Copying DVD to laptop or CF card? MacBook 10.4

Does anyone know of an inexpensive and downloadable program I can use to copy a few DVDs to my laptop or CF cards?  We are traveling, and I'd like my kids to be able to watch movies on the laptop with less battery drain than the internal DVD drive. I would love to use my CF cards and a reader, if that would be better.

I tried Mac The Ripper, but it created several files, which was confusing. I want a single mp4 or similar file which contains just the movie. Click and play for the kids.

By the way, I own the real DVDs, which I bought retail, and I do not intend to share the files. No questionable activity here. Thanks.

Robert

I tried Mac The Ripper, but it created several files, which was confusing. I want a single mp4 or similar file which contains just the movie. Click and play for the kids.

Robert, you can always just let Mac the Ripper (or AnyDVD for Windows) copy the DVD files to one folder, then drop the folder onto Mac's built-in DVD Player application. It will then run exactly like a DVD, complete with menus and all that stuff.

Hit command-F to go into "Full screen mode," where the entire Mac screen plays back the video. Works great. I use this all the time to watch stuff I've ripped to hard drive (uh, legally).

--Marc W.

Robert, you can always just let Mac the Ripper (or AnyDVD for Windows) copy the DVD files to one folder, then drop the folder onto Mac's built-in DVD Player application. It will then run exactly like a DVD, complete with menus and all that stuff.

Hit command-F to go into "Full screen mode," where the entire Mac screen plays back the video. Works great. I use this all the time to watch stuff I've ripped to hard drive (uh, legally).

--Marc W.

Good idea, Marc.  Didn't really know it'd work that way, although I had heard something like that before.  I'm really just shocked how computer illiterate I have become over the years.  I learned basic programming in elementary school around 1980, and kept up somewhat with all the new advances until about 8 years ago.  Then it all just passed me by.  Now I have you guys to help.  Thanks!

Robert