Peak Pro/le

My Sound Studio program makes a horrible sounding noise when I try to use it lately, so I had to remove it untill I can find out what's wrong with it.

Kevin

What OS--it's working great here on four different Mac OS versions.....    Peak is fine, but I don't think it does a lot more for a production sound mixer than Sound Studio does and costs a lot more.....

Philip Perkins

Peak is different from Pro Tools in that you do not need to set up a project folder or copy files to import audio. You appear to work directly on the selected file. In reality it makes a temp copy of the file as you work on it and then you can save (in place of original), and no extra files are created. So it's faster and tidier to use.

Personally I also think it is far to expensive. It does have some useful features but in my opinion it is not as good as Wavelab on the PC which is a program I absolutely love and would buy tomorrow if it would be Mac compatible.  I used to Wavelab alot in the past on pc's and found it very fast to operate. Strangely it does not seem to turn up that often over here outside of music production environments. TV folks seem to favour cool edit which became Adobe Audition now.

What OS--it's working great here on four different Mac OS versions.....    Peak is fine, but I don't think it does a lot more for a production sound mixer than Sound Studio does and costs a lot more.....

Philip Perkins

Philip,  I am have OS X  10.4.11  on a Power Book G4. The trouble started when I was trying to import a song from my iTunes library.

Kevin

Kevin,

Some songs are copyright protected by iTunes, and cannot be copied into other sound programs.  I use a PC and when I try to copy and drag a song from iTunes that's protected, it usually shows a black circle with the international / through the center.

See if another song can be copied, without the issue you're having, just a thought.

Rich

Kevin,

You can also try burning the song to disc on a computer that's authorized for the song and reimporting it if the song has Apple's DRM scheme. This converts an m4p file to an aiff. Peak will see an aiff just fine.

Best regards,

Jim

I use Peak Pro on a weekly basis for editing, and I love it. I've been using it for several years as my main editing software. Even Peak LE is around $100, and it still does the basics. But Peak does a lot of things faster than Protools in my opinion. It's also a great two-track recorder since it loads up very quickly.

The problem with Peak is that it's a destructive editor (at least it was the last time I used it), plus it's kinda buggy. Pro Tools is non-destructive, at least for editing and mixing, and its rock solid. If you use certain Audio Suite processes, it does change the original file or creates a new one. Peak is definitely faster, but you'd figure that since it only does about 1/10th of what PT does.

But for some things, Peak will definitely do the job well. Still, for me, Pro Tools is like an old comfortable shoe: I know what it's gonna do, there's no surprises, and I can use it almost without thinking. PTLE does a lot of that stuff fine, but it's definitely slower than Peak (and more money in some ways).

--Marc W.

Well it's great news that Wavelab 7 will be on the mac. I also have experienced a lot of crashes with peak but it's not the latest copy so I would not like to judge.

Wavelab on the other hand has literally crashes two or three times in the 8 years that I was using various different versions starting with version 1.

It is also very fast. It does everything in a temp file and only commits the change when you save. It allows you to write individual marker and waveform files which accompany the audio files making a mess on your disc but speeding up opening of audio files. I think you can elect to have marker files incorporated into the wave header as well like soundfirge used to do. I always found wavelab to be much quicker than soundforge.