Pro tools HD 8 with Hardware emulator - editing with macbook in your garden...

Daniel Bohm

"  I seem to remember it being PC only "

Windows ME

historically, Digi (aka PT), Avid (now includes PT!), and others were providers of hardware based solutions, and furnished software to utilize their hardware, like the PT card farms!  Now the  computers' CPU's have so much horsepower, including multi-thread processing, that the business model has changed to software driven, and some of these companies are having a hard time letting go of the concept of 'selling iron'.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Hungarian topic.

I did supervise a Hungarian film a few years ago...

The producer was upset when he got my quote.

- 8 weeks of editing!! you Swedish guys are fu**ing with me!!

Normally we have 14 to 16 weeks of editing not very much i think...

But the line producer told me to make the lowest possible quote.

We did the film a 6 reel film in 6 weeks and 3 days of mixing

So from a Swedish point of view Hungary is very very far behind when it comes to Post.

Not to talk about location sound...

The film won many awards and the reception was great...

Wow it sounds like a real film some guy said... not to wonder if they only have 2-3 weeks for one person to do a feature.

So I don't think U can even start to compare LA and Hungary in that way but the love for film grows strong in both places!

A nyomozó

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092021/

//Christian

True... Sweden is a larger economy than Hungary.

But we are talking film industry.. Our language is the main factor (paying audience size)

Both countries about the same size (9 million) people speak Hungarian and Swedish

How about English? 280 million in US and the rest of the world? Hmm... :)

We are the size of new jersey no comparison otherwise :)

//Christian

This is an extremely subjective comment, both in terms of how much work is union and what benefits there are to union work.  On both of those points, it depends on geography as well as what type of jobs you do.  In Los Angeles, the vast majority of jobs are union.... and the fact that a job is union is, in fact, a guarantee that things will not drop below certain standards.  Some non-union jobs meet or exceed those standards and some don't.

Laurence

Subjective?  The vast majority of jobs in LA are union?  I don't think so.  Not even the majority of work done for TV is union, I would say that there is a very large percentage of non union feature work (in LA and elsewhere) and for everything else, which is most of the film/video audio work out there, it is hardly unionized at all, anywhere.  I'm glad the vast majority of jobs YOU do are union, but that is very far from the norm in the USA anymore.

Philip Perkins

Ok union or non-union people...

But here is JWSOUND.NET:)

It's amazing that here's a forum, where we can discuss everything. 

Thank you Jeff!

Life is changing, but here I can see only good people.:)

It seem's we're all in the same...

Keep together!

Daniel Böhm

" I fully expected the new Pro Tools HD at NAB to no longer require Digi hardware, "

do you also fully expect Meta-Corder to no longer require their hardware dongle, too ??

I think his point is more about the fact that you have to use the Protools Audio interface hardware to use Protools.  To those people who are extremely concerned about the quality of the their audio interface for their DAW a Protools interface maybe doesn't really live up to par.  There are definitely better choices out there, but their interfaces are not the worst by any means either. 

What Avid should do is require just a dongle for use of their programs and give the option of of using any interface you choose.  This is what Gallery allows you to do with Metacorder.  You use the dongle only for proof of license, not for an audio interface.  If avid would do this they would essentially have to make a better interface that meets better standards as they would then have competition.  What they don't realize is that they could gain more users and make more money if they put more effort in making a better interface.  The companies that put their best foot forward tend to win in the end.  Logic is a great program and is getting better all the time.  Sonar is making alot of headway in the PC world (probably one of the reasons why Protools was redesigned to work on PC a few years back).  Avid will eventually hit a wall and then finally start to listen to its users.  If it waits that long it'll be too late and there will be a large list of choices for people to use( more than there is now) for music production and audio post.

J. Hemmerlin

This was how I learned to use ProTools a number of years ago.  I seem to remember it being PC only, oddly enough.

It had to be an extremely well built PC that had a very specific hardware compatibility list.  It seemed that anyone that had a PC that would work could have just bought a Mac notebook and PTLE for the same amount of money.

It had to be an extremely well built PC that had a very specific hardware compatibility list.  It seemed that anyone that had a PC that would work could have just bought a Mac notebook and PTLE for the same amount of money.

I subsequently bought a G4/800 (2001?) and bought an Mbox to further explore PT.  I attempted to "fix" the production sound on a friend's short film and add some sound design.  It's when I realized I had NO career in post.

" I fully expected the new Pro Tools HD at NAB to no longer require Digi hardware, "

do you also fully expect Meta-Corder to no longer require their hardware dongle, too ??

No, but that's a very limited market where they sell maybe 100 copies a year. Pro Tools sells in the hundreds of thousands of copies a year, plus there's about 19 competing programs that don't require specialized hardware (but are copy-protected in some way).

I don't mind the copy-protection on Pro Tools, but forcing everybody to use Digi hardware is kind of stupid at this point. You should see the screaming about this over on the Digi User Conference...

--Marc W.

As said before... it's strange that they don't fix the audio handling...

But cleverly it sounds good enough that most users don't complain.

and:

Try this little experiment:

In PT make a stereo track.. Ad a tone generator on the st track... now look at the outgoing stereo signal from the digi hardware with a goniometer osciloscope (hardware not plugin) sweep thru the frequencies from 30hz to 20kHz... :)  what U will discover is horrible..

//Christian

There's been a lot of discussion about the price of PT and if Digi is gouging their customers. Recently, I build a 002 LE system in my apartment, and I have to admit I didn't like having to purchase a lot of the plug-ins and a dongle separately. All in all, Digi got about four grand of my money (would have been five without education discount). Had it been an HD sytem, it would have easily been $10,000 more. Expensive? No question. But let's rewind the clock a bit.

