Motu timecode troubles - and Boom Recorder

I'm having some troubles getting TC from a 744t to a Motu 828Mk3 - specifically to do with 23.976 TC rate.

The Motu SPMTE Setup app seems to read incoming TC at every other frame rate but 23.976...once I switch the 744t and the 828 to 23.976, the clock stops moving.

It does generally switch over to different TCs when I switch it on the 744t (I get a pop-up window letting me know it's getting a different TC rate) - sometimes it detects the new incoming rate properly, and sometimes it doesn't.  And sometimes it even notices when I've switched the 744t to 23.976 - and then it does the same thing - stops counting.

This happens not only when I use an analog input on the 828, but also the dedicated SMPTE in.

Further - Boom Recorder was working properly and getting the TC from the 828, but now it won't!  Yikes!  I've rechecked the settings and everything...

Any help?

Thanks,

-Greg-

I'm having some troubles getting TC from a 744t to a Motu 828Mk3 - specifically to do with 23.976 TC rate.

The Motu SPMTE Setup app seems to read incoming TC at every other frame rate but 23.976...once I switch the 744t and the 828 to 23.976, the clock stops moving.

It does generally switch over to different TCs when I switch it on the 744t (I get a pop-up window letting me know it's getting a different TC rate) - sometimes it detects the new incoming rate properly, and sometimes it doesn't.  And sometimes it even notices when I've switched the 744t to 23.976 - and then it does the same thing - stops counting.

This happens not only when I use an analog input on the 828, but also the dedicated SMPTE in.

Further - Boom Recorder was working properly and getting the TC from the 828, but now it won't!  Yikes!  I've rechecked the settings and everything...

Any help?

Thanks,

-Greg-

MOTU firmware updated, esp re: Mac OS vers?

Why do you need the MOTU box to recognize the TC rate--why do you need SMPTE setup at all?  The LTC is input on one of the analog line inputs?  BR should detect it and what frame rate it is automatically (in my experience).  Can't help w/ the dedicated TC input on the 828--never tried that.  BTW: couldn't you skip the TC to the MOTU completely and take the TC into the computer via the computer's own audio input?  BR can see that input too if you do Device Aggro.

Philip Perkins

Ok.  That seems to be the trick.

It seems it was getting the TC from when I had it connected thru the audio 2 input!

Thanks for the help Phil - Not only am I new to the Motu Box, I'm totally new to Boom Recorder!

I still don't know why the 828 won't recognize the 23.976 TC - but whatever, it seems that won't matter.  I do have it clocking from the 744t though - as I've read this will be very important to help maintain sync over long takes.

One question:  as a matter of practice: do you end up recording the incoming TC track as a file/part of your deliverables?  Or do you just de-activate the "file" for that input in the patch bay?  I can imagine needing it for a transcription, but otherwise have never been asked to also record an audio TC track.

Kudos!

-Greg-

Any help?

Thanks,

-Greg-

From my experience with the MOTU Traveler, the clocks on the MOTU units are not very accurate.  So if you are doing long takes, it may be helpful to feed the MOTU unit wordclock from the 744T in addition to timecode.  Boom Recorder will stamp the audio file with the timecode at the head of the file, but the MOTU unit's internal clock will take over from there. 

From my experience with the MOTU Traveler, the clocks on the MOTU units are not very accurate.  So if you are doing long takes, it may be helpful to feed the MOTU unit wordclock from the 744T in addition to timecode.  Boom Recorder will stamp the audio file with the timecode at the head of the file, but the MOTU unit's internal clock will take over from there.

The MOTU clock is not very accurate, but that has nothing to do w/passing TC to the recording app, which uses it to timestamp the files.

Motu boxes can clock themselves to many different external clocks--w/a 744 WC or AES work really well. 

