Zaxcom ZFR100?

ptalsky

Hey all,

I was just doing my usual check of sound equipment and I see that B&H is taking orders for the ZFR100.  Has anyone heard anything about this recorder yet?  Is it really available?  Would love to hear a hands-on report.

Thanks!

Phil

Glenn S. showed it to me yesterday @ AES, and I was very impressed.  The body looks like one of Zax's 900 series TX, w/ a SD card slot , and has little transport buttons mounted on the top surface (where you could see them if the thing was in a bag rig).

Audio and TC are taken in via an accessory box that mates w/ the side (mini).  It has its own TC gen and can jam sync from external.  It can also do a "triggered" record w/ incoming TC, and thus work w/ TC transmitted from a camera.  From what he said it would be available soon (this yr.) and cost, w/ the TC and stereo audio options) about $1250ish.

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I am happy to be joining you in this most prolific, thoughtful and civilized forum.

The XFR-100 should start shipping within a couple of "Zaxcom" weeks. However, the recording function is available now on the TRX-900 & 990 transmitters.

I'm really looking forward to showing this off to prospective users. IMHO, this new technology could very well be a turning point in how audio is acquired and stored on location, and how it is ingested and married to video in post. Just imagine no longer being limited by the number of camera tracks, the quality of inputs or recording on the camera, actors stepping on each other's lines, or even clean RF channels.

Every mic will have it's own TC referenced digital recording, and each mic will have it's own NLE track for the editor to mix.

Hey Marty welcome to Jeffs site, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I am also waiting and waiting for the arrival of the xfr-100. The Zaxcom weeks are few? I hope so cause it is my 1st choice as a back up recorder. I'm also thinking about the SD 2 trk with tc. I'm not sure I understand your turning point comment. It's a recorder. It is small yes, but I don't see it changing how we work so much as being one more tool in the toolbox. Welcome aboard.

old school

We are very close to delivering the first bach of ZFR100s. We need to do a little house keeping before we let them go. This is almost a consumer product so we want to get all of the features into it before the release.  We do have some beta testers lined up and want them to have at it as well.

Glenn

Hey thanks folks, It's nice to see Jeff's forum so busy.

I've been reading Billy's posts with interest. While he is indeed using them to back up his radios (appropriately prudent), I am surmising a point in time (down the road) where they could become primary audio, a sort of virtual multitrack recorder, with the RF's being backup. An ISO track of every mic gives post the ultimate flexibility in the final mix. In this I am referring to the TRX package rather than the ZFR alone.

This may be more appropriate for some types of production (video, television) than others (film), but it is an intriguing concept.