Loading a cart into a car

What happens with all the stuff in the drawers when you lay it on it's back like this?

That depends. On my own cart, I have a foam insert with cut-outs in the drawer used for wireless transmitters.

Other shelves have items in plastic boxes from the professional audio department at the 99¢ store. They stay more or less together when the cart is horizontal.

Obviously, you wouldn't use your drawers as a catch-all if you anticipated  a horizontal load-in.

David

I'm kind of low-tech, but I wouldn't be able to get the rest of my regular stuff into that car w/ that cart in there too.  It also looks like you'd have to unload everything to get at anything....  The cart, of course, is beautiful, inspiring even.

Spill it: who from Mill Valley can afford to buy a Chindha cart?  (Who is working that much?)

Philip Perkins

• 1 month later...

What happens with all the stuff in the drawers when you lay it on it's back like this?

yes, quite a problem. I'm still working on that part myself.

I am thinking I might make a custom follow cart (lots of drawers) that fits next to my cart in the back of the Jeep, but stays upright.

To get my cart to location I usually do the same thing with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can fit the car (boom poles in cases then slide underneath the cart). There is still plenty of room for a large Anvil Case trunk thing I own, or Pelican 1650 cases as well as my chair, clothes bla bla bla. I generally only do this to get to the production location and then back home at wrap. In between I have been able to get in a camera truck/van. I suppose it is either redesign my setup or buy a new vehicle.

I have a far less pretty version of these wheels on my cart. I mounted wheels from a scooter on the ends of the handles. I am talking about the Razor Scooter type things. The wheels look like large rollerblade wheels.

I did design my cart to be short enough to stand up in the back of a cargo van, and narrow enough to fit through most every doorway.

That might be part of the reason I can load everything in my car only putting down the 70% part of the the 70/30 back seat. I drove home from a short film yesterday with two passengers in my car, all my gear and our clothes. Granted it was a short film, but that's still pretty good in a Jeep.

I find myself having to work out of the van a lot these days, as well as having to load up a few times a day re multiple locations, so I really like not having to unload everything to get the cart out.  I guess problem this sells a lot of Sprinters (but too rich for me).

phil p

Are teamsters an issue?

-- Jan

I find myself having to work out of the van a lot these days, as well as having to load up a few times a day re multiple locations, so I really like not having to unload everything to get the cart out.

phil p

I am in the same boat as you Phil multiple location changes multiple loading and unloading my current SUV( Honda CRV) won't fit my rock n roller cart built so I have to remove the shelf and fold it though it only takes about 5 mins it is annoying not to mention having to load it and unload it. Which is why I want the Ford Transit connect so bad but just can't afford it when I have no car payment now.

Are teamsters an issue?

-- Jan

I can't speak for Phil but while I am union 85% of my work is non union so Teamsters are a non issue. On most gigs I am alone. If I am lucky enough to be on a job with a box truck and a friendly grip/ driver they will usually offer to let me load on for our location moves which really saves me time.

I am still happy with the way my Chrysler Town and Country serves me and my sound gear.  Two small boards for a ramp and I can roll my LSC upright sound cart in the back and stand it up.  Tested it before I bought the van.  Didn't work in the Honda then (2001) but it allows me to keep everything built and connected.  Have three drawers on the front of the cart which keep everything in place.  All the cases go in and lock everything in place.

The van was always referred to as " the soundman's car" cause it works so well.