New work Paradigm?

Richard Ragon

This is a work Paradigm question.

I've got a SD888 in which Ive been using for my "run and gun", interview, or reality/news gig jobs.

But I've been using the SD888 with logging on it with my phone. Settings folders, file names, takes, and notes.  At some point I thought to myself.  I think I can just boom this, strap my iphone onto my boom pole and remotely operate my entire SD888 from a chair off set.  Do I even need my bag while holding the boom?   I mean, if I got the levels dialed in and set... I could in theory just sit here with my boom and iphone standing here.

Just wondering anyone's take on a workflow using several iphones strapped to my boom op.   Maybe Im just a boom op now, with remote control??

Seams like the future, with one person gigs, right?

I'm definitely intrigued by integrating a UI that can be operated with one finger on a boom pole.  It's not there yet IMO; I frequently adjust faders in a run&gun bag situation.  Maybe less so for an interview in a controlled environment, but I wouldn't be comfortable not being able to pull a fader down if I needed to.  I also still prefer a cabled boom, which means mobile situations are out.

So ... I'm interested, and maybe in time we'll get there (a boom pole with an integrated recorder?), but for now I'm not about to leave the recorder behind.

I guess it would all be in how and where you mounted the phone, and how much active mixing you need to do.  I'd find it hard to be constantly refocusing my eyes from the talent out under the boom to a phone pretty close up.   I think I might miss the tactile feel of the knobs, which I can be adjusting without looking at them, 2 or maybe even 3 at once...

Like everyone I guess, I use an iPad to control metadata, levels, etc....

But as Philip said, when it comes to mixing, I couldn't imagine switching completely to a virtual interface, especially if I have multiple sources, a boom and several lavs, even with Dungan engaged.

I am quite sure the system is less responsive than physical faders. And if I need to look at the screen to find where to place my fingers, I'll certainly be less focused on the action and could put my boom in the frame.

Years ahead, Sound devices had the CL-2, Sonosax the SX-BD1 and Filmtech also their model, all discontinued. Never tried it but maybe it was a false good idea ?

Sure, but you'll be a slower moving machine. 
If your work is 95% sit down interviews or two person stuff in a small room then sure. 
But as soon as you get over three people on camera and a bit roomier, things get complicated fast. Ignoring levels, I mean we've had NeverClip and recording TXs for years (decades?), and 32 bit will probably be the default within 5 years on all major recorders, so you won't even have to worry about levels anymore really. If you wanted to you could just do it all in post. 

BUT

It's all those other things like an actor suddenly wanting the TX somewhere else cus the cable is pulling, or the batteries need to be swapped on the scriptys comtek or whatever. Those things tend to pile up. 

So it's possible, but you'd be slower. And THAT is what's going to save us from being a one man band. I think..

^ Agree with this wholeheartedly in all respects. With the inverse being 'death by a thousand little cuts' it's the dynamic tasks that builds up and evolves during a day's take with multiple talents and multiple camera shots. I'm sure most of us at some point have adjusted via BT but at the same time realizing it's not sustainable as a stand alone system. Maybe if it develops in functionality and effectiveness as things get smaller with less latency, but I don't see that happening before I retire.

On the other hand, many colleagues working on the theatre / live field use their iPads to adjust the mix in different places in the venue or to control the monitors next to the musicians on stage. 

And this seems a viable solution for them... so maybe in a few years we'll see new ways of mixing too, for example in very tight spaces like cars.  

PSC used to have a remote boom mounted fader, as well, for their portable mixers.

I recall using it to great effect in doc situations back before mixer/recorders. 

I always wondered why more mixer manufacturers didn't have similar accessories.

I guess that you either loved or hated the concept.

I loved it, as most of my work is single person, verité style.

With my 633 package in heavy K-Tek bag I also thought about doing stuff like this for documentary/reality/corporate productions.. put the bag somewhere and listen with IFB. Since I have the Zaxcom Nova2 now it is so light and I would not think again of decoupling myself from the recorder for documentary/reality type productions (and corporate when not working off a cart). It is great to have all the control of the recorder and wireless right at your body. My Nova2 package is just so ultralight and not straining on my body in any way!

On the flipside, Zaxcom doesn't have a way to wirelessly control the recorder anyway like Sound Devices or Sonosax do it!

Offcourse when shooting commercial or narrative the Nova2 goes onto the cart. 

23 hours ago, henrimic said:

On the other hand, many colleagues working on the theatre / live field use their iPads to adjust the mix in different places in the venue or to control the monitors next to the musicians on stage. 

And this seems a viable solution for them... so maybe in a few years we'll see new ways of mixing too, for example in very tight spaces like cars.  

e

This has already taken hold in a lot of mid to smaller music venues where there generally was a FOH cage for the PAs. Now that is gone, and the FOH sound reinforcement is now done from the monitor board, side stage. The engineer/A1 generally walks out to the middle of the floor and adjusts, then goes back to tend to the stage sound. So in that ecosystem, yes it does work to reduce the 'footprint'.