Neutrik Rean TINY XLR

Michael P Clark

They look nice, I like the push tab release over the push ball release on the Switchcraft version. Seems it's only available in 3 & 4 pin configurations so no 5 pin for Lectro hookup. I'm sure Neutrik would not want to be associated with a piece of junk so for me at least I would have no problem using them. Would like to know pricing.

Eric

I've emailed neutrik about them once and this was part of the response.  The last sentence is regarding the lack of a 5-pin version which I was clamoring for:

"

Hi Derek:

The  reason that we made this in our China facility is that we made this for  some  large microphone manufacturers who were not happy with what is available  now.  They gave us the parameters that they were looking for and a cost. Even  though this  is coming out of our China facility it is being manufactured to our  tooling and  inspected by our people in Liechtenstein. Every customer who has seen  this has  indicated that it is the best product in the market. We will be coming  out with  other versions however we had to start somewhere and what we have now is  what  over 75% of our customers had asked for.

Best Regards,Fred

Fred Besnoff    Product Applications Manager

Neutrik USA"

I'll be ordering some from markertek this week to make some direct out cables for the 552..  I'll post my results.

If you look at the assembly instructions from the rean website you can see that they use the same chuck-pincher strain relief that their full size xlr's employ. 

Hopefully it takes the margin for error out of the clamp system I hate on the Switchcraft TA's

I'll be ordering some from markertek this week to make some direct out cables for the 552..  I'll post my results.

If you look at the assembly instructions from the rean website you can see that they use the same chuck-pincher strain relief that their full size xlr's employ. 

>>>>Hopefully it takes the margin for error out of the clamp system I hate on the Switchcraft TA's<<<<

That alone is reason enough to change regardless of the price.

Eric

as stated on their site, the boots are to designed mate with their chassis connectors to make water resistant connections.

Switchcraft connectors are also available with boots.

I read that, and I looked at the picture in the manual, and it looks a whole lot like the chassis connector on the SMas.

I've never seen the switchcraft connectors with boots. Are they different from the boots Lectro sends for $5 each with the sma kit?

Weird that they would bother with a 4 pin and not yet a 5 pin. I guess I am off the hook!

"  Are they different from the boots Lectro sends  "

you would need to (read my hat) but I believe so...I don't think Lectro actually manufactures them!

"Weird that they would bother with a 4 pin and not yet a 5 pin "

they don't seem to thing so:

"  We will be coming  out with  other versions however we had to start somewhere and what we have now is  what  over 75% of our customers had asked for. "

4727943874_316979085f_b.jpg

The Rean connector works like the larger Neutriks, with the addition of a finicky thin metal shield ring between the connector body and the chuck. It comes with a small (black) and large (blue) cable chuck. The larger size will work as is for canare mini starquad (shown assembled in pic) and IIRC will work for the larger starquad if you snip half the rear points off the clutch with a pair of diagonal pliers. For either canare cable, you'll need to clip off the circle of rubber at back of the rear boot (see the assembled connector in the pic, snipped, and the unassembled rear boot, as from factory) because the hole provided will split if a larger cable is run through it.

rick

these new Rean connectors are said to handle 2.0mm to 4.5mm size cables. i have the medium star quad cable that's 4.8mm. does anyone know if i could fit that size into this connector. i don't have the connector to physically check if it would work.

i bought a TA-3 connector from Trew and it seems to only handle 2.5 mm with absolutely no play. not what i was hoping for.

P.

The picture I posted, below, shows Canare L-4E5C 4.8mm cable in the Rean tiny connector. It works fine, given you trim the rear boot end. (I'll have to check to see if we squeezed a full-size 6mm starquad into it. It might be impossible, or it might have required more surgery. Memory fails. *sigh*)

rick

Thanks for the 3-wire suggestion, Eric. It's a good point. I've been using starquad because it's what's sitting here on the reel, not because I hear a difference in the jumpers.

