Sound Devices 633 line to mic input

Mikro Addict

Line level input at the mixer is good for wireless mic receivers set to line level output. All of my Lectro SRb receivers feed my SD664 with line level (+6). As do my old Senn G3 receivers (+12) when I need 12 wireless. The only thing I need mic level input is for booms, plants, multbox. 

Amplification cable? Yeah, no. 

Is there an amplification cable that can be built?

- Not really (unlike a line-to-mic cable which only requires a couple of low cost resistors to attenuate the signal),  mic-to-line needs a complex circuit with some kind of power sourse.

As do my old Senn G3 receivers (+12)

The Sennheiser G series EK 100 portable receivers (with AF set to the max +12) will feed a line level.. but it will be a little anemic feeding Sound Device's +4dB inputs..

I’ve looked into the kortwich as well as the pink noise 3 channel expander. The problem with either of those setups is that you’ll lose your pre-fade isos which is a dealbreaker for me.

I’ve run into this same situation when I want to run my 664 in 12 channel mode. I could put an analog board in front of channels 7-12 line inputs to use as a control surface, but I would lose my pre fade isos. I would love to have a CL-12, but those are like hens’ teeth these days and I don’t know of any other control surfaces for the 6 series recorders.

22 minutes ago, Phillip C Dent said:

I’ve looked into the kortwich as well as the pink noise 3 channel expander. The problem with either of those setups is that you’ll lose your pre-fade isos which is a dealbreaker for me.

I’ve run into this same situation when I want to run my 664 in 12 channel mode. I could put an analog board in front of channels 7-12 line inputs to use as a control surface, but I would lose my pre fade isos. I would love to have a CL-12, but those are like hens’ teeth these days and I don’t know of any other control surfaces for the 6 series recorders.

I run a 664 rig for music work mostly, and for inputs 7-11 have an SD 552.  The prefade direct outs of the 552 feed the 664 7-11 inputs at trim level, and the post fade stereo mix out of the 552 goes onto the mix bus of the 664 via Link i/o.  This way I end up with prefade isos on 11 channels of the 664 while still being able to make a live mix that doesn't affect the isos.

12 hours ago, Phillip C Dent said:

Thanks Philip P! I did not know the link i/o worked like that with the 552. That is a great solution. I’d rather have the CL12 but the 552 is a great work around. Maybe I can find one relatively cheap.

I used to do the same with the Solice Mini. Doesn't need to be a 552.

You can do this with any device that can make separate prefade outs per input and also make a mix out on the main faders.  Link i/o works well with older SD gear but could work with any mixer if you get the mix level you are sending to the 664 dialed in.  My current rig fits in a PortBrace AO bag with other stuff (NOT wearing this, it sits on a cart) and has similar-feeling and operating knobs to the 664.  You do have to remind yourself that you solo all channels on the 664, not on the external device!