Neutrik Rean TINY XLR

Michael P Clark

Noted way below on this thread the suggestion that you can use a shielded twisted pair instead of starquad and that means just one wire into each pin.  If you have a really good balanced line pair of wires, you can approach starquad performance (in terms of noise rejection) but I would suspect that a few of you don't know how starquad works. At the risk of writing a long post, anyone interested?  Anyone really care?

Hi Steve,

May I suggest that you identify yourself (either in your signature or in a custom title) as a Belden Product Line Manager so that everyone knows the source of the information you provide.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here to be pleased to have another manufacturer add to the great JWsound resource.

Welcome!

Three more associated tidbits:

3) The Remote Audio connectors will take up to 4.8mm cables. To accomodate cables of this diameter, an internal knockout bushing and the end boot must be removed (easy to do).

Glen,

i'm not a happy camper. i had no idea about this ability. i bought 2 connectors from Trew Toronto and when i found the ends too small in diameter i sent them back. even after i had a conversation with the sales guys.

i then went to Markertek and bought 2 Rean connectors. i could have avoided the shipping that cost 7 times the price of both connectors had i been told i could take apart the end and took out the bushing from the Trew connectors.

this was a waist of time and money that could have been avoided.

Peter.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I just bought some mogami cable from trew as well. Kinda having difficulty matching the tiny xlr and matching tiny cable to marry an xlr connector. Anybody got any suggestions on reinforcing it at the boot? The quad pair canare is nice stuff too. I like this kind of true quality cable.

Josh Vamos

ImagesInSound

Hey,

I just bought some mogami cable from trew as well. Kinda having difficulty matching the tiny xlr and matching tiny cable to marry an xlr connector. Anybody got any suggestions on reinforcing it at the boot? The quad pair canare is nice stuff too. I like this kind of true quality cable.

Josh Vamos

ImagesInSound

May or may not help but a 2-3" piece of shrink tubing covering the boot and part of the cable might prevent issues. Although I've never felt the need to do that on the many cable assemblys I've built with TA connectors.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I just don't like the fact that I can see inside the connector around the cable, at the boot (as the cable isn't tightly fitted). I guess you're right though, the fit comes from the solder and the clamping of the cable.

I just need to find somewhere that sells shrink cable in my area or else it's another trip out.

Thanks,

Josh

Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I just don't like the fact that I can see inside the connector around the cable, at the boot (as the cable isn't tightly fitted). I guess you're right though, the fit comes from the solder and the clamping of the cable.

I just need to find somewhere that sells shrink cable in my area or else it's another trip out.

Thanks,

Josh

Don't know where you are but Radio Shack, Home Depot, Harbor Freight all carry shrink tubing if that helps.

Eric

• 1 year later...

It's stupid big because it covers and protects the entire TA connector as well as the connector housing on the transmitter. Except for the connector, the rest of the SM series transmitters is splash proof . The boot is the only way to splash proof that remaining open connection. The boot is made for us by a specialty outfit in a vinyl dipping process. I am not aware of a similar boot from anyone else. If a larger manufacturer made a better one, we'd get out of the stupid big boot business in a second.

Cheers,

Larry F

The version with the boot, is that made for the Lectro Sm transmitters? I never used the boot Lectro supplied because I thought it was stupid big. If these are nice, I'll have to re-solder all of my mics, which might send me over the edge frankly.

Glad to see Rean is making 5-pin TA-compatible parts now too. I had requested them at least a year ago and it did not seem likely to happen at the time. I do have a few of the 3-pin versions in use for various mixer in/out cables. Mostly aux audio sends, nothing mission critical.

I like them, they assemble easier since they just screw together and there is no crimping. I'm not entirely sure the strain relief is any better in the real world than the Switchcraft crimp design. I would love to see a third party do stress testing on each and report back... (hint)

I've found that the plastic bits melt easier than the Switchcraft, and the solder cups are more fragile and do not stand up to as much heat, and bend easily. TA3's can be the same though..

(what's the deal with REAN anyway? Neutrik's Chinese cousin?)

Some REAN 5 pins have been requested and we will give them a good yank.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

[snip]

I like them, they assemble easier since they just screw together and there is no crimping. I'm not entirely sure the strain relief is any better in the real world than the Switchcraft crimp design. I would love to see a third party do stress testing on each and report back... (hint)

[snip]

• 9 months later...

I had a not terribly funny thing happen involving the REAN mini 3-pin XLR female plugged into my 744T.

The release button snapped off, making it a challenge to get the plug out of the jack. I was wondering if there have been any similar quality experiences about the REAN connectors (I had -- perhaps erroneously -- assumed that REAN, being a division of Neutrik, would have similar build quality).

I had a not terribly funny thing happen involving the REAN mini 3-pin XLR female plugged into my 744T.

The release button snapped off, making it a challenge to get the plug out of the jack. I was wondering if there have been any similar quality experiences about the REAN connectors (I had -- perhaps erroneously -- assumed that REAN, being a division of Neutrik, would have similar build quality).

FWIW: I've made dozens of Rean TA3 connecting cables for many on this group and have never had any bad feedback about them.

Eric