So many carts, so little time...

Jeff Wexler

While looking through the multitude of carts (up to about 80 different carts) in the Gallery of Sound Carts, I was struck again by how minimal my cart has always been. I'm wondering if maybe I don't have enough equipment?? When visiting other sets, like yesterday when I visited Don and Max working with Shawn Holden, I always take a very careful look at the sound cart. Shawn's cart is a Magliner-Backstage horizontal type with tons of stuff on it. What does she have that I don't have (besides her good looks)?

Here is the layout of my cart:

Top Shelf

Zaxcom Quad box - 4 receivers and RF Multicoupler

Comtek BST-25 Base Station

Custom audio monitor amp (3 watts) to listen without headphones

Cambridge Soundworks CUBE speaker

Ikan 7" Video Monitor

Zaxcom IFB-100

DC Voltage display meter

4 DC connection points - 4-pin XLRF, 2 are switched

integrated LED lighting

2nd Shelf

Deva 5.8

Timecode distribution box

backside of cart patchbay

3rd Shelf - sliding

Cooper 208 mixing panel

4th level - 3 RU aluminum drawer

5th level - bottom of cart

catch-all storage bin

Cart Power Supply 3 RU (30 amp/hour capacity, AC to DC regulated power supply)

Left Side of Cart

cables, antenna mast

Right Side of Cart

fishpole holder (1), 2nd antenna mast (or umbrella), AC connection point, 4 outlets with breaker

Back of Cart

3 RU aluminum drawer, back of patchbay (connection of 2 duplex cable, 2 plant mics, auxiliary outs, etc.), integrated LED lighting

Seems to me like you have it all, Jeff, with one glaring exception...the dreaded back-up recorder.  Most people will also have a second monitor, which you might discover needing when the 'B'-cam on the 12-1 steals a close-up or switches to a completely different shot during a "re-set" and both you and your boom operator fail to notice until it's too late.

Robert

Seems to me like you have it all, Jeff, with one glaring exception...the dreaded back-up recorder.  Most people will also have a second monitor, which you might discover needing when the 'B'-cam on the 12-1 steals a close-up or switches to a completely different shot during a "re-set" and both you and your boom operator fail to notice until it's too late.

Robert

You're right about only one monitor, although it does have 2 inputs for A & B camera, and there is a single button to switch between the two. Not a big help if I'm looking at "A" camera and "B" is freelancing.

The backup recorder? This has been discussed to death so I'll just say again that I don't need one on the jobs I'm on and I am pleased that I don't have to run two machines anymore.

Jeff Could you explain to a non-cart person what are the plant mics on the back of the cart ?

Would sure like to see some pics, I usally just work out of a bag, nothing like you folks do.

Thanks

Tom

Sorry, I wasn't really clear on that. The patchbay on the cart really just brings the connectors on the Cooper mixer up to an accessible place so you don't have to fiddle around connecting things right to the back of the mixing panel. I didn't bring all the possible connections up to the patchbay, just the ones we use all the time. Those connections would be for the 1st boom operator's duplex cable (I generally do not use wireless boom so the duplex cable is used to give me the microphone on the fishpole (boom) and to give the boom op their monitor signal. Then there is a 2nd connection for the 2nd boom operator's duplex cable when 2 booms are needed for the shot. The other connections, and this was your question, are for mics that we would "plant" on the set --- mics that are not operated and are not on the actors. The last of the connections on the patchbay are for AUX outs from the mixer --- these are usually used to feed a playback system or the ENG/Behind the Scenes video crew, etc. The wireless receivers are connected directly to the Cooper mixer, not through the patchbay, because these are almost never changed --- they always stay connected to inputs 1 through 4.

I didn't want to drag up the back-up recorder issue either.  Just pointing out that most folks are running a second machine on their carts.  My next generation cart, which I hope to sort out in the near future, will have just one machine with the other built for bag/car situations.

I also used to have a single monitor on an A/B switch, until getting VERY burned on what was a big job for me, but quite early on as a mixer.  A simple two wide-camera set-up (front angle/side angle).  It was about half way through take two that the 'B' operator decided he had the wide, and tightened up.  Unfortunately, I only discovered this after switching over to check 'B' near the end of take three.  Fortunately, he stayed on the medium shot for 2 more takes as the 'A' camera also tightened up, before then both going into close-ups.  Didn't want to risk getting lucky again, and have since had two monitors.

Robert

I also used to have a single monitor on an A/B switch, until getting VERY burned on what was a big job for me, but quite early on as a mixer.

Robert

I hear you, Robert. I'm sure I would be using two monitors always if I had gotten burned...  I haven't, yet, so I'll stick with the A - B single monitor.

-  Jeff Wexler

Simple+small+light=GOOD.  Some shows need all that extra stuff, esp the digital console (big), more wireless, etc etc, but if you don't then small is very beautiful.  I just did a job in which Conrad Slater (in his DIT/video tech mode) and I were interfacing with a PA rig at an event.  Their small PA console etc was setup on a folding table, we rolled in our small carts.  And then at wrap we rolled them out of there again, fast and neat while the PA guys packed up their console: they were appreciative of all the work that had gone into making the carts small and fast.

Philip Perkins

More detailed images of SoundCart No. 7.

Cable hooks shown closed and open

Back of patchbay (inside side) showing XLR patch cables, Front of patchbay (crew access) showing connection points and construction of the patchbay itself

Deva 5.8 and IFB-100

post-1-130815086939_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815086943_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815086947_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815086952_thumb.jpg

Jeff, your cart sounds just right to me!!  btw, after ten years my cart is getting pretty ratty (I can screw and unscrew most of the wood screws by hand ;-)  So I'm having a new one built.  I'm getting bigger and so is my cart.  It's going to be 1" taller. Unlike me, it's width will stay the same (it wears 19" pants).

My most exciting addition, it's going to have receivers for the big balloon/desert wheels, so when in rough terrain I just snap on the big boys.  I won't have to remove the 'street' wheels.  I'll post pics when all is said and done.

Best,

Billy Sarokin

Robert

...sounds like someone was working in PDX recently... maybe on a show for TNT? ... yeah, wides and tights, last minute lighting changes, add a camera into the one spot a boom op could have stood... sounds so familiar ; )

~tt

...sounds like someone was working in PDX recently... maybe on a show for TNT? ... yeah, wides and tights, last minute lighting changes, add a camera into the one spot a boom op could have stood... sounds so familiar ; )

~tt

I keep hearing rumors about that show...Seems they burn through people quicklike.

They had a couple grip trucks parked outside my father's office building for a few days...'Hurry-up-and-wait' logistics, he said.

I'm moving to Portland in the next couple months to be with family...I don't know whether to run towards or away from the show, if they are still in Portland next season.