Philip Perkins

I generally don't record timecode. Something to be aware of when feeding BR timecode: make sure you are not feeding to more than one track. By that I'm mean even the tracks that are not on screen ie through BR patchbay with the tracks that are NOT showing. Had some funkiness withthat once

I used to feed my mix track to Boom Recorder via digital out of the 744T into my FW interface.  On the RME, it served the clock function as well as providing the mix to track 1.  Not sure if the MOTU will sync to a digital audio input, but I suspect it will.  One cable vs. two.

There is no need to record TC, unless for a specific purpose.  Also, if you run out of inputs on your MOTU, Boom Recorder jams TC as well.  You can pull the TC from the 744T out of your MOTU and replace it with an ISO from the mixer.  The TC display in BR will turn gray, but will still be holding TC.

Robert

Thanks guys.  This is making much more sense to me. 

The reason I chose the 828 mk3 was because it had the i/o i was looking for.  the traveler is a nice piece of gear, but only has 4 line level inputs.  I need anywhere from 6 to 8.  (6 isos from a mixer, plus a 1 to 2 channel mix)

I can jam the TC with one of the 2 mic/instrument inputs on the front panel (gain cranked down, -20db pad engaged), rather than having to pull an audio input on the rear - also very helpful for the rig I'm putting together.

I have read numerous places on this site about the importance of feeding the 828 wordclock from an external more stable source - in this case from my 744t - so I have that set up as well.

-Greg-

Thanks guys.  This is making much more sense to me. 

The reason I chose the 828 mk3 was because it had the i/o i was looking for.

-Greg-

Quick question: is the MOTU 828 AC power only? If so, that was not an issue for you for the rig you are putting together?

-  Jeff Wexler

The reason I chose the 828 mk3 was because it had the i/o i was looking for.  the traveler is a nice piece of gear, but only has 4 line level inputs.  I need anywhere from 6 to 8.  (6 isos from a mixer, plus a 1 to 2 channel mix)

-Greg-

The MOTU Traveler has 4 Mic/Line and 4 Line only inputs.  The Mic/Line level inputs accepts both XLR and 1/4" cables.  So it does have 8 line level inputs and is DC powered.

Another option to consider is the RME Fireface 400.  IMO, it has better quality converters, Mic Preamps, more accurate clock than the MOTU units. 

My understanding is it has only 4 line level.  the other 4 are mic/instrument level ins.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/traveler-mk3/i-o.html

I know Phil Perkins uses this device.  Maybe he can confirm this for us.

-Greg-

The MOTU Traveler has 4 Mic/Line and 4 Line only inputs.  The Mic/Line level inputs accepts both XLR and 1/4" cables.  So it does have 8 line level inputs and is DC powered.

Another option to consider is the RME Fireface 400.  IMO, it has better quality converters, Mic Preamps, more accurate clock than the MOTU units.

Hi Michael,

Padded down meaning you can run in at line level and have no issues?  How's the headroom?

-Greg-

The Travelers are 8 line in, with the first 4 having mic pres as well (and manual front panel trim).  An issue w/ the Traveler has been what it calls line level I call too hot, so I ended up building inline pads for the direct outs of my cart mixer, and drop in hardware pads in front of the inputs when I'm connected to a house console sending me direct outs (on my rack rig).  10 or 15 db is enough, if you do this then the headroom is fine (I record a lot of music, incl drums, without limiters or other signal processing and it does just fine).  It should also be said that a Traveler mk2 is actually a 20 input device (8 analog, 8 ADAT, 2 AES and 2 SPDIF--all can be used at the same time) and the Traveler mk3 is a 28 input device (all of the above plus a 2nd ADAT port w/ 8 more inputs).  Both versions also output the mix from Bus 1 of the Traveler's internal mixer (via the CueMix app), and so can send 22 or 30 channels to the computer at once.

There are some good deals on Mk2 Travelers used these days.

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

Philip convinced me about the traveler a while back... glad he did, it's been flawless.  As for the TC signal, I don't have BoomRecorder make a file (grayed out), but you do need to have the source selected in BR for the sync to work.... pretty much what Robert said already.

• 1 month later...