BoomPole Radio Intereference...HELP!

Hugh Holesome

I have a KTek aluminum shorty pole, 9ft for ENG use.

Lately bringing it out for second stick I have noticed this stick picking up broadcast radio!  WTF!

Identical mics, swapped cables etc and the determined culprit was the stick.

This is internally cabled so my first guess is something went amiss internally.

That said, I went externally wired wrapped on the same pole and still got interference.

Plugging the mic in and hanging it on a C stand does NOT reproduce the sound...

Detroit is RF hell and I know this, but today's location in the 'burbs was also picking it up.

Is this common or is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance

Hugh

Can you actually here the radiostations or is it just buzzes and hums?

I had a boompole act like this once when I was in line of sight to the Hancock tower in Chicago..  Never fully troubleshooted the problem though.. could have been another cable or the PSC alphamix.

I would check all your cables, including the coily in the pole with a tester of some sort.  I would probably pull apart the connectors and look for a short or incorrect wiring as well.

good luck!

-d

I had this happen with the exact same pole.  The rf was loud enough to tell which AM station it was.  I was using a short jumper from my mixer to a phantom power supply and part of the issue was there.  The rf didn't totally go away till I switched out my mic.

Went from a Gefell M-210 hyper to a Schoeps CMIT 5U. 

Maybe the pole itself is acting as giant antennae for some reason.

Bernie

My guess is that it is an AM radio station.  And yes, the metal pole and mic cable are making a perfect antenna and tuning coil for a long wave rf signal (870 kHz compared to 88 mHz).  Also, MANY mics have severe rf sensitivity to AM signals making them little detectors.  All you need to make an AM radio is an antenna (your boom and cable), a detector (a 10 cent geranium diode or a $2000 mic) and a ground (your mixer or recorder).  One simple solution (short of changing the mic or pole) is to wire the shield to the case of the female xlr connector.  Two Tiny capacitors, .01uf, wired from pin two to the ground lug and pin one to the ground lug should also go a long way towards preventing rfi.  Keep the capacitor leads as short as possible.

Billy