recording capabilities. It's also extremely quick to setup. Quite literally plug and play.

Curious, what is the accepted rate on adding playback to an already booked A1 role? And what does a playback rig alone get?

I ask because I get this request from time to time as well, and so far the only additional equipment I'd need to bring is the active PA. But when I see a full playback rig set up it's incredibly complicated from an equipment perspective. And this includes doing short runs of a couple minutes (max) along with the 'music video' type set up.

For recent movies I built up bespoke hybrid playback/record rigs that reflected the exact needs of those productions.  One was based on a MOTU 828ES, the other on a Focusrite 18i20.  In one case I had a small Yamaha mixer as a speaker controller, in the other I did that via the level controls on the ADAC.   The two ADACs got the jobs done but I disliked their limitations enough that both were sold not long after those productions wrapped.  For the next project of scale I think I'd look at the RME Fireface UFXII.  A good deal more expensive than the 2 I mentioned, but way more flexible and without a lot of gotcha limitations on routings. 

On 1/30/2023 at 2:38 PM, greg sextro said:

Most of the playback mixer goto-s here in NY use control surfaces.  One just uses a mouse!

My 2 cents is that a control surface is great, just make sure you spend a little time to make sure it's compatible and reliable.  A lot of them are DC powered, or even USB bus powered.

A simple control surface is an option.  Im a little concerned about dependability in a pinch with a more complicated one. One middle of the night when...maybe there was drink and overthinking, I bought an Avid S1 that I cant even keep running in my tiny home studio.  That thing is way overkill.

9 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

For recent movies I built up bespoke hybrid playback/record rigs that reflected the exact needs of those productions.  One was based on a MOTU 828ES, the other on a Focusrite 18i20.  In one case I had a small Yamaha mixer as a speaker controller, in the other I did that via the level controls on the ADAC.   The two ADACs got the jobs done but I ...

That's good real world critique. Thanks!