Aside from your personal opinion

Eric Toline

In all fairness shouldn't there also be a "All Things Microsoft" category?

Eric

No, there should not. Microsoft is a software company losing ground everyday...  Apple is a technology company setting the bar for the rest of the world. So, 'All Things Apple' is appropriate and if anyone wants to talk about just software they can post it anywhere they want.

-  Jeff Wexler

No, there should not. Microsoft is a software company losing ground everyday...  Apple is a technology company setting the bar for the rest of the world. So, 'All Things Apple' is appropriate and if anyone wants to talk about just software they can post it anywhere they want.

-  Jeff Wexler

I'm with you Jeff...Apple to the core.....

BVS

-  Jeff Wexler

I know this is your site and you can do what you want but nothing ever said here offends me more than your statement above. Based on that, I would fully expect to see an "All things Zaxcom" section any time now.

Eric

I know this is your site and you can do what you want but nothing ever said here offends me more than your statement above. Based on that, I would fully expect to see an "All things Zaxcom" section any time now.

Eric

It saddens me that you are offended. As for an "All Things Zaxcom" it's not going to happen. Comparing Zaxcom to Apple? Did Glen Sanders show up on the cover of TIME, did Zaxcom sell a Deva every 3 seconds of everyday? My point is that Apple is probably one of the most significant companies, and the development of Apple products has and will for the foreseeable future have a profound affect on so much of the technology we use in our daily lives and our working world. I just felt it deserved it's own section. Please ignore it if it bothers you.

-  Jeff Wexler

It saddens me that you are offended. As for an "All Things Zaxcom" it's not going to happen. Comparing Zaxcom to Apple? Did Glen Sanders show up on the cover of TIME, did Zaxcom sell a Deva every 3 seconds of everyday? My point is that Apple is probably one of the most significant companies, and the development of Apple products has and will for the foreseeable future have a profound affect on so much of the technology we use in our daily lives and our working world. I just felt it deserved it's own section. Please ignore it if it bothers you.

-  Jeff Wexler

Now as probably the least computer knowledgeable person on this site, I have no clue as to the plusses or minuses of either Apple or Microsoft so nothing said affects me either way but you totally missed the point I was making. It's not that Zaxcom is as big or as well known as Apple, it's because of your "worship" of Apple that you felt it was worthy of it's own section. In the future I shall ignore this section as there is nothing here that I either understand or interests me.

Eric

Guest BobD

Now as probably the least computer knowledgeable person on this site, I have no clue as to the plusses or minuses of either Apple or Microsoft so nothing said affects me either way but you totally missed the point I was making. It's not that Zaxcom is as big or as well known as Apple, it's because of your "worship" of Apple that you felt it was worthy of it's own section. In the future I shall ignore this section as there is nothing here that I either understand or interests me.

Eric

Dude......  Who really gives a rats ass.... Take a deep breath.... as with any forum or post, just move on.... If Jeff chooses to worship Zaxcom, or the devil, who cares...  don't be so offended... Have a nice glass of wine Eric...

It's not that Zaxcom is as big or as well known as Apple, it's because of your "worship" of Apple that you felt it was worthy of it's own section.

Eric

I'm with BobD on this...  just ignore this glaring personal flaw of mine. Do not for a minute think that I "worship" Apple or Zaxcom or any other company/technology. I do have a keen interest in Apple dating back to my first Apple II computer, and of course I have an interest in Zaxcom from my use of the original Deva I. Zaxcom has already been recognized and honored with an Academy Award for its contribution to our industry and certainly Apple is not short of recognition, achievement and honor, so neither company needs its own section here...  I just felt like putting something up about Apple.

-  Jeff Wexler

Note that Apple now has the second-biggest market cap in the country, second only to Exxon-Mobil. The company is essentially worth about $242 billion, give or take.

Me, I find Apple an incredibly brilliant and frustrating company to deal with -- a lotta plusses and minuses. I like their products most of the time (with the recent exception of the iPad), but I think they're difficult with developers, arrogant to users, and I think a lot of their prices are out of line with reality. And like Jeff, I was an Apple II owner back in 1981 (though I didn't get a Mac until 1987, and I continue to use both Macs and Windows machines).

Dealing with Apple is like going to a grand restaurant that has snooty waiters, terrible service, high prices, and really, really great food and great decor. You can almost put up with all the former for the latter, but not everyone is willing to do it.

I gotta say, I'm looking forward to Steve Jobs' big speech at WWDC on Monday (6/7/2010). Aside from the new iPhone, I'm very curious to see if he's got an "oh, and one more thing" announcement to make.

--Marc W.

This techno-idolotry saddens and sickens me. Look around you. Look at the ADDICTS. Look at the Gulf oil spill catastrophe. We are ruining the world with our dependency on cute little shiny mindless power-hungry gadgets.

Especially within our own industry... so many shiny new gadgets... Anyone that can cough up a few grand for a shiny new Canon 5D MkII is a filmmaker, don't you know? But WAIT! it doesn't have this... and it doesn't have that... but the new 5D Mk III, Mk IV, MK V and Mk VI will! Don't forget to get in line at midnight on BLACK FRIDAY you miserable lemmings.

