Pro tools HD 8 with Hardware emulator - editing with macbook in your garden...

Daniel Bohm

I've been using Pro Tools since the very beginning of Pro tools, but for a little while I worked at a studio that had an Ensoniq Paris system.

It had "Jail Cells" on top of the timeline. you could insert anything (bunches of regions, or just one region) you wanted into one of the 8 "Cells", and have it ready for pulling into your timeline at any time. It was one of the best features of the thing (that and it had a 56bit mix buss that sounded so much better that PT did at the time in 1998).

I would give my left nut for Pro Tools to incorporate that (very simple) idea. This way if you have a SFX mashup you like that is say 3 or 4 tracks, you can pull it into your timeline from the cell without hunting for it.

......sigh......

BTW, Sound Miner really is a huge help in regards to SFX. Well worth the money.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Region Groups.

I use region groups, but I still don't find it as quick as the jail cells. Something about them being right on top of the timeline, and separated from the regions made them much quicker.

The closest I can come is to have only region groups selected as viewable in the region bin, but I find that's a bit of a pain as well.

@christian: What do you like about basehead that Sound Miner doesn't do?

• 2 weeks later...

<<it had a 56bit mix buss that sounded so much better that PT did at the time >>

Actualsize (i'll call you john doe),

I wanted to know if you think PT sounds better now? Up to specs?

-vin

My name is Mike, but you can still call me John Doe ;)

Pro Tools does sound much, much better than it did in the 1990's. It has a true 48bit mix buss now that is just fine for TV and Film. Sometimes when I do certain music projects where I want the signals to mix a bit different I will use an outboard summing box (I have a Manley 16x2 tube mixer), but I only do that for color. Pro Tools sounds great in the box.

The systems I was talking about were the old Pro tools mix (non-HD) systems that were around in the 1990's. They had an awful sounding mix buss for a number of reasons that have been hashed out ad nauseam over the the DUC. Not too many of those systems around anymore I don't think.