Siriu traveller + ambient recording

Dave Pullmer

Yes, thank you for bringing this model to our attention. It looks to be of quite decent quality at a welcome price (and it's good to have a recommendation from somebody using it for sound and not picture). My heavy/sturdy setups are based on Gitso legs with boompoles and my light/travel tripods are stripped/modified cheap aluminium creations - this seems a very interesting, relatively hardwearing, middle way without being of the price of the top level carbon fiber 'travellers'.

Does the middle 'boom' section easily remove? And is the diameter sufficient for any smallish boompole to replace it? For FX gathering I'd rather like to find a set of 'occasional legs' to keep attached to the bottom end of a medium boom and these look like they might provide that possibility.

Jez

5 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Yes, thank you for bringing this model to our attention. It looks to be of quite decent quality at a welcome price (and it's good to have a recommendation from somebody using it for sound and not picture). My heavy/sturdy setups are based on Gitso legs with boompoles and my light/travel tripods are stripped/modified cheap aluminium creations - this seems a very interesting, relatively hardwearing, middle way without being of the price of the top level carbon fiber 'travellers'.

Does the middle 'boom' section easily remove? And is the diameter sufficient for any smallish boompole to replace it? For FX gathering I'd rather like to find a set of 'occasional legs' to keep attached to the bottom end of a medium boom and these look like they might provide that possibility.

Jez

I've yet to find any tripod that can have its post replaced by a normal boom pole, but, as I posted in another thread, I've come up with a fast to implement way of attaching my boompole to a tripod when gathering FX - and that tripod can be smaller than the Manfrotto 055 in my example: https://drbadphil.com/if-only-boom-poles-could-grow-legs

Cheers,

Roland

Yea, I don’t think the middle section can be removed for a boom pole. But to be honest just adding a quick release to the tripod makes mic swaps between boom and tripod super fast, and given how small the stand folds up to fitting it in your backpack is no problem.

i also found when you had the legs extended on the tripod, and compressed them to more or a pole shape, you actually could swing a mic on the end of it for some simple fx gathering i would say.

53 minutes ago, Michael Render said:

You are right. The 7 series has mono pod functionality, but the 5 does not.

Just looked at the specs on (a seller's site, not Siriu) and it says "extendable and removable centre column" so unless they're wrong it should come out (it just wouldn't be classed as a monopod when removed).

I may have just been lucky with my (pretty old fashioned) Gitzo tripod legs and boompoles, as the larger fits the second largest section of my Avalon aluminium boom and the smaller my (mark one or two) Canford carbon fibre perfectly. The Avalon I use purely with the heavy Gitso as 'cathedral stand' setup - it is heavy, stable and goes quite high with the boom. The Canford I just pull off the rubber end cap and use it with tripod when desired.

Thanks again for pointing out the 5C, it looks pretty good all round for size, weight and price. Roland, also, yes I had already seen how you mount a boom to a tripod (I've read quite a few reviews and things on your site recently and I would recommend others to look through it), so if the Siriu wasn't a good fit for any of my booms I might fashion something similar.

I still like the idea of being able to (temporarily but easily) fix a super-small and light-ish tripod to a small/medium pole for FX gathering - even just for being able to stand it up relatively safely when doing some other thing ... the weight (860g or even less without centre section) isn't even an issue as I prefer a 'hodges' counterweight anyway.

Jez

1 hour ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

I may have just been lucky with my (pretty old fashioned) Gitzo tripod legs and boompoles, as the larger fits the second largest section of my Avalon aluminium boom and the smaller my (mark one or two) Canford carbon fibre perfectly. The Avalon I use purely with the heavy Gitso as 'cathedral stand' setup - it is heavy, stable and goes quite high with the boom. The Canford I just pull off the rubber end cap and use it with tripod when desired.

It's a thankless task to find tripod legs that fit a specific boom pole (not least as tripod specs usually give very little info on diameters of the central post), so it is cheering to hear that you have been fortunate twice over!

Cheers,

Roland

PS And thanks, Jez, for the kind words about my blog.