Microphone Storage: Toward a Finessed Minimalism

Jan McL

4820980268_43084d4430_d.jpg

Two rows of pick n' pluck foam between mics feels now like a huge waste of space.

Imagined them compressed between a nice piece of foam hot-glued to the side of the drawer, and a spring-loaded rod (or two) attached to a foamed pushing device.

4821018058_e2dec2c2bd_m_d.jpg

Imagine them in overlapping canvas pockets that rest on some foam.

4821019952_6b2b5a6e7e_m_d.jpg

Imagine what YOU imagine...

Shopping for ideas.

-- Jan

[Who hopes things pick up in NY soon.]

P.S. Further search yielded this:

http://www.caseclub.com/custom-foam-inserts/index.php?directory=

Hi Jan,

How about corrugated plastic with self stick craft foam lining the cavities.  You could put the same number of items in 2/3 the space.  Make the cavities with the plastic by cutting grooves and putting it together like an egg crate.  A thin layer of solid foam underneath would provide cushioning and the craft foam would cradle the mics.  Assuming you make the openings tight enough they wouldn't be able to move around at all.  The corrugated plastic comes black as does the craft foam.  You could even color code with the craft foam as it comes in lots of colors.  Hope I'm describing it all well enough.  By the way what brands are those mics?

Best,

Bernie

Hope things pick up in NY soon?. So you want to replace your radios with guns????? Hmmm. What do you have in mind to replace a slow work day with???

Ha, Jack, hadn't quite put the two ideas together but...there have been a couple of days when a weapon would have transmitted sound better than the radios I just sold in the 700 range.

Bernie, your idea has lots of merit. Have a couple of useful things crafted from corrugated plastic that have lasted long and well. I think you're on to something. Vin's right, the blue mics are Audio Ltd. Envoy. The others are Zax TX900's.

Graham, your idea also has merit. Need the mics to rest on their sides, so the pouches would need to open on the 'long' side of the rectangle. Extant Comtek PR 216 cases have velcro already installed on one side. A little dab of the opposite velcro sewn on the other, a re-engineering of the pouch to open on the long side, and I'd have a modular system.

Off to cogitate more.

Thanks, fellas.

-- Jan

Cogitation in progress:

4823567133_c9114cb2f8_d.jpg

Prototype = 8" x 5" x 2.5"

Will reduce the final version to 4" wide and perhaps increase the divider height to better protect exposed mic tops.

May yet have to angle the mics to achieve less than 2.5" height.

Who's got some corrugated plastic hanging about to trade for a wee sip or two of good scotch?

-- Jan

I needed to improve the storage of my transmitters also and this thread has givin me the motivation to do something, even if its wrong.

Foam-core board is used here along with a hot glue gun an gaffers tape. Should hold six Lectro SM's , two without belt clips.

post-272-130815087827_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815087831_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815087835_thumb.jpg

post-272-13081508784_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815087827_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815087831_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815087835_thumb.jpg

post-272-13081508784_thumb.jpg

Who's got some corrugated plastic hanging about to trade for a wee sip or two of good scotch?

-- Jan

Hey, Jan

Stratacore or Coroplast is pretty inexpensive, maybe $6 a 20" X 30" sheet in 4 mm thickness. Try quick print sign places or art supply places that stock sheet goods. I used to buy it at a place called Pearl that's gone out of business in the last year. Also a fabulous material for roll-your-own sunshades for small monitors or dust shields for shelves on a sound cart. I've made lightweight eyebrows for some camera folks I know out of the same material.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks @Jason :)

@Jim, glad to have the proper nomenclature for my little shopping spree later today. Usually have some around, scavenged from the set-trash, but not at the moment. Didn't realize Pearl had gone out of business. Shame. Great store. There are enough soundies in NY/NJ I figured maybe somebody had some who would relish an excuse to have a cocktail since the bar here is apparently well stocked :)

Such clever ideas all around. Liking Kevin's mint container mod. Keeping that idea for future use.

While constructing the TX container prototype, was reminded of how I set up the TX's for the first and last reality show I did. It was a 16-section egg crate addition to a cardboard box, with the names / pictures (laminate sheets provided by production) of all the people taped to their own section where their TX lived when the contestants slept. Made 'counting', re-batting, wiring and un-wiring easy since their preferred wiring rigs were stored along with the TX, all in one portable box. I had my own sections that contained tape, transpore, mounts, extra lavs, wind protection, etc. Worked well.

Anything that eliminates having to think through a situation = good.

Similarly [and now I'm off on another tangent], I've set up my wiring gear so that there are two items I need to carry off along with the TX's:

• Lav box
  • Belt pack kit

If I have those two things and a TX in my pocket, I can do what ever I need to do, without thinking.

With this new transportable TX container, I can take that with me for those rare situations where I have to go off set to wire a crapload of people.

-- Jan