2.4GHz Amp for Zax IFB100 Troubleshooting

Jan McL

There are several ways to "solve" these ground loop problems. I first had the problem with a Lectrosonics IFB transmitter (was it a T-1, I don't remember), I could never get rid of a nasty whine until I powered it from a different (not common) DC source. With the Zaxcom items, I did have some similar problems and solved them all by powering the IFB-100 and the L-Com amp from a DC power supply separate from my main cart power supply. Jan's method of going through a Hot Box (or some other distro) must introduce something that alters the path and breaks the ground loop. I have not tried this method.

I talked with Glenn about this just yesterday.  He said that a really aggressive filter on the power leading to the IFB-100 might work, but that most basic filters built into things like the CartPower unit I use, are not sufficiently filtered to avoid the issue.

The easiest, and most through method, is to power the IFB-100 separately.  Mine has its own dedicated NP-1 -- which means I don't have to worry about changing its battery -- even for a reallllllly long day.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone on the informal Zaxcom 2.4 Ghz R&D team, great work and very informative. Thanks for spreading the love.

I'm on verge of ordering an IFB200 and ERX2TCD system to handle my TC and Scratch audio needs.

Quite an expensive outlay down here at the tip of Africa where 12 of our R's gets only 1 of your mighty $'s. Exchange rate nightmare.

I'll be using ERX's on camera only and I'm usally pretty close to set.

It's 2015 and I'm curious to know if the IFB200 has better range than the IFB100 as I'm not keen to go down the amp and corner antenna route right away. The reply from a detailed mail I sent to Zaxcom was curiously unsatisfying.

Has anyone managed to streamline or refine the amp and antenna system anymore than previously stated in this post?

Any new revelations will be gratefully received.

Got quick and knowledgable reply from a direct message to Jack Norflus, thanks Jack.

Also got advice from Alan Gehardt here who's using setup based on Billy, Jan and Jeff's, thanks Alan.

But I'm still wavering. Do I just gets some lockits and continue with my G3's on cam and suffer the slings and arrows of the cam dept ? or do I take the plunge and go for the 1 unit Zaxcom solution which is so appealing on paper?

Hoping to get some more encouraging nudges before my big purchase

I doubt you'll notice much range difference between an IFB100 and an IFB200.  Of more importance is what Wandering Ear just posted about antennas.

If you're fairly close to the camera, it's not an issue anyway.  I did several months with three ERXs on cameras and me transmitting both time code and a scratch track to them with just a Nomad and a 2.4GHz whip antenna.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am looking to add a small 2.4 ghz amplifier to my zaxcom nomad bag/cart rig (when required). I'm looking for something that is small with sma connectors & won't interfere whilst close to everything else and hopefully can be powered through my BDS also. Is anyone successfully using a 500mw or 1w amp in the bag? Also is anyone using a 6v powered version with a step down from their 12v battery? I see a few of the smaller ones are 6v and the larger ones ie 2w plus are 12v

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I just got the antenna, the DC power injector, and the amplifier.This is a strange creature for me and I couldn't make until now what would be the right connections. I couldn't find the instructions at l-com's website also. Could someone help me on this matter?

From Nomad the cable goes to... and then to...

I bought this cheap chinese amp. It has easily quadrupled my range even with the long cable going to directional antenna, which is also cheap chinese stuff. If I turn the power level below 6 on the nomad, it doesn't hit the amp.. It's working great and I didn't spend a cart load of money. I can change settings on the TRXs and use the ERXs anywhere on the large set and for some short distance outside the metal insulated building they are calling a sound stage. The 39dbm amp was $45 and the antenna was under $55. It's worth bearing in mind however, the Chinese stuff adverstised specs are probably not reality and you can fry an egg on the thing. I'm having my crew wear tinfoil hats for RF safety reasons and for the respect said hats command from the other departments.

post-3772-0-86245700-1429319748_thumb.jp

post-3772-0-10940900-1429320102_thumb.jp

i tried a similar chinese made amp, got it to work on home wifi but not with zaxcom setup - no difference w signal reception with or without antenna amp. I made sure i used proper sma connectors on both ends of cable and I tried with multiple output levels, no luck. Nice to hear you found one with success! Was gonna try a cp beam but maybe go for something like this instead

-Ken

Again, just watch out for reverse polarity connectors. Usually the 'consumer' (ie, unlicensed) L-Com 2.4 gHz had reverse polarity sma connectors. The licensed versions have normal polarity connectors. It's possible to connect an rp cable to a non-rp jack. They will mate but there will be NO connection. This has been the root of many problems when interfacing this gear.

Also, keep cable length from the amp to the antenna as short as possible. Many antennas are made to have the amp mounted right on the antenna. My cable from the amp to the antenna is 6" long.

Best (and Happy Thanksgiving)

Billy

Also, while the cable from the transmitter to the amp can be fairly long, keep the

Hi,

I have the HA2401G-1000. I guess that's the consumer version with the reverse polarity issue.  I bought it direct from Zaxcom with one cable to interface Nomad and the DC injector. The other cables I've made them myself and I guess that's the issue interfacing everything. The RX and the TX indicators on the amplifier light occasionally if I jingle the cables a little bit. Sorry for my ignorance, but the solution for this reverse polarity issue would be to get only female plugs for the two other cables? They would still fit?  The one that goes from the DC injector to the amplifier and from the amplifier to the antenna (I suppose that cable sold from Zaxcom is already well suited despite the fact that it has a male conector.