Aside from your personal opinion

Eric Toline

Guest Ken Mantlo

And I am just as guilty too... but that is about to change for me....

Be prepared to live in the 1850's then.  I would guess that most modern people would gladly put a bullet in their head then live life without oil and ALL that it does for us. 

<<There is only one all pervasive philosophy in this country, and worldwide, that dictates virtually everything, and that is the Philosophy of Profit, the inalienable right to "do business" regardless of the consequences ultimately to life and the health of our planet.>>

It's called capitalism, or rather neo-capitalism, Jeff... :)

-------

<<There was a time when there was a thing called Philosophy of Science...>>

This is worth reading and revisiting:

The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction

http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/ge/benjamin.htm

Please don't get put off by the website address (for those who get put off) - the source is UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television; Transcribed: by Andy Blunden 1998; proofed and corrected Feb. 2005.

-vin

Vin,

Thanks for that link -- very interesting and revealing. My favorite quote... "If the natural utilization of  productive forces is impeded by the property system, the increase in technical  devices, in speed, and in the sources of energy will press for an unnatural  utilization, and this is found in war. The destructiveness of war furnishes  proof that society has not been mature enough to incorporate technology as its  organ, that technology has not been sufficiently developed to cope with the  elemental forces of society. The horrible features of imperialistic warfare are  attributable to the discrepancy between the tremendous means of production and  their inadequate utilization in the process of production – in other words, to  unemployment and the lack of markets. Imperialistic war is a rebellion of  technology which collects, in the form of “human material,” the claims to which  society has denied its natural materrial. Instead of draining rivers, society  directs a human stream into a bed of trenches; instead of dropping seeds from  airplanes, it drops incendiary bombs over cities; and through gas warfare the  aura is abolished in a new way."           

Jeff,

Sorry to hijack this thread. It wasn't my intention. The whole Apple iPhone 4 product launch hype just struck a nerve. Perhaps this topic needs to live under Society, Politics and the Planet. Anyway, thank you for providing a forum for this type of dialogue. For the record, I have no gripe with Apple per say... just mindless consumerism.

My Best to All.

Jeff,

Sorry to hijack this thread. It wasn't my intention. The whole Apple iPhone 4 product launch hype just struck a nerve. Perhaps this topic needs to live under Society, Politics and the Planet. Anyway, thank you for providing a forum for this type of dialogue. For the record, I have no gripe with Apple per say... just mindless consumerism.

My Best to All.

I know, talk about a hijacking! No harm, no foul. I personally don't mind where these discussions are actually placed --- I am pleased that we are having the discussion! More appropriate, for sure, in Society, Politics and the Planet, but I'm not going to lose any sleep.

-  Jeff Wexler

I am hoping that you'll take a closer look at how DEPENDENT we are on this gadget-technology, and how it masquerades as a problem-solver. You can get so easily-blinded by all the whiz-bang that you justify the problems technology-driven consumerism creates.

I agree with much of that. But I think it's a case of knowing when to stop, and when too much is too much. I remember once trying to have lunch with a 20-something producer who headed up a project I was doing for him, and so help me, we didn't get three sentences out before he'd get a cell call. I think in 45 minutes of lunch, I got maybe 3 minutes of actual conversation.

I could've stopped him and said: "hey! That's really rude. Shut the phone off and let's talk." But the guy was paying me good money for a lotta work, so I bit my tongue until it bled.

Me, I have no desire to be connected 100% of the time. A coupla hours a day... fine. But not when I'm with friends, trying to conduct business, or having a conversation.

BTW, on the last film project I was on, I was startled by the number of people who'd jump on their cellphones and start texting the instant every scene was finished. (Especially those who leave the sound on, so you hear a "whoosh" sound effect when they send the text.) Lunchtime, I have no problem with, but jesus... work is work. Put the F'in phone down and do your job.

--Marc W. [getting closer to cranky old-timer every day]

I agree with much of that. But I think it's a case of knowing when to stop, and when too much is too much. I remember once trying to have lunch with a 20-something producer who headed up a project I was doing for him, and so help me, we didn't get three sentences out before he'd get a cell call. I think in 45 minutes of lunch, I got maybe 3 minutes of actual conversation.

I could've stopped him and said: "hey! That's really rude. Shut the phone off and let's talk." But the guy was paying me good money for a lotta work, so I bit my tongue until it bled.

Me, I have no desire to be connected 100% of the time. A coupla hours a day... fine. But not when I'm with friends, trying to conduct business, or having a conversation.

BTW, on the last film project I was on, I was startled by the number of people who'd jump on their cellphones and start texting the instant every scene was finished. (Especially those who leave the sound on, so you hear a "whoosh" sound effect when they send the text.) Lunchtime, I have no problem with, but jesus... work is work. Put the F'in phone down and do your job.

--Marc W. [getting closer to cranky old-timer every day]

You need one of these beautys: www.direct-gadget.com works wonders in bring civility to sets.

Eric

Guest Ken Mantlo

Hey Ken, I'm ready! And, hey -- at least that's LIVING. Got my guns, germs and steel.

Ok then.  Oh, and don't forget that there is no recorded sound without oil so you're going to have to find a new living.  Perhaps census taker?

Ken, humanity has lived without internal combustion engines for many centuries, so if there is no oil, it is possible for life to go on. Only problem is that one may need to revert to other mores - of work, of life and survival. How good or bad life was prior to the internal combustion engine is subjective.

-vin

Ok then.  Oh, and don't forget that there is no recorded sound without oil so you're going to have to find a new living.  Perhaps census taker?

Ken, if the world stopped making shit made out of oil today, we'd have enough shit to last us well into the next millennium. Something tells me you're secretly holding out for a position with the TSA.

Guest Ken Mantlo

Ken, humanity has lived without internal combustion engines for many centuries, so if there is no oil, it is possible for life to go on. Only problem is that one may need to revert to other mores - of work, of life and survival. How good or bad life was prior to the internal combustion engine is subjective.

-vin

The internal combustion engine is only a small part of your life that oil makes possible.  Another small area is plastics.  You can't go a day without plastics making your life easier.  You wouldn't even be reading this on your computer if it wasn't for oil.  Circuit boards, miracles of medicine, abundant food, labor saving devices and even your ample leisure time would be gone if not for oil.  Oil is much more then just gas in your car.

Guest Ken Mantlo

Ken, if the world stopped making shit made out of oil today, we'd have enough shit to last us well into the next millennium. Something tells me you're secretly holding out for a position with the TSA.

Brent,

My comment on you becoming a census taker was not a reflection of your abilities.  Census taking is the only job growth in this country at the moment.  It's sad that the POTUS looks at it as a positive sign.

Guest Ken Mantlo

Legal, schmegal. If you won't tell then I won't tell. (ps, they work great just about anywhere)

Eric

Do they scew up your radios if you use it on set?