AA rechargeable battery supply

Phil Palmer

I've used the Powerex with good results also.  However, the comment about self-discharge is absolutely correct.  I don't bother charging them until the day before I use them.  Takes some resource management, but you get much better results that way.  Consistent 3-4 hours in a 100 mW SM transmitter.

Also bought some Lenmar 2700 mAh from Fry's and they work just as well as the Powerex. 

I've used the Powerex with good results also.  However, the comment about self-discharge is absolutely correct.  I don't bother charging them until the day before I use them.  Takes some resource management, but you get much better results that way.  Consistent 3-4 hours in a 100 mW SM transmitter.

Also bought some Lenmar 2700 mAh from Fry's and they work just as well as the Powerex.

I think, at the very least, topping up cells at night or "day before" as you said is good practice even if only to keep an eye out for cells that have gone bad or other small issues which can cause hiccups in the field. Hiccups make me sweat.

As an aside: the 2400mAh LSD Imedions are on the way!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I realise I'm digging up an older thread here, but it's been 6 months since I've had the 2400mAh low-self-discharge Imedions and they've been fantastic.

I get 12 hours out of each G3 transmitter and receiver (I can simply swap out the cells anytime after the 10 hour mark without worry), and they stay fully charged in devices I rarely use.

I pulled out my H4n for the first time in four months not long ago and the cells were still showing as "full."

As older high-self-discharge NiMH cells approach the end of their service life, I'll mostly likely be replacing them with the Imedions.

I realise I'm digging up an older thread here, but it's been 6 months since I've had the 2400mAh low-self-discharge Imedions and they've been fantastic.

I get 12 hours out of each G3 transmitter and receiver (I can simply swap out the cells anytime after the 10 hour mark without worry), and they stay fully charged in devices I rarely use.

I pulled out my H4n for the first time in four months not long ago and the cells were still showing as "full."

As older high-self-discharge NiMH cells approach the end of their service life, I'll mostly likely be replacing them with the Imedions.

Thanks for the update. Good to know.

I used to use these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646229-REG/Ansmann_5035092_5035092_AA_2850mAh_Rechargeable.html

...and now use these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/678991-REG/Ansmann_5035442_5035442_MAX_E_AA_2500mAh.html

...and am more than happpy I did the switch, even if I lose a little mAh. Similar to Eneloop batts. Being able to recharge less often is more than worth the price imo.

I've been using the Rayovac Hybrids (2100mAh) for a few years . They do not self-discharge anywhere near as fast as conventional NiMH's.  I consistently get 10-12 hours with G2's without ever shutting them down for lunch breaks and such, charging them a few days (or-so) before a shoot., The manufacturers claim the cells retain 70% to 85% of their capacity after one year.  They are relatively cheap too. About $10USD for four. (Sears)

It certainly sounds like there are a lot of good low-self-discharge NiMH options!

For me the big unknown is how Maha (the Imedion maker) will respond when (if) I have a warranty issue.

Energizer and Duracell will go out of their way for a customer. I once had an Energizer travel charger stop working and it took two Rayovac cells with it. For my troubles I received a new (updated) travel charger with 4 AA 2450mAh cells, another 4 pack of 2450mAh cells, and two 5$ energizer coupons. Oh and a letter of apology. A letter of apology in the year 2009; when no one was responsible for anything! Shock and awe.

Durcell wasn't as generous, but equally willing to remedy any situation.

It certainly sounds like there are a lot of good low-self-discharge NiMH options!

For me the big unknown is how Maha (the Imedion maker) will respond when (if) I have a warranty issue.

Energizer and Duracell will go out of their way for a customer. I once had an Energizer travel charger stop working and it took two Rayovac cells with it. For my troubles I received a new (updated) travel charger with 4 AA 2450mAh cells, another 4 pack of 2450mAh cells, and two 5$ energizer coupons. Oh and a letter of apology. A letter of apology in the year 2009; when no one was responsible for anything! Shock and awe.

Durcell wasn't as generous, but equally willing to remedy any situation.

Thomas Distributing has replaced chargers and batteries for me and for other customers also.  Excellent service and fast shipping, as well as competitive prices.  Don't know if they have a specific arrangement with Maha, but they clearly back the products.

Robert

Thomas Distributing has replaced chargers and batteries for me and for other customers also.  Excellent service and fast shipping, as well as competitive prices.  Don't know if they have a specific arrangement with Maha, but they clearly back the products.

Robert

Good to know... while I bought the Imedion cells from Paul's Finest here in Canada, our La Crosse charger was from Thomas Distributing.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the POWEREX 2700 mAh Rechargeable AA's and the Maha MH-C9000 charger.  Initial break-in time for the batteries is 2 days.  (Yes, 2 days).  After that, I am able to run a SD 552 using all 4 channels with phantom (but the recorder and Digital Outs set to off) for 6 hours in near 0ºF.  I did 3 weekends in a row.  I have 3 sets of batteries.  When I came back, I still had 2 sets fully charged.

As to running the Lectro SMQV TX (@ 100mW), I dunno exactly, because it runs mine all day (indoors), 8 hours, with some shutting off for lunch and long camera set-up breaks.  Then I take them out and recharge.

I have less experience with rechargeables than many of you, but in the many years previous to this, I have only had unimpressive results from rechageables.  With the POWEREX, so far so good.

Hi Phil,

The Lectro read out is NOT reliable when used with rechargeable AA's. NiMh have a low output voltage even fully charged (1.2 Volts) and the Lectro battery circuit breakpoint from green to red is right around this voltage. Test your battery by how long it will run the transmitter, ignoring the LED. The only reliable indicator for NiMh is a timer.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

I've been using AA rechargeable batteries for some time now.  Mixed results with different manufacturers, but my 'go to' has been the Ansmann 2850 mAh AA battery purchased through Thomas Distributing.  My last order of batteries was less than stellar in their performance, with several of the 16 I bought not holding a charge at all.  Lectro transmitters going to red immediately after power up.  I am giving a look at my charger as well, a PowerMax version that I see many others use. 

My question is this...  What version and manufacture are you having good luck with?

Thanks.

P

With the POWEREX, so far so good.

I second that! I'm using the Powerex 2700s in my G3s (30 mw) and Wisycoms (50 mw). I've been using them on location the last month and I easily get through 10-12 hour days without ever having to change batteries. Even though I never turn the units off and we're running and gunning both inside and outside in -20' C. You gotta love that!  In normal room temperature I max them out at a pretty constant 15 hours runtime.

But like LarryF said, you can't trust the meters, you kind of have to know how long they last.

/Rasmus