Correct me if I get something wrong, but didn't we used to have to do post-sound mixes with giant tape machines? How much did those things cost? I'm guessing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Digi has made it possible for me to do a complete post sound mix in my apartment, and four grand seems like a fair price to me. Again, that's just my opinion.

Now is what they're doing with the hardware a monopoly? Possibly. But it's no different than what Apple or countless other manufacturers do (like when there's a socket that fits a cord that only THEY make). It's a pain in the ass and a strain on the wallet, but it's just the way it is.

But to the larger issue: please don't pirate. What you do makes a difference. In these times when no one seems to be playing by the rules, it is more important than ever to lead by example. If you've done it before, get off the wrong path and back on the right one. Besides, legitimate copies come with tech support, warranty, updates, and are free of malicious spyware. Whatever you save from a cracked version isn't going to be worth it when it fries your computer.

I welcome your feedback.

I just received a survey from AVID:

We want your personal opinion

We're planning a few things in the near future,   and we'd like to know what you think. By taking a short online survey, you can   help influence our marketing plans going forward "

I'd give you the link, but I checked and it is personalized, anyone going to it only gets to change my responses...

so what did they ask?? you ask...

they did not ask what I thought of their new logo, but they asked my age, and to rate 5 potential slogans for a new advertising campaign; they didn't even say what they were going to advertise with the slogans, just my ranking of the 5 phrases they showed..  (my personal opinion!)

talk about style over substance!!

there was no other questions, and no place to fill in any comments about anything!  

OK, don't need to contact them!

Digi is cRaZy to stick with their current hardware approach for PTHD. They'd sell 10,000 more legit copies, easy, if they'd unshackle the software from their proprietary interfaces and cards.

BTW, the same company (Avid/Digidesign) has made a number of changes with Avid 5.0 Media Composer's audio editing functions. lots of different modes are almost identical to those of Pro Tools. The editing audience I was with ooohed and aaaahed at all of them, and I was perplexed, thinking, "but these have all been standard features in Pro Tools for years!" They even have RTAS plug-ins now, which is pretty amazing for a video editor.

At least they're working hard to make Avid work more like Pro Tools and vice-versa. Oh, and they now have a version that doesn't require proprietary Avid hardware, plus the student version is only $300. They're bending over backwards to try to compete with Final Cut Pro, and I think that's a good thing.

--Marc W.

Digi is cRaZy to stick with their current hardware approach for PTHD. They'd sell 10,000 more legit copies, easy, if they'd unshackle the software from their proprietary interfaces and cards.

BTW, the same company (Avid/Digidesign) has made a number of changes with Avid 5.0 Media Composer's audio editing functions. lots of different modes are almost identical to those of Pro Tools. The editing audience I was with ooohed and aaaahed at all of them, and I was perplexed, thinking, "but these have all been standard features in Pro Tools for years!" They even have RTAS plug-ins now, which is pretty amazing for a video editor.

At least they're working hard to make Avid work more like Pro Tools and vice-versa. Oh, and they now have a version that doesn't require proprietary Avid hardware, plus the student version is only $300. They're bending over backwards to try to compete with Final Cut Pro, and I think that's a good thing.

--Marc W.

They have an interesting marketing problem.  They sell both video editing and audio apps as separate things.  It took them a long time to add RTAS to Avid, which will definitely cut into the work of audio post people using PT.  Apple has basically blown off the idea of a separate audio app completely--FCP always had plug ins, and Logic is really more about music and sound design, so Apple can more easily stay out of its own way. 

Philip Perkins

They have an interesting marketing problem.  They sell both video editing and audio apps as separate things.  It took them a long time to add RTAS to Avid, which will definitely cut into the work of audio post people using PT.  Apple has basically blown off the idea of a separate audio app completely--FCP always had plug ins, and Logic is really more about music and sound design, so Apple can more easily stay out of its own way. 

Philip Perkins

Think about where Soundtrack Pro fits in. I really don't know anyone that uses it but supposedly it has the tightest integration with FinalCut Pro.

Think about where Soundtrack Pro fits in. I really don't know anyone that uses it but supposedly it has the tightest integration with FinalCut Pro.

It's a pain in the ass--and most editors I know working on shows where they have to deal w/ the audio too don't want to take the time/hassle to use STP--they just do what they do in FCP.  Apple could make STP a much more useful app if they wanted to, but it doesn't seem to be any kind of priority for them.

Philip Perkins

I agree with Phil. And Digi (now Avid) has bent over backwards to add a lot more features to make Pro Tools more compatible with Final Cut Pro, and to keep feature editors happy.

The best thing I can say about Soundtrack Pro is that a) they give it away free with Final Cut, and B) it doesn't require any proprietary hardware like Pro Tools HD. But I don't know of anybody who uses it. Even some ultra-cheap films I've worked on have all used Pro Tools. (Maybe pirated copies, for all I know, but it was definitely Pro Tools.)

--Marc W.

Best and easiest feature Avid could do to win some hearts ..... is add bins or the ability to make folders in the Region area in ProTools....

instead of all files lumped together.

Man, the ProTools folks have been asking for this since Digi killed AudioVision.  You'd think the company would get the message...

Philip Perkins

Best and easiest feature Avid could do to win some hearts ..... is add bins or the ability to make folders in the Region area in ProTools....

instead of all files lumped together.

Could you explain why this would be a useful feature? Thanks!

Could you explain why this would be a useful feature? Thanks!

Separate SFX by type and from everything else, bins for various versions of the score as first the temps then the sketches and later various versions of the finals come in; picture editorial dialog vs. conformed dialog vs. rendered fixes (like NR etc); foley, ADR.....

Philip Perkins