New to 833 and a couple of questions

jwill

I have used Sound Devices 633 since it was introduced and recently went to the 833.

Pretty intuitive ...however I have had some minor issues with HP levels.

Firstly.... on the return side , snaked the camera Sony FX9 which I was tethered to a day earlier with my 633, tone went right to -20, did the left identifier and listened it sounded low.

Asked camera op to give me a little more output volume the FX9 and he jacked it to max, still on low side.

so I had our talent under my mic and return was low but the hp presets all sounded too much for my ears, perfect levels so I adjusted gain on HP presets to -4 and all was good, going to return it was even lower, went to +2 and return ok, hp presets were now hurtful as they had gone to +2? Am I missing something, talked to SD in Reedsburg and they were very helpful with other items, not so much on this. Suggestion was that the different equipment need to be adjusted to on th 833 side? Any ideas or help?

9 minutes ago, jwill said:

I have used Sound Devices 633 since it was introduced and recently went to the 833.

Pretty intuitive ...however I have had some minor issues with HP levels.

Firstly.... on the return side , snaked the camera Sony FX9 which I was tethered to a day earlier with my 633, tone went right to -20, did the left identifier and listened it sounded low.

Asked camera op to give me a little more output volume the FX9 and he jacked it to max, still on low side.

so I had our talent under my mic and return was low but the hp presets all sounded too much for my ears, perfect levels so I adjusted gain on HP presets to -4 and all was good, going to return it was even lower, went to +2 and return ok, hp presets were now hurtful as they had gone to +2? Am I missing something, talked to SD in Reedsburg and they were very helpful with other items, not so much on this. Suggestion was that the different equipment need to be adjusted to on th 833 side? Any ideas or help?

Slate/Comms/Returns menu --> Return Level.

The 833 is the only one in the 8series lineup that you HAVE to adjust the return level from the menu... AND there is no real return meter. t's super annoying.

38 minutes ago, Matt Radlauer said:

The 833 is the only one in the 8series lineup that you HAVE to adjust the return level from the menu... AND there is no real return meter. t's super annoying.

Interesting to know. Thank you for sharing! 🙏

20 hours ago, Matt Radlauer said:

Indeed.

RTN lvl is about +20dB in my workflow.

+1 for Johnny Karlsson:

I don't need channels 7 and 8 most of the time so I have routed RTN to 7/8. So I can see the levels in the LR+8ch horizontal view at least (in grey cause they are not armed of course). So I can adjust the camera output by setting the levels equal to the mix.