Boomers

Guest Mick

I haven't seen much on this site about boom guys who IMO are the life blood of our (mixers) success. I've worked with many good boom operators and learned much about how to do my job better from them. I've seen and helped a couple of boomers become mixers and been gratified by their success. They really are the unsung heroes of the sound business and I include untility guys too who are more often than not second boom operators, especially here in TV land. It sometimes irks me to hear mixers accept Emmys and CAS awards and thank their mom, dad, assorted mentors and their pets but neglect to mention the indispensable role that the boom operator played in the project that won them the award. Of course not all guys are remiss in their appreciation of their support team, but I'm making a point of thanking them in this forum for the contribution they make to the mixer's success.

I like to work in the extreme periphery of the set and so consequently my guys are always on the front lines dealing with actors, directors and petulant script ladies whose comteks won't work, (plug the headsets in, change the battery) so I can mix tracks, do my crosswords and read my books with minimal interuption. These guys are the unsung heroes of our trade and I salute them for the hard work and knowledge they bring to the craft. I haven't got to the point yet when they have to check on me to see if I'm awake but...

Thanks to you all, past present and future boom operators.

Regards

Mick

Hey Mick and all, greetings... The Best way to become a good mixer is to work with a great boom op, and if luck is in your corner, a good third. I worked in all three job classifications, and had the great fortune to work with some of the best sound crews of my era, and maybe a few "not so much", but I feel safe saying that the boom op is the key link in the chain.  Personally I loved the zen craft of booming, when it was good, it was beter than good, even to this day I still want to do it.  When it was bad, well,  how many words are there for shit?  Same as when your the mixer or the 3rd man. The safety net is always the soundcrew / team. Never forget that you are only as good as your team. Max. Respect to all...

Old School

Hello Mick and Old School,

great reading your take on Boom Ops,

actually i us the word 1st and 2nd assts , makes them feel equal to the 1st AC and 2nd AC(maybe),rather than the word Boom which crop every where,i hate referring them by that(personal pref)

my way of giving respect and getting in return is to introduce my crew memebers to all concerned people who are important on the set,that set te ball rolling

then all problems of artistes, ADs , PM s are taken care of them

they are the eyes and ears and i i value and heed theiradvice when i look intoa scene

when we are short of time theysometime save the dayand my arse by quick fixing any potential problems

a word of appreciation of the utility/2nd asst, who actas eyeand ears of the 1asst and is the link between the mixer and others,someof the guys ihave worked with aregood cable man and decent boom ops and some have become regular boom ops , besides being technically sound

i strongly beleive that thesound job is as good as the weakestlink

so it is necessary for the HOD to inculate a team bonding and felloewfeeling within the crew and stand up to the assts when need be

oh, also when you get an award do mention these guys by their name and position and give them their15 secs of fame , which they richly deserve

my writing this a way of showing my appreciation for the excellent support these guys have always provided me over my years of working,

hope to hear others take on this matter

i am leaving out the rotten apples which some times crop up in the basket

regards

Harry

Let me try to say it in as few words as I can.

I have to get along with my boom op, in a trust, best friend way, they are an extension of my professionalism and my sense of humor. Our job as mixers is gear, troubleshooting, and accountability. Without a great boom op we could never get good sound.

Hats off and props to all the boom ops that " Get It"

LL

speaking as a boomie,

I appreciate my mixer/s doing all the things that I don't want to do - the politics, the schmoozing, having to mix all those wires i've helped set-up. 

Personally I wouldn't swap with you guys for anything, It's great to be able to just relax and focus on swinging that stick during the take.

When you find a mixer who appreciates you, you stick by them.

Things seem to work best when the fine-line of "who-does-what" is fairly murky, and everyone is working as a team; However every Team needs a leader, and it's nice to go into battle with a strong one.

Cheers to all the mixers who also "get it"

Ian - boom op.

I haven't seen much on this site about boom guys who IMO are the life blood of our (mixers) success. I've worked with many good boom operators and learned much about how to do my job better from them. I've seen and helped a couple of boomers become mixers and been gratified by their success.

Of topic, but kudos to you for being "That" kind of mixer. Allowing your Boomies and Assistants to progress with their career.