Are people becoming more effective communicators as a result of all this technology? Is the world becoming a better place through all of this techno-enlightenment?

Apple is simply just another example of Consumerism run amuck. Pull the plug for a day and watch the 'World of Tomorrow' come undone.

Everybody's talking but no one is listening, folks. WAKE UP! FWIW, Steve Jobs has become the enemy he hoped to slay.

Now, ask me how I REALLY feel... ;)

This techno-idolotry saddens and sickens me. Look around you. Look at the ADDICTS. Look at the Gulf oil spill catastrophe. We are ruining the world with our dependency on cute little shiny mindless power-hungry gadgets.

How did we go from a cool phone to oil spills? It's not the same thing.

Just because somebody's peripherally interested in gadgets doesn't mean they don't also see the big picture, and they don't know how to act as human beings. As Woody Allen once wrote, "I love being reduced to a cultural stereotype."

--Marc W.

I have a cameraman friend who has a thing about people using cell phones and such at innappropriate times so he bought a cell phone jammer from some overseas outfit. It shuts off all phones in a 100 ft radius. He uses it on sets, in movie theaters and especially in his car. He tells me the look on other drivers faces when their phone goes dead is priceless.

Eric

I assume that most of these products (the polymers, plastics) are made from petroleum derivatives, no?  Besides the fact that we burn petrol to manufacture, distribute and even purchase these gadgets.

I am as guilty as the next guy, so...just sayin'

-Jason

How did we go from a cool phone to oil spills? It's not the same thing.

Just because somebody's peripherally interested in gadgets doesn't mean they don't also see the big picture, and they don't know how to act as human beings. As Woody Allen once wrote, "I love being reduced to a cultural stereotype."

--Marc W.

And I am just as guilty too... but that is about to change for me.

I am hoping that you'll take a closer look at how DEPENDENT we are on this gadget-technology, and how it masquerades as a problem-solver. You can get so easily-blinded by all the whiz-bang that you justify the problems technology-driven consumerism creates.

There was a time when there was a thing called Philosophy of Science... When philosophers, learned folks, and responsible persons asked questions about the potential benefit(s) science/technology had for mankind, and their conclusions weighed heavily on its ultimate viability. These questions were tempered by a willingness to better understand our world and a responsibility toward our fellow man and our environment.

I fear that much of today's technology is without philosophy or understanding of its consequence, is designed around preoccupation and dependency, and is driven by greed. And we are quick to drink the Kool-Aid.

As with Apple, as it is true in life... there is no "i" in team... and we are all in this together, folks.

End of sermon.

Per Apple,

Have used their stuff for years, I have NEVER owned a PC.... 

After Many Computers, airports, Ipods, laptops, accessories and other Apple crap, I have to say I am totally satisfied. I am satisfied with their service, their products, the dependability, their durability, and the attitude of the workers in the Apple stores.

I am probably in the minority here, but I HAVE NOT ONE PROBLEM WITH THEM!!!

Are the laptops expensive, maybe, but my damn laptops work... ALWAYS....  I still have an old G4 15 Macbook that works great, It's sat in my van for years now...

You do get what you pay for.... The crap works.... 

My only complaint would be that the way they roll things out for the masses is strange... the first Iphone with a tiny storage capacity to rope in future sales down the road... Get 'em excited, make 'em buy, then re introduce the same gadget with more memory and a few perks that could of been employed in the original. Smart marketing, but, strange... 

I have learned to always buy the second or third generation of any of their products....

But, for me....  I would never own another computer....  period.

QUOTE FROM BRENT:Apple is simply just another example of Consumerism run amuck. Pull  the plug for a day and watch the 'World of Tomorrow' come undone.

Make SURE you own at least 2 nice semi automatic rifles....  and the rounds to go with them... ALWAYS!!!!  ;)

"There was a time when there was a thing called Philosophy of Science... When philosophers, learned folks, and responsible persons asked questions about the potential benefit(s) of science/technology to mankind, and their conclusions weighed heavily on its ultimate viability. These questions were tempered by a willingness to better understand our world and a responsibility toward our fellow man and our environment."

There is only one all pervasive philosophy in this country, and worldwide, that dictates virtually everything, and that is the Philosophy of Profit, the inalienable right to "do business" regardless of the consequences ultimately to life and the health of our planet. I agree that we are all participants in our own destiny and we are all responsible in varying degrees for the state we are in --- this is not to say that we cannot change and develop a new Philosophy of Life to alter the destructive path we are all on.

"I fear that much of today's technology is without philosophy or understanding of its consequence, designed around preoccupation and dependency, and is driven by greed."

It is too easy to just call this "greed" since it is an all pervasive and seemingly totally righteous way of life --- if an individual or a corporation can be profitable, go for it! As for the consequences, short term or long term, think about what our last President said when asked about his legacy: paraphrasing "why should I care about my legacy, I will be dead by then anyway".