(And a hint to anyone soldering the Rean connectors, they're actually much easier than 5-pin lemos! Give yourself 3/4" of stripped cable, unbraid the shield and trim away half the shield wires, strip and twist together each of the pairs and the remaining shield wires tightly to minimize their size, tin the three twists, clip all three tinned leads to 1/8" and walla, only three wires to worry about.)

rick

A brief history of the TA connector (mini XLR)....

Switchcraft developed it, and owned the patent. It was priced high, but reasonably, considering the R&D invested in it. When the patent ran out, it was copied (sometimes actually improved) by the usual suspects. The Switchcraft price remained high, probably calculated to retain orders from companies that would only spec the familiar part number.

Remote Audio uses thousands of this type connector each year, primarily for lav microphones, but also for some small audio cables and small power cables, such as for the BDS power input cables. The Remote Audio version of this connector was made to Remote Audio's specs for these two primary purposes. Though much less expensive than the Switchcraft version, and a little more expensive than the Rean version, the staff at Remote Audio prefers them for fit, consistency, and ease of assembly. I'm told by the Remote Audio assemblers that the crimp-style strain relief (like the original Switchcraft style) is more affective than the Rean/Neutrik collette style, particularly for tiny lav mic wires.

It was expensive a few years ago for Remote Audio to commission a less expensive/improved TA connector, but with a few years past, the price is now being revisited to be in line with newer offerings such as those from Rean/Neutrik. It will likely still be a little more expensive than Rean (much less expensive than Switchcraft), but with advantages for what this group mostly use these connectors for (lav mics and other tiny cables).

Glen Trew

The picture I posted, below, shows Canare L-4E5C 4.8mm cable in the Rean tiny connector. It works fine, given you trim the rear boot end. (I'll have to check to see if we squeezed a full-size 6mm starquad into it. It might be impossible, or it might have required more surgery. Memory fails. *sigh*)

rick

I decided to go ahead and buy 20 of these things to try them out.

Just got here and trying to put mogami W2893 (mini quad 4.8mm)

the bugger just wont fit "as is".

Its very close but I'd have to shave a bit of the outside jacket away

to jam it in there.

The blue cable chuck is pushed outwards too much.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I decided to go ahead and buy 20 of these things to try them out.

Just got here and trying to put mogami W2893 (mini quad 4.8mm)

the bugger just wont fit "as is".

Its very close but I'd have to shave a bit of the outside jacket away

to jam it in there.

The blue cable chuck is pushed outwards too much.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Chris,

Not sure what's up. Both the Canare and Mogami are nominal 4.8mm/0.189". I got my TA3s from Markertek, and I've done a bunch of them on the Canare cable with no issues. Things to try:

• The threads on the rear boots are soft, and it's pretty easy to cross-thread them unless they're going on straight; check to make sure the boot threads are lined up.
  • The contact head, metal clip and blue clutch fit together solidly, with no gaps between the head and the clutch. It might be possible to assemble them with space between the head and clutch, which could drive the clutch backward too far.
  • Another trick to try might be clipping off the end 1-2mm off the  three points at the back of the blue clutch with a pair of diagonal  cutters, leaving enough clutch surface to still grab the cable, but I haven't had to do that.

I'm puzzled and I suspect you've tried most of these suggestions. Sorry you're frustrated after reading my note and trying them because of it.

rick

Three more associated tidbits:

1) The Remote Audio TA style connectors have gold contacts, and are available with 3, 4, and 5 pins.

2) I'm told by Neutrik that a Rean 5pin version is about a 1-1/2 years away.

3) The Remote Audio connectors will take up to 4.8mm cables. To accomodate cables of this diameter, an internal knockout bushing and the end boot must be removed (easy to do).

Glenn,

I'd be curious to know what is different about the Remote Audio TA3's from the original switchcraft part?  How can they be identified are they the all black ones?

thanks,

-d

I believe that all of the Remote Audio TA connectors now have black shells. They are very similar to the Switchcraft, and use the same type of metal crimp strain relief. Other differences I can't recall just now.

GT