Dapter Two - heads up

minister

Hi all,

Just wanted to report on some experience I had with the JK Audio Dapter Two http://www.jkaudio.com/daptor2.htm

In the end, it works very well, and is passive so what you put in is what you get out.  But a word of caution for those purchasing it.  I needed to do a last minute VO at a remote location.  It is for a TV show and the EP always is patched in to direct the recording.  Talent was at a place where cell phones worked, but, no land line.  Easy solution, get a Dapter Two.

I ordered it -- and a Real Traps Portable VO Booth -- but early enough so I had some time to make sure it all worked.  Product arrived on Tuesday, I left on Friday.  Scant documentation with the unit which makes sense because it a simply passive box and hook up is obvious.  It comes with a 1/4" TRS to 2.5 MM TRS adapter cord.  Problem : doesn't fit my cellphone.  My cellphone was about 3yrs. old and I get an upgrade in my plan so off I went to the T-Mobile store.  All phones are either Blue Tooth or 3.5 MM headset input.  Ok.  Get the phone I want, and head off to Radio Shack.  Come back to the studio with a 2.5MM Female to 3.5MM Male adapter.  It doesn't work.  I double check everything.  Nothing.  I called the company.  Was told that they know of only ONE adapter that works with their box.

http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apliphonehfa2.html

Really?  I asked.  Tech support said the Radio Shack adapter is not wired correctly.  Not being of a DIY mind, and wanting to take apart the RS adapter -- which is tiny to begin with -- I ask, why don't you include adpaters with your product??  Tech support says Cellphones are a moving target.  True, but if I buy certain headsets, they come with a bag of 5-10 adapters.  Why not just throw in a few.  They would be 50 cents to you......

So, I was stuck.  Past FedEx time on Tuesday, I had to order on Wednesday a $3.95 adpater and pay 30 bucks for it to be over-nighted so I could know it all worked.  (I ordered 3 just to be safe).  I looked locally and could not find this adapter.

It is a good thing to always acquire new gear, no matter how simple, with days to spare so you can test it.  I am glad I did.

Unless someone wants to make their own cable, if you buy a Dapter Two, you will have to get this adpater to go into a 3.5MM jack for a current cellphone.  Just a heads up.