? about a Sony MXP 290

Tom Maloney

Hi all, hope this is the correct forum for the post. I have an older MXP 290, works very well.....except the CH R fader is starting to act up on me. I don't really use the aux 1 & 2 outs, so could I just swap out the faders or is there a better solution. Don't think I could get parts for this old machine. I have not pulled of the cover yet.

Thanks

Tom

Hi all, hope this is the correct forum for the post. I have an older MXP 290, works very well.....except the CH R fader is starting to act up on me. I don't really use the aux 1 & 2 outs, so could I just swap out the faders or is there a better solution. Don't think I could get parts for this old machine. I have not pulled of the cover yet.

Thanks

Tom

While you might get an answer here, I would suggest asking at R.A.P. (rec.audio.pro) a google group that covers studio sound and gear.

Eric

I used to have an MXP-29, which had developed a problem with one of the monitoring boards and at the time, made the decision to dispose of it after making a quick attempt at repair.  I got tired of assembling and disassembling the unit trying to isolate the problem and didn't really feel like spending too much time on the surface mount boards.  I believe our mixers are / were very similar.  If I remember correctly, the faders were cheap Alps units - or perhaps made in Japan in-house units, not sure now... which is fine, as I think both boards are VCA designs.  With a taper boards, I would expect the fader to contribute to degradation in operation over time and need regular service and potential replacement.  With VCA designs, sure the fader can exhibit issues and need cleaning / replacement, but I would expect an increasing probability of an electronic problem, and may not be solved with a simple fader swap.  The insides are tight and not as accessible to work on as I would have liked.  Given the value of that mixer, I personally would say take a pass, but your tech abilities (and patience) may be better than mine.

I see quite a few MXP-S390 go around on eBay, probably the same family of parts, Sony has long since discontinued service and support on these.