35mm pick up shots

Ferdi

Dear Sound Guys and Girls,

I have two weeks to get familiar with using Fostex PD-4 TC DAT.  The sound jobs I’ve done up to about three weeks ago have been ENG style sound mixing and had never done a time code based double system before.

This will be my first 35mm (low budget) shoot. It will be 2 days of pick up shots.

Again I have never used a time code slate nor have I ever used the the Fostex PD-4 TC DAT.

Questions

1- Is two weeks time enough to get familiar and learn the do and don’ts?

2- I owe a small audio package,(2x411 lectro,2x sennh G2, 416 and 816 mics, an X5 wendt mixer). Do I need to rent anything else besides the slate and the dat recorder?

3 -Should I not take the job?

Thanks.

Ferdi

ps. my frist documentary went great, and I was hired to shoot with them agaim next month thanks for your help with that.

Take the job. Two weeks is more than enough time to suss out a PD4 assuming that you can get your hands on one for at least a few days during that time. Find out how many actors and then have enough wireless systems to accomodate them, plus one spare. Have enough lavalier mics, (Sankens work best for me) for as many actors as you have in your biggest scene (ie the largest number of speaking parts in any given scene) and have spares. Have lots of DAT tape, 9v and AA batteries, batteries for the PD4 if you have car interiors or run and gun stuff, plenty of sound reports, a mixing board with as many inputs as the largest number of actors in one scene plus one for boom. Employ a good boom man who may be able to pick up some of the slack in your experience. Your results will only be as good as your boom guy, trust me on that.

I'll leave the rest for some other posts which I'm sure will be forthcoming and the very best of luck with your shoot. On the job training is worth more than any other type of schooling IMO.

Regards

Mick

Oh, and if there's is more than one camera then get more than one slate. Learn how to jam it to the PD4 every three hours or so. Sync will be your best friend or worst enemy when it goes to post.

M

Ferdi,

The PD 4 is a fairly simple machine. It will not take you more than a few hrs to get used to its lay out. The top and the front pannels are the ones that you will work with most memorise them. Wilh the PD 4 Only use the Maxell DATs no longer than 90min, breathe the tape when you put it in innitially. (FF $ RW) Learn your  menus.

There are several settings that require the manual to be handy. Look out for the alarm setting; any time you plug in or out a cable or anytime you peak, or if your battery or tape is low an annoying beep will be audiable in the cans (not to tape) Its very uncomfortable to sit through a day of it.

All you will need for cables si a L R from the mixer into the recorder although the latter has 3 XLR inputs and you feel like being creative.

As far a s slates go  I doubt that on a low bdgt film thay would pay for multiple smart slates, there is nothing wrong with asking camera dept to mark the take with a common marker (many cameras filming one slate).

The most important thing here is getting you confident with the PD 4. Its a piece of cake. You'll do fine. If youre in trouble with anything follow your signal flow and gain structure.

Good luck

Thanks guys,

I’ve just downloaded a copy of the PD 4 manual and I’ll be reading it tonight. I was thinking about just renting one this weekend to play with.

I just spoke with the director, and this is going to be a one camera shoot and he’s only re-shooting three scenes and they all only have two actors in them.

He’s going to email me the shot list and the script tonight so I’ll know more about scenes later.

Questions

1- Do you think that the Wendt X5 is good enough mixer for the job or should I rent a different one?

2- Do you all know any mixers in Los Angeles that would willing to spend a couple of hours with me, I’d be willing to pay for their time.

3- Where would I find a great boom operator, any names? Let me know.

4- What else is the responsibility of the sound department on a Movie Set.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be ready if I do take the job

And not be an embarrassment to our profession.

Ferdi

Just read through the PD-4 Manual and you will do fine. If your renting the PD-4 Why not just rent a Sound Devices 702T instead? Using a hard disk recorderis always better than using a DAT. If your using the PD-4 an external mixer isn't needed you can just use the 3 channels on the PD-4 pan the 2 wireless Right and keep the boom seperate on the L channel. The PD-4 is a very easy to use machine though it has been 3 years since I have used it Good Luck you will done fine.

Ferdi,

renting a PD 4 is the right thing to do and yes  the X5 is an acceptable mixer. The boom op question is something that you will realize very quickly;

A boom operator is worth his or her weight in gold!

Finding one is hard work and you should not expect to do it right away. Its going to take time and a lot of trial and error before you find the right sound team for you. untill then i recomend craigslist or mandy.com. You can always ask a production coordinator to help you with that.

BEWARE! PA's make horrible boom ops. get someone with some experiance.