RODE Pin Mic

aristotle_kumpis

Yes.  The A1 on a new TV show I'm working on has had a few email contacts with Rick at Ricsonic.  Rick did indeed state that Rode would begin manufacturing of the Pin Mic next month.  Sadly, I also heard from another source that Rick has been saying this for the last 2 years.  I hope it happens though.  I would VERY much like to get my hands on a couple of the Pin Mics.

Tom

The Pin Mic is a pretty useful tool to have (I have 2, with 2 outdoor heads and 1 indoor head), and will often solve certain issues, but their sound is pretty average IMO. Not nearly as full sounding as my COS-11s. Also, I notice excessive off axis colouration when the talent moves his/her head from side to side, which I don't notice as much with my COS-11s.

Hopefully these issues are addressed if/when Rode manufactures them.

I haven't reached for the Pin Mic for some time, especially now that I've picked up the VMC clips.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Pin Mic has popped up on the B&H website - looks a bit different from how I remember the Ricsonix ones were, but it's been a while since I had a demo one.

What might be of more interest to those who occasionaly use lavs hardwired, is that Rode have gone modular with the cables and connectors for their new Lav, Pin mic and headset mic. All come with a detachable cable, with a 'proprietary' connector at each end called a "MICON", which looks a lot like a DPA microdot (though it's not compatible) and a set of connector adapters clearly influenced by the way DPA do it. While I'm not shopping for new Lavs at the moment, I was in the market for some p48 adapters for my older COS-11PTs that are terminated to the 3.5mm plug as used by Sennheiser G2/G3s. I've had some Ambient Eumels on order for a while.

Considering the Rode 'MICON-5' p48 adapter is only around $27 (current B&H price - I'm in Australia and it's a little less) I thought I'd get one and see what could be done with it. I purchased a replacement 1.5m Lead as well (around $32) for the mating connector, snipped one end and terminated it to a standard 3.5mm line socket. Plugged it into my SD302 sending 48v phantom, and it metered 4.2v for capsule power. Plugged in a COS-11PT and it works just fine. Seems a little less bright than through the G3 wireless but they always seem to me to have an HF boost. I'm looking forward to the Eumels turning up to do an A-B test. Don't see any reason this couldn't provide a cost-effective solution for wired use of any lav capable of two-wire use (DPA, Countryman, Sennheiser...) for around US$43 (the p48 adapter and half a spare micon cable). It's a similar length to a Neutrik XLR or the DPA adapter - way smaller than the p48 adapter Sennheiser sell.

Oh, for those interested in a Pin Mic or the Rode Lav for lectros, they are not offering TA5 adapters (yet). Given that Ric Creaser has sold them the Pin Mic idea, I wonder if Rode are going to come out with a 2.4Ghz camera hop next...

nick

Is this a re-branded version of the original Ricsonix pin-mic design or a re-design by Rode I was just wondering if the mic attachments that were available for the Ricsonix version would still be compatible with this one. I guess Rode will bring their own attachments in time, along with more adapter options. Looks good!

Can't someone a great deal more skilled than I pull apart the TA4 connector and replace it with a TA5?  From the photo, it looks like the female pin portion of the connector IS the Switchcraft part, so it ought to go right on there.

Not sure how this will sound, but in cases where this placement is your best option, sonic quality might take 2nd place to clean audio.

Robert

A little history here.

Electrovoice sold a Pin Mic dating back to the 70's (at least that's when I remember them).

I still have 2 of them. I need to get a battery for them and see what they sound like.

Here's the EV spec sheet on the CO85A: http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Microphones/EDS/CO85A%20EDS.pdf

Bob, you are again my hero. Love the pictures and the memory! I remember the EV setup, used it once (never owned one).

-  Jeff Wexler

• 4 months later...