Eneloop Pro NiMH battery life in SMDWB

Jones

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday I ran a Lectro SMDWB with (2) new Eneloop Pro AA batteries (2500mAh black). Tx power was set to 100mW. Here are the results:

02:12 = 1.29V

03:04 = 1.28V

03:48 = 1.28V

05:17 = 1.27V

06:03 = 1.24V

06:31 = 1.22V

07:04 = 1.20V

07:39 = 1.15V

08:10 = lost power

I was transmitting to an SRC and used the AA timer for the above times.  Needless to say, I was impressed because my PowerEx Pro MiMH (which are 2700mAh) have been providing around 6hrs in the SMDWB. Going forward I plan to have my Rx's set to AA timer and expect 7.5hrs out of fully charged Eneloop Pro batts. I also hope to do this test soon on SMQV and SMWB Tx's (at 100mW) - and will post results here.

Looking forward to your comments/suggestions!

Best,

Mj

@codyman - Yes indeed you're totally right about that! But for peace of mind I wanted to know how these batts (Eneloop Pro 2500) would hold up. With that in mind, I repeated the above test but with a mic on a constant sound source and plugged into the Tx's. This time I also tested an SMWB.  Results attached. In a nutshell, the SMWB got to 3:32 and the SMDWB went for 7:44. Both results are better than what I was getting with the PowerEx Pro 2700's. 

I know NiMH batt life is not a new topic for JWS. Just wanted to share my tests with these Eneloops as they are new to me. Looking forward to tips re: best practices with rechargeable AA NiMH batteries in Lectro Tx's. Thx! Mj

Eneloop Pro 2500 battery life in Lectro SMDWB and SMWB.pdf

Good info. Have you ever tried Ikea's Ladda? Not sure there is true validation these are rebranded eneloops but a time study would be an indicator.

I'm looking at the SMDWB but if the single is comparable in run time, that's something to consider.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:19 PM, Jones said:

I have not tried the Ikea batts but have also heard that they are the same as the Eneloops (not confirmed).

Note as per my test, the single (SMWB) lasted 3.5hrs, while the double (SMDWB) lasted a bit over 7.5hrs.

My curiosity was aimed towards running the SMDWB on a single battery and that mean run time. Any chance you can run that test on an Eneloop?

I've tried multiple rechargeable lithium's with my SMWB's.  After about 30 minutes the battery light blinks and screen indicates low battery as well as the receiver.  The SMWB will blink for another 2 hrs.  I'm I missing a set up step?  What can I do to prevent this and give me more confidence.  What am I missing.  Batteries used EBL, PowerX, Everyready, all 2800mah.

I had the same thing happen to 2 of my SMQv. You need to add some silver paste to the thumb screw of the battery lid. That paste helps making a good electrical connection from the batteries to the unit and helps the Tx to read higher voltage, thus giving you a more accurate battery life reading (https://www.lectrosonics.com/phocadownload/silverpaste_instructions.pdf). You can get that silver paste if you call Lectro or you local reseller.

38 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I had the same thing happen to 2 of my SMQv. You need to add some silver paste to the thumb screw of the battery lid. That paste helps making a good electrical connection from the batteries to the unit and helps the Tx to read higher voltage, thus giving you a more accurate battery life reading (https://www.lectrosonics.com/phocadownload/silverpaste_instructions.pdf). You can get that silver paste if you call Lectro or you local reseller.

THIS. 

I had a few vials from Lectro but they were all dried/ and or empty so I picked up a lifetime supply on amazon…but be SURE to get this exact product (this is what Lectro uses ) as most do NOT contain actual silver. Follow the spec sheet link (above) from Lectrosonics. A little dab will do ya! I cleaned ALL of my transmitter screw threads and applied silver paste just a few weeks ago. All is well. 
I know Lectro will send you a vial or two if your call, but just figured I’d get my own lifetime supply. ($50-ish USD) 

8A0CCFD8-E1E0-43E9-A91E-D984BB298979.jpeg