small miniDV camera mics

Michael P Clark

I am speaking of a small 3ccd camera, prosumer type! The size of your palm! Some of these cameras have 3.5mm unbalanced inputs. Does anyone know of any mics that would work with these. I was thinking of a directional lav tape mounted just around the lens. Would a Sennheiser ME4 work? If wired for 3.5mm jack? Would I need a power supply? I know some of these are dependant on the camera, but I am just trying to provide some sort of better mic for a handheld camera of that size. The camera is always within arms reach, thought maybe a cardioid lav would work. Has anyone heard of anything with greater reach in a lav setup? Thanks

Thanks Oleg, that site had lot's of options. Even a lav that claims to have a Hypercardiod and mini-shotgun interchangeable element. I'll have to do more research to find that out. The shotgun suggestions are for bigger cameras. The camera that will be used is fit in your palm size. Where the lens is almost bigger than the body! Typically we don't work with these, but I have a client that wants to use one as a "confession cam",. So a "low" profile is necessary. A boom mic would be bigger than the camera.