God mic ideas please...

RPSharman

On a previous film with this director, I used a PG58, my UH400/UCR411, and the JBL EON515.  It worked really well, but I would prefer not to tie up my plug-on Tx and my 411 Rx again on this next film.  And a new Lectro system is a big investment for a God mic.

I am shopping for a block 27 to use (overseas), but I was also thinking about some other options.

I have seen the Sony UWP Series plug-on and diversity receiver combo (under $1000).

Has anyone used the Sony?  Does it have limiters to avoid overloading the speaker?  Are there other systems with limiters like the Lectrosonics?  This director likes to peg the needle from time to time.  Audio quality is not so much an issue as range and durability.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

I've had great luck with the Sennheiser ew 135-p, G3 handheld(SKM 100)-Receiver(EK 100).  The small receiver can be Velcroed or Bongo Tied to any speaker and has great range.  It worked well at Mystery Mesa which was sometimes needed around 100 yards and performed flawlessly on stage with loud compressors and ritter fans.  The unit will set you back a cool $630.00.

On a previous film with this director, I used a PG58, my UH400/UCR411, and the JBL EON515.  It worked really well, but I would prefer not to tie up my plug-on Tx and my 411 Rx again on this next film.  And a new Lectro system is a big investment for a God mic.

I am shopping for a block 27 to use (overseas), but I was also thinking about some other options.

I have seen the Sony UWP Series plug-on and diversity receiver combo (under $1000).

Has anyone used the Sony?  Does it have limiters to avoid overloading the speaker?  Are there other systems with limiters like the Lectrosonics?  This director likes to peg the needle from time to time.  Audio quality is not so much an issue as range and durability.

Thanks,

Robert

Just a thought, Robert:

In these kinds of special situations, production (if asked / approached properly) will buy the rig on your behalf.

-- Jan

there are many, many possibilities for this, as it is basically a PA system!

" Are there other systems with limiters like the Lectrosonics?  "

all wireless mic TX's have limiters, of course their performance varies...

Shure wireless systems are hugely popular for PA systems, and come in a wide range of prices... there are other brands as well.

the Senn G3 pack RX is a diversity system;  G2's perform extremely well

."And a new Lectro system is a big investment for a God mic.  "

but if you add a Lectro system, you are adding an additional wireless mic to your package!

Anchor makes battery powered systems, and the wireless is built in; there are other brands with similar capabilities.

Mackie (and others) make powered speakers similar to JBL's EON's...

a visit to Sam Ash and or Guitar Center will prove interesting.  Ultimately it boils down to how much you want to spend, and how much you want to lug!  and yes, one way (purchase) or another (rental), the production pays.

You mention going overseas, so watch for AC power spec's; lots of stuff is universal, but lots isn't...

Having another system would be ok, but I have 9 Tx already including the plug-on, and I am keen to keep the God mic away from my other frequencies.  The Senn system seems to be a winner, and it can double for wireless to camera on another job. The price is good, and I "included" the system by charging properly for my gear. On the last film I billed independently at $200/wk.

The new EON 500 series are international and very light. No battery is ok.

Thanks for all your suggestion, and I welcome more since I'm a couple of weeks from buying.

Robert

Hey Robert, obviously many ways to achieve a VOG system. I have used or thrown together many as I'm sure you have. The best component mentioned so far IMO came from you. The EON 500 is more bang for the buck than any powered speaker I have ever used. I have a large and small 500 and they will blow a room apart w clean sound. Very light as you mention. I don't know how they do it but I am happy as can be w mine.

CrewC

The Mackies are also very popular, and both JBL and Mackie have recently upgraded them from the older original ones that were heavier.

OTOH, if we are to start being audio snobs about it, the QSC's  recently beat JBL (EON), Mackie, Peavy,and EV in a blind test I participated in.

so are we now plotting a major PA system?? multiple RX's to feed several powered speakers?? maybe a central mixer so the 1AD and the Director (and choreographer) can all have separate mic's ?? sub-woofer ?? and don't forget a dbx Driverack Pro for: EQ, Compression, Limiting, and feedback suppression...

This won't all fit on the camera truck...

The Shure PG58 is not a very good solution for VOG (voice of god) because it has a hardwired cable attached. VOG mics get hard use, and I've known the cable on the PG58 to go bad from the abuse, plus the cable-to-beltpack setup is a really nuisance.

So, Trew Audio has started modifying the Shure SM58 specifically for VOG used by installing a momentary push-to-talk switch. Of course, you can get a factory-made SM58 with an ON/OFF switch already build in, but it is not push button and it is not momentary. That means that it will often get left on, and often the AD will try to talk with the switch turned off. A momentary PTT button is really the best way.

I don't remember what the price is, and I doubt it's in the on-line store yet, so it might require and phone call or an email to the sales dept.

Glen Trew

My PG58 has a switch, and survived massive abuse with my Lectro UH400 attached.  If was often banged and scraped against things by the director, attempting to create various "war" noises for the actors to react to.  It's survival was no less than miraculous.

The momentary switch is a nice idea, but I have yet to find a push-button switch as quiet as the PG58 switch. With a God mic, a switch engaging can be very annoying.  I bought a Senn dynamic mic recently for a similar application, because it looked "nicer".  It stated "silent" switch on the website. Not so much!! I returned it.

I'm buying a three pack PG58 for $100. It's a steal!

I use my old CAD25 for a god mic or IFB to talent earpieces from director/producer.

It has a slide switch on it which is completely silent when activated or de-activated so no pops or thuds etc.

This type of switch has a technical name but I cant remember what it is?? Its kinda like a fader almost.

My mic is probably 15 years old and I think the new version CAD25A has a different switch on it. Mines been knocked around quite alot but its still hanging in there!! Good cheap mic to get thrown around. Is cardiod pattern which helps minimise feedback etc.

Cheers

Peter Mega

post-3356-130815087688_thumb.jpg

My apologies. I was mistaken about the PG58, confusing it with another mic by Shure that has a momentary push button switch and a hardwired cable. The PG58 should be fine, except that is has a latching slide switch instead of a momentary push-to-talk switch, which is preferred for VOG use. A properly wired PTT switch should be dead quiet (click/pop free) even with phantom power on the line.

Glen Trew