Utility Sound: Thoughts About

Jan McL

As a side note to the genny issue... A show I was on last week brought the genny to the second location of the day and parked it a mere 400 feet from the set.

The set/scene is a walk and talk down a neighborhood street where the two star actors are confronted at the end by a somewhat deranged old man.

I tried to intercept the truck driver, who said the Gaffer ordered the genny placed there due to cable length availability. A plead to the Gaffer fell on deaf ears.

At this point, it's time to get the mixer involved... my efforts have failed, and I know sound is going to suffer.

I reported this to the mixer and explained who I spoke with and the answers given.

His attempts to the driver, the Gaffer, the 1st AD, and the UPM also all failed...

A few days later the Director came by and said that post was having a real problem with the noise in that shot and wondered what could be done. You all know the answers to that... but the point is to illustrate that being a 3rd means you are the first soldier in line to kill these things and that's part of the job. Moving it up the food chain to the mixer's desk only happens when you have no other options.

As a side note to the genny issue... A show I was on last week brought the genny to the second location of the day and parked it a mere 400 feet from the set.

The set/scene is a walk and talk down a neighborhood street where the two star actors are confronted at the end by a somewhat deranged old man.

I tried to intercept the truck driver, who said the Gaffer ordered the genny placed there due to cable length availability. A plead to the Gaffer fell on deaf ears.

At this point, it's time to get the mixer involved... my efforts have failed, and I know sound is going to suffer.

I reported this to the mixer and explained who I spoke with and the answers given.

His attempts to the driver, the Gaffer, the 1st AD, and the UPM also all failed...

A few days later the Director came by and said that post was having a real problem with the noise in that shot and wondered what could be done. You all know the answers to that... but the point is to illustrate that being a 3rd means you are the first soldier in line to kill these things and that's part of the job. Moving it up the food chain to the mixer's desk only happens when you have no other options.

Good example. In that case, isn't it necessary to inform producer as well (which is probably mixer's job, as long as it's the last option), that his/her costs might gain on post?

If i have to turn of a fridge i put my car keys into it, that way i can't leave without turning it back on, saved my ass a few times in the hustle and bustle of wrapping a location.

Trev

I once put my keys in a fridge, total habit, but was I on the road, and had taken a taxi to location. I was in another taxi on way to the airport before I realized what I had done. Also realized that the keys that are put in a fridge need to be keys to a vehicle that is actually at the location.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to put my keys in the fridge -- these days, I do everything to get someone else to do it instead -- fridge compressors do cause Sound issues, but getting them quieted down is typically a Locations issue -- and better left in their (capable?) hands. I've had pretty good luck just suggesting to the Locations folks that they put their keys in the fridge. If no Locations department, have a PA do it?

~tt

• 9 years later...

Thank you, Lauren, for directing someone to JWSOUND  ---   I am still amazed at the wealth of useful information and discussion that is housed on this site, so many good discussions dating all the way back to the birth of this site in 2006. We have had so many enthusiastic, experienced and generous participants over the years, it is truly satisfying that we've lasted this long.