I built an all-in-one sound cart

KenMartini

My idea was to create a cart that contained everything for small and mid level assignments. I machined the handles, positional cable hooks, and the internal antenna masts locking blocks. I also made a retractable headphone holder under the right side tilt up table top. The handles are separated so I can get to the boom poles without lifting them over a handle bar. The 2 drawer units remove quickly when transporting the cart laying down.

I used 1010 and 1020 T-slot profiles. The counter top surfaces are 3mm carbon fiber. I incorporated the Rack-N-Bag system with their docking brackets. The equipment in its rack can be removed in seconds and placed in an outer nylon shell to becomes a typical sound bag. I keep a Sound Devices MixPre-6 in one of the drawers for backup. The system is powered by a PSC 20 amp Pelican when on the cart, or the built in Smart battery and Audioroot distro on the rack when it is removed. I mounted the PSC power supply/charger on the cart for shore power.

Sound Cart-02.jpg

Sound Cart-01.jpg

Sound Cart-03.jpg

Sound Cart-04.jpg

Sound Cart-09.jpg

Sound Cart-13.jpg

Sound Cart-14.jpg

Sound Cart-15.jpg

Sound Cart-16.jpg

Sound Cart-17.jpg

Sound Cart-18.jpg

Sound Cart-19.jpg

Sound Cart-20.jpg

Sound Cart-21.jpg

Sound Cart-31 - Copy.jpg

• KenMartini changed the title to I built an all-in-one sound cart

Way good!  Very clean--love the fader-surface drawer!

Cart-nerd question: do the big rear wheels have individual axles or is it a single axle that runs thru both?  It looks from the mini wheels on the handle that you transpo this thing on its back?  With a ramp or?   How has the Rack 'n Bag thing worked out for bag work off the cart?  thx

On 3/2/2023 at 2:01 PM, Philip Perkins said:

Way good!  Very clean--love the fader-surface drawer!

Cart-nerd question: do the big rear wheels have individual axles or is it a single axle that runs thru both?  It looks from the mini wheels on the handle that you transpo this thing on its back?  With a ramp or?   How has the Rack 'n Bag thing worked out for bag work off the cart?  thx

When transporting in the van, it is upright. When in the truck or SUV it is on its side. The Makpac drawers are removed as well as the Rack-N-Bag. The axles are two piece and inserted in the center of the center of the T-slot profiles. They have 2 screws holding them in place. The Rack-N-Bag is awesome. with a couple of turns of the docking bracket it released and it is self contained for smaller gigs, or lightening the cart to take it up stairs.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:15 PM, OB1 said:

Very nice. I'm trying to do the same thing, coming from a larger to mid/small rack for all(most) jobs that I work.

What are those blue drawers that you used?

The drawers are Makpac (Makita)

On 3/2/2023 at 3:08 PM, JHeath said:

Great job!  It looks like we all have questions about your cart build.  I'm part way through a build for a location music recording cart.  How did you implement the fold down sections of your work surface?

The surfaces are 3mm thick carbon fiber plates. The shelf brackets are 12" stainless steel folding: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZCZLVWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

• 3 months later...