Roll number

takev

Using CF cards, I use cards more than large enough for a whole day. I've always made the folder name the date. If the workflow wants to download my cards at lunch and wrap, I do the A and B card thing (and each folder gets a sound report because I use the ones my Deva generates).

Question: In this kind of workflow, do post people still pay attention to userbits? I used to use a year - month - date - shooting day format.... then I started to wonder if anyone ever paid attention to that because of daily folders (and Deva filenames being the folder name (date)).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: In this kind of workflow, do post people still pay attention to userbits? I used to use a year - month - date - shooting day format.... then I started to wonder if anyone ever paid attention to that because of daily folders (and Deva filenames being the folder name (date)).

I haven't put anything in the user bit info since 2006 or so. Never heard a complaint or got a request to do so (but see my other post above :-) ).

With most timecode generating devices the date is automatically put in the user bits. It may be that it has been there all along.

In my case it hasn't. The user bit value is always set to "00 00 00 00". I used to do it in the Nagra and DAT days and was even fastidious about rejamming the slate after a reload so the user bits reflected the proper reel number, or proper production date after midnight on a split/night etc, but in the non linear age I gave all that up. Figure I've got enough other things to keep track of in this day and age, and it didn't seem like it was of much use to anyone down the line -- no one requested it or asked for it back once I took it away. I understand your suggestion that it might reference a date otherwise unmarked, but with the date already on the visual slate and in the file metadata, file info, sound report, front of the DVD etc etc I felt like the date was/is covered. Not trying to talk anyone out of using the date in the user bits, just sharing my own preference